Tennessee will host Troy in 2020

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
That 2012 game was quite the shootout.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee football will host Troy for a non-conference football game at Neyland Stadium in 2020, UT announced on Thursday.

The Vols and Trojans will meet on Nov. 21, 2020.

Tennessee previously announced 2020 non-conference games against Charlotte (Sept. 5), at Oklahoma (Sept. 12) and versus Furman (Sept. 19).

Tennessee and Troy will meet for the second time ever after facing off in 2012 when the Vols and the Trojans totaled the most combined yards in a game (1,439) in SEC history. Led by quarterback Tyler Bray’s school-record 530 passing yards, Tennessee defeated Troy, 55-48, on Nov. 3, 2012 in Knoxville.

Tennessee’s complete 2020 schedule with dates and opponents for conference games is expected to be announced later this year.

Got a feeling this next time we meet, defense might actually be played some................

Reactions: VOLFan65
Jesus Murphy! Am I reading that right? Is our OOC schedule for next year Oklahoma, Troy, Furman and Charlotte? Yikes, that's awful.

Jesus Murphy! Am I reading that right? Is our OOC schedule for next year Oklahoma, Troy, Furman and Charlotte? Yikes, that's awful.
In what way? Awful good because we might lose more than 1 because we’re playing some tough teams or awful because it’s a soft OOC schedule?

Tennessee has no business playing the likes of Furman and Charlotte
Why not? We play 2 tough OOC opponents in OU (sure loss) and Troy.....and Charlotte beat the flying F out of us last year everywhere except the scoreboard (barely). We’re one of the worst college football programs in the country right now and desperately need wins....I’m good with the schedule.

Just about like an alabummer having no business playing a mercer. Or Georgia playing an Austin Peay. Is what it is. Take your little ones to these blow outs. Will be a cheaper trip.

Reactions: TJSVOLS

It's likely we will play 3 of the top 4 teams in 2020 (Bama, OU, and UGA) and potentially 4 of the Top 5 if UF is #5 in 2020. Wanna guess how many other teams can say that?

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
images

Reactions: feathersax
Charlotte is a FBS team in the Sun Belt Conference so I'm not sure what there is to apologize for there. I'm not a big fan of the games against FCS teams either, but they're just a reality with everybody filling out 12 game schedules. Sometimes there's not much choice.

I've said before, I'd like to see us play one OOC power 5 in Neyland every year. I think if the play-off expands it'll be beneficial to beef up our OOC schedule. Some of the other schools, namely Florida, Georgia, and USCjr are doing it already, all 3 are playing 2 power 5 OOC's this year and have plans in the future to play 3. We haven't played 2 since 2003. We could add some games that would fit that bill that we could likely win AND get exposure in states we need to recruit, I am thinking home and homes with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Maryland, etc.

Reactions: sport3500
I've said before, I'd like to see us play one OOC power 5 in Neyland every year. I think if the play-off expands it'll be beneficial to beef up our OOC schedule. Some of the other schools, namely Florida, Georgia, and USCjr are doing it already, all 3 are playing 2 power 5 OOC's this year and have plans in the future to play 3. We haven't played 2 since 2003. We could add some games that would fit that bill that we could likely win AND get exposure in states we need to recruit, I am thinking home and homes with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Maryland, etc.
Home and home with Virginia Tech would be great also

VN Store

Back