Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Notre Dame

OneManGang

Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Notre Dame

Boys and girls, the stage was set. It was a gorgeous November day in East Tennessee and the University of Tennessee Volunteers were playing the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish. It was going to be the Legend of Rockne against the Legend of The General, the Notre Dame Fight Song against Rocky Top, the Golden Domes versus the Power “T,” Touchdown Jesus versus The Spirit of The Hill, it just doesn’t get any better. Both bands, steeped in tradition and pride, put on outstanding shows at half.

There was, from a Tennessee standpoint, one small problem. After a bone-headed call to end the first half, UT saw its prospects for a successful trip to the SEC Championship Game lying crumpled on the turf of Shields-Watkins Field. A dumb (and there is no other word for it) play call was compounded by an equally poor center snap and worse blocking to leave Erik Ainge with a separated shoulder.

Rick Clausen came in to replace Ainge in the second half and showed he had his brother’s gift for fighting to the final gun. He also showed he had Casey’s knack for making hammer-headed throws. As he was once again in the grasp of several Irish defenders, Clausen tried to force a throw in spite of at least three hands on his throwing arm. Clausen’s two yard toss landed in the arms of an ND linebacker who was next seen in the north end zone. Game, Set, Match.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
Just exactly how many brain cells does it take to call a kneel-down on second-and-eight from your own 32-yard line with ten seconds left before half??

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!
UT took their first possession and roared down the field, then stalled and settled for a field goal. Twenty-one minutes and six seconds later (game time) the Vols scored again. Face it, Tennessee made NO breaks Saturday. Notre Dame had no fumbles or interceptions.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!
The defense played well and stepped up, but with no turnovers, there was no way they could affect Tennessee’s point total. Tennessee’s offensive line was challenged and found wanting. It seems their idea of “more steam” involves sandwiches at Gus’ Deli.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.
Great Day, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK!!! Does ANYBODY on Tennessee’s offensive line staff understand that concept?? If all Michael Munoz is going to do is watch defensive ends and outside linebackers whizzing by on their way to the quarterback, why not just put one of those flashing lane-shift signs TDOT uses on I-40 on the left side and be done with it.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.
Note to UT running backs: “cut and slice” does NOT mean “find a pile of defensive players and fall into the midst of them.” That being said, Cedric Houston did do a bit of nifty broken–field running to score Tennessee’s sole touchdown.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
Yeah, whatever. I have a question for Tennessee fans. If ten of the opposing players ran to the sideline after a kickoff, would Corey Larkins go find that last guy and run into him? Gentle Jesus, my ELEVEN-YEAR OLD gets the concept of “follow your blocking and look for running lanes!" And he plays defensive line!!! The folks who sit near me (who’ve put up with my antics for sixteen seasons now) were much amused when my Younger Son&Heir stood up after Larkins ignored an open lane to run into a pile of Irish and Vols, raised his arms imploringly and asked just what the heck Larkins thought he was doing! One of my neighbors in JJ, a stalwart from Atlanta, grinned and said, “You must be proud, he’s one of you!”

I am.

7. Carry the fight to Notre Dame and keep it there for sixty minutes.
Notre Dame had the ball for 27:28 and the defense fought them the whole way. Only 8:21 of UT’s possession time produced points. You do the math.

The 2004 Vols have fought a long and costly campaign through the stretch of eight consecutive games from Florida way back in September to Saturday’s tilt with the Irish. Volunteer fans can take some solace in the upcoming open date. Surely there is a reasonable chance Tennessee can go that ONE Saturday without putting a quarterback in the hospital! Better than that, the Vols’ remaining regular season opponents are Vandy and the Kentucky MildKats. The question Vol fans must ponder for the next two weeks, though, is whether UT can generate enough offense to overcome the fourth-best high school team in Tennessee and the fifth best Recreation League team from the Bluegrass State.

MAXOMG

© 2004 One Man Gang

Once again, good article. But when I see your initials I automatically think "Oh my God". ( $1 to GiveHim6)

OMG is an internet acronym for Oh My God/Goodness. ;)

Well, then, I will simply state that "OMG" is, in this case, shorthand for the following:

"People of this land bow down! The mightiest one of all doth come! He walks with greatness in his stride, this master of the sacred thread, this son of lightning, sought by kings. By OMG the earthmen know him, know his name from Dyersburg to Dunlap. Now he comes this son of thunder, bow yourself before his presence, shield your eyes lest his brilliance blind you. Quickly, now, he comes this way, the mightiest of the internet warriors, the One Man Gang comes thy way!"

Now, isn't OMG just a whole lot easier?

:lolup: :dlol:

Originally posted by OneManGang@Nov 7, 2004 11:47 PM
Well, then, I will simply state that "OMG" is, in this case, shorthand for the following:

"People of this land bow down! The mightiest one of all doth come! He walks with greatness in his stride, this master of the sacred thread, this son of lightning, sought by kings. By OMG the earthmen know him, know his name from Dyersburg to Dunlap. Now he comes this son of thunder, bow yourself before his presence, shield your eyes lest his brilliance blind you. Quickly, now, he comes this way, the mightiest of the internet warriors, the One Man Gang comes thy way!"

Now, isn't OMG just a whole lot easier?

:lolup: :dlol:

:bs:

:eek:lol:

Originally posted by volzfan08@Nov 8, 2004 8:58 PM
don't worry about UF Rules or Vandy Fan. i know the person. he is both of the two names. he works with me and he saw me on this site and decided to mess with me and everyone else. B)

:banghead: Please, please ban this idiot 'UF Rules'! He's just cluttering the board with SPAM.

VN Store

Back