Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Pittsburgh

One of my wife's favorite childhood memories was going to visit her "Daddy" (RIP AQCS S.K. Eddingfield, USN, Ret.) for lunch at NAS Oceana, and seeing him crawl out of the nose of a Tomcat he had been working on. He liked the 'Cat, and never said a cross word about it (I remember him saying "that thing would get gone in a hell of a hurry"), but the Phantom was his one true love. I've had the pleasure of being aboard a naval vessel twice, but never a carrier (2x USS Bataan).

Once again, a phenomenal post OMG. You are simply awesome, and Volnation is better for having you

A friend of mine was CO of the USS Boxer (LHD-4) sister ship to the Bataan (LHD-5).

Reactions: DeusExMachina
My uncle was a ferry pilot in New Guinea and the Philippines, so basically I can claim anything in the inventory!

But, yeah, ya gotta love the old Jug!

A P-47D of the 78th Fighter Group. (NARA)

View attachment 394546
My uncle flew 74 missions over North Africa and Italy. My brother was the exec of the 1st of the 101st during Desert Storm. He led the attack on Iraqi radar on the 1st night of the war. He also led the attack on the Republican Guards in what became known as the Highway of Death.

My uncle flew 74 missions over North Africa and Italy. My brother was the exec of the 1st of the 101st during Desert Storm. He led the attack on Iraqi radar on the 1st night of the war. He also led the attack on the Republican Guards in what became known as the Highway of Death.

While the F-117s got most of the ink and air time for the opening of Desert Storm, it was the 101st who had the more important mission. Flying in the dark, on instruments, 50 feet off the ground and under radio silence the AH-64 Apaches of Task Force NORMANDY snuck up on pair of early warning radar sites 450 miles inside Iraq. They blew a 20-mile hole in the Iraqi radar net using HELLFIRE missiles, 2.75" rockets and 30mm cannon allowing strike packages totaling close to 1,000 fighters and bombers of the Coalition to storm through and hit targets all over Iraq.

Commanders and staff of the 1st Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment (Attack) after the raid. Maj. Gen. Richard A. Cody, then a lieutenant colonel and the battalion commander, is seated at center. (US Army)

Apache-DesertStorm.jpg

Last edited:
While the F-117s got most of the ink and air time for the opening of Desert Storm, it was the 101st who had the more important mission. Flying in the dark, on instruments, 50 feet off the ground and under radio silence the AH-64 Apaches of Task Force NORMANDY snuck up on pair of early warning radar sites 450 miles inside Iraq. They blew a 20-mile hole in the Iraqi radar net using HELLFIRE missiles, 2.75" rockets and 30mm cannon allowing strike packages totaling close to 1,000 fighters and bombers of the Coalition to storm through and hit targets all over Iraq.

Commanders and staff of the 1st Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment (Attack) after the raid. Maj. Gen. Richard A. Cody, then a lieutenant colonel and the battalion commander, is seated at center. (US Army)

View attachment 394922
My brother is seated at the right

Thank God for creating this great Nation so full of dedicated people that all deserve to be called a Hero!!!

God bless them all!!!

Semper Fidelis!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: OneManGang
The last time I visited Dobbins AFB for an Air Show (Blue Angels performed), a member of the press approached and asked what had brought us out that day. Without hesitation, I replied, "The F14." The reporter blinked. Then, the unmistakable roar of the twin F-110-GE-400 turbofan engines made further discussion impossible. I pointed to the F14 running up, and the reporter turned her attention to it.

Tour The Flying Pig with an enthusiast.
[VIDEO=]

Operation El Dorado Canyon, April 1986. F111E’s out of RAF Heyford raid on Libya. I was on search and rescue patrol in the Med at the time, based out of Rota, Spain.
18 F111’s had 85 laser guided bombs and had 82 hits and 3 misses. One bomber was lost in the Gulf of Sidra. Very awesome and deadly plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tin Man

VN Store

Back