Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

That's a point I started to mention. Basilio seems to be heaping praise on Gainey and criticizing Clark, while also admitting that Gainey has settled in an area where it's a bit easier to hit on. Clark is swimming with the sharks, which makes his hits more visible, but also highlights his misses, as well. Not entirely fair to hold those guys to the same standard when they fish in different ponds, but perhaps fair to question if Clark is spending his time wisely fishing in the pond he's in.
Which will only be determined by the signing class, for all we know that is the strategy they are implementing…Clark target 2-3 blue chips and devote your time to them, Gainey and Polinsky target that 30-150 range of guys or under the radar guys and build relationships there.

Reactions: GenRRN
I’m not concerned….yet. This is eerily similar to last year, but we still have a lot of quality players left we’re pursuing. If we miss on Estrella, Dillone, Cyril, Demary, and Carr….then I’ll start to worry what 2 years in a row of Fall collapses means big picture. Long way to go though, so for now I’ll wait and see.

I’m not concerned….yet. This is eerily similar to last year, but we still have a lot of quality players left we’re pursuing. If we miss on Estrella, Dillone, Cyril, Demary, and Carr….then I’ll start to worry what 2 years in a row of Fall collapses means big picture. Long way to go though, so for now I’ll wait and see.
I think wait and see is all any of us can do, and hope for the best. Hard to ignore the pattern, though. If I assign a number to my level of concern, with 1 being no concern, and 10 being alarming, I'm probably around a 7.5, right now, pushing 8. It's hard to pretend like being the bridesmaid isn't getting old while our rivals rake in targets.

I wouldn't likely expect a fall decision on Somto Cyril (only pointing this out since you mentioned him by name). Him reclassifying isn't a slam dunk, so I'd look for a spring/summer 2023 decision.

I stand corrected. I forgot that he was an assistant at those programs prior. Really just feels he was brought in because of his relationship with Chandler. That is an interesting point that Barnes hasn't fired any of his assistants at Tennessee to this point. It's just hard not to think there is a better fit out there.

Plus, if I recall correctly a primary reason CRB was let go by Texas was that he wouldn't replace assistants

I think wait and see is all any of us can do, and hope for the best. Hard to ignore the pattern, though. If I assign a number to my level of concern, with 1 being no concern, and 10 being alarming, I'm probably around a 7.5, right now, pushing 8. It's hard to pretend like being the bridesmaid isn't getting old while our rivals rake in targets.

I wouldn't likely expect a fall decision on Somto Cyril (only pointing this out since you mentioned him by name). Him reclassifying isn't a slam dunk, so I'd look for a spring/summer 2023 decision.

I think it’s totally fair to be at an 8. I think I’m at like a 6.5 or 7. It is concerning that we seem to be finishing 2nd quite a bit 2 years in a row, but at least this Fall still has about 6-7 prospects we are pursuing that could change things in a hurry. Landing Demary would be a nice start, but I think I really need to see this staff land just one of Estrella or Dillone to feel a lot better.

Prior to White, our AD has been the most inept in the conference for decades. It’s hard to overstate how lucky we are that Texas boosters are meddlers, and Dave Hart fell into a bucket of serendipity— giving us Barnes. He is the best hire our AD has made since Neyland. The idiots who complain about timeouts and lack of Final Four appearances just can’t comprehend what he’s done to stabilize our program, AD and university. Of course he makes mistakes. All coaches do. That said, I wouldn’t trade the guy for anyone who’d take the job.

Agree with all of that. Although Pat Summitt is the best hire since Neyland. And Tony Vitello might be right behind her.

We didn’t hire him as a high school assistant, many coaches get their start at the HS level, that’s hardly uncommon. As I’ve said for months I will wait and see how the class pans out (not saying the board isn’t thinning), but criticizing Clark for identifying 2 Top 10 guys early in the process and having us in great shape only to miss out when Kentucky comes calling at the last minute hardly seems like a fair reason to criticize. Maybe he shouldn’t target those guys and should just stick in the 40-100 range where his hit rate would probably be much higher 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is my thinking. Wallace and Edwards are two players that were down to us and UK, and the blue blood got them. Aside from Kennedy Chandler (who had ties to the state), what other players fit that description, going essentially head to head with UK? In both Barnes' and Pearl's tenures?

We are swimming in deep, deep waters, and we are going to lose battles. I just don't think some of our fans understand/realize that this is the highest level of recruiting this program has done in the last 40 years, and it's fun to follow.

Agree with all of that. Although Pat Summitt is the best hire since Neyland. And Tony Vitello might be right behind her.
Can’t argue with Pat. I worked skills camps for her during my undergraduate Summers. She’s the toughest leader I’ve ever met, and in my mind a better coach than Wooden in that she did more with less. I didn’t mention her because somehow in my mind she was a kid who inherited a job no one cared about, and then built a team, a program and an entire sport. Oddly I don’t see her as a hire. I think Barnes is unique in that he stabilized the whole AD at a time when there was only instability. There is no TV, White, or Heupel without that stability. Sadly it’s a thing Fulmer could not provide. We’re living in the first hopeful era of UT sports in a long time.

Can’t argue with Pat. I worked skills camps for her during my undergraduate Summers. She’s the toughest leader I’ve ever met, and in my mind a better coach than Wooden in that she did more with less. I didn’t mention her because somehow in my mind she was a kid who inherited a job no one cared about, and then built a team, a program and an entire sport. Oddly I don’t see her as a hire. I think Barnes is unique in that he stabilized the whole AD at a time when there was only instability. There is no TV, White, or Heupel without that stability. Sadly it’s a thing Fulmer could not provide. We’re living in the first hopeful era of UT sports in a long time.

Great points.

Especially, “and then built a team, a program and an entire sport.”

And

“Barnes is unique in that he stabilized the whole AD at a time when there was only instability. There is no TV, White, or Heupel without that stability.”

I’d also add that when Barnes retires, Tennessee, with a good AD/leadership team, will be in a position to make a great basketball hire. It’ll be a position that UT hasn’t ever been in before. Not to say UT hasn’t made great hires with Mears, Pearl, and Barnes, but the appeal of the job to top resumes will make the available pool deeper than ever before, IMO. That’s because of Rick Barnes.

Great points.

And

“Barnes is unique in that he stabilized the whole AD at a time when there was only instability. There is no TV, White, or Heupel without that stability.”

I’d also add that when Barnes retires, Tennessee, with a good AD/leadership team, will be in a position to make a great basketball hire. It’ll be a position that UT hasn’t ever been in before. Not to say UT hasn’t made great hires with Mears, Pearl, and Barnes, but the appeal of the job to top resumes will make the available pool deeper than ever before, IMO. That’s because of Rick Barnes.
Really hope we go for Kim English when Barnes retires. Think he will be a big time head coach

I’d also add that when Barnes retires, Tennessee, with a good AD/leadership team, will be in a position to make a great basketball hire. It’ll be a position that UT hasn’t ever been in before..
totally agree…Barnes and White have both been home run hires imo.

Still unsure on Plowgal but my opinion is trending upwards. Gotta admit I was pissed about her raise at first and very dismissive of her. I’m big enough to admit that.

So….any Barnes replacement names to start kickin ‘round?

Maybe Barnes has decided to coast into retirement after all, lol.

Seriously, not even remotely concerned about a Basilio blog of gloom and doom about UT hoops recruiting, especially considering TB is well known to be anti-Barnes. If folks want to worry about it it is their prerogative but it is much adieu about nothing, imo.

As long as CRB is here, I believe UT will continue to put a quality product on the court, regardless of how the fall recruiting seasons go. The fall recruiting season doesn’t mean nearly what it used to anyway because of the transfer portal, reclassifications, etc.

Great points.

And

Plus an athletics director with a great basketball mind/background. usually our AD has been a football guy. Danny White truly sees the big picture.

From Basilio's blog this morning on Hoops recruiting:

The Vols have failed to close on anybody for whatever reason. We're getting into a critical period where Tennessee needs to hear some good news soon (which I think they will ... more below). Tennessee has used 21 of 30 official visits for the 2022 class thus far.

Cade Phillips out of Alabama is Tennessee's lone commitment thus far. This isn't how this was supposed to go to this point.

Who Joins Phillips In Tennessee's Class?

Tennessee is in excellent shape with Silas Demary from Charlotte. The hope is that Demary will reclassify once he commits. The 6-4 combo guard a four star player and top 120 player nationally, visited Knoxville last week along with Coen Carr a 6-7 forward from Greenville SC. Justin Gainey is recruiting both of these guys for Tennessee.

Demary is thought to be a guy that could play some quality point guard at this level. The belief internally is that he's going to fall Tennessee's way soon.

As far as Carr, at top 60 players goes, your guess is as good as mine. Tennessee feels like he had a solid visit here but where other potential suitors are with him is a bit of a mystery. He's a take for Tennessee for sure as the 6-7 Carr is an athlete supreme. He can jump out of the gym.

Others To Prospects To Watch With Tennessee:

Freddie Dilione, point guard Raleigh NC. At one time there were whispers he was a reclass candidate but Dilione had a terrific summer. It would be a major upset if this happened anywhere. The smart money now is in Dilione seeing through several visits. Alabama and Louisville are involved.

JP Estrella Center Portland, Maine. A 4 star talent that was Crystal balled to Duke until that one took a swerve. He would easily be the most offensively ready big man Tennessee has signed in the Barnes era. Duke fell by the wayside when the parents dared John Scheyer to take another big man and Duke took them up on the offer. Bad blood. It's all silly when feelings get hurt but somebody is going to get this guy and thank the heavens above. Syracuse and Iowa are involved as well. Estrella has been to Tennessee twice. He visited Iowa over the weekend. Estrella will be visiting Syracuse in the next few weeks. Tennessee isn't getting a ton of buzz about possibly landing Estrella but they feel pretty good about him as you read this on Tennessee's staff.
No Silver Medals In Recruiting:

Whispers internally are that Rod Clark is the king of silver medals thus far. Last year Clark missed out on Cason Wallace (Kentucky) who is a player Clark TRAINED in middle school. I chalked that one up Tennessee not being ready NIL wise. So that was some bad luck for this recruiting ace.
Clark (and by proxy Tennessee) also finished second for top 50 point guard Aden Holloway last night who chose Auburn ...
Clark finished 2nd for Justin Edwards with Kentucky. Tennessee was in there before Kentucky ... Rick Barnes was heavily involved as well. As we documented here Tennessee threw the entire kitchen sink at him.
Both Wallace and Edwards were thought to be Tennessee's at one point before Kentucky swooped in. This is a tough reality ...
Tennessee hasn't gone head to head with a blue blood and won straight up since beating Kentucky and Duke for Kennedy Chandler. It should be pointed out that Chandler was the only point guard on the board at the time for both blue bloods. In case you're wondering, Chandler was recruited to Tennessee by Kim English who did a masterful job in that one.

Meanwhile Justin Gainey has done a solid job on the recruiting trail. Gainey has found a real sweet spot in the Carolina's with guys that are just a tick off from prospects Duke and UNC would heavily recruit. It's worked well for Tennessee thus far ... It's too early to say what Gregg Polinsky brings on the recruiting trail.
By The Numbers:

Tennessee is at a spot where they need to fill at least 5 spots with probably 4 of them filling in the fall. You do the math on the guys out of eligibility plus I'm factoring in at least one or more guys that will enter the portal.

August 29th
The last day to drop or add a class which is the absolute latest a new player could join the roster. This is just around the time Tennessee found Zeigler last year. If the spot goes unused it seems Tennessee could try and add someone from the portal.
You lost me at Basilio.

Man, that Basilio article is all over the place.

Who will join Phillips in 2022? As it then goes on to talk about the 2023 class...

2022 we finished 20th with 4 commits Phillips had offers from UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, and Auburn...but I guess only Duke and Kentucky are blue bloods anymore?

I mean the only Fall commit we had for the 2022 class was BJE. Phillips, DJ, & Tobe all came in May.

In the 2021 class KC committed in August 2020, Mashack in September 2020, everyone else waited until spring of 2021 or summer to commit

2020 class Springer committed just a month before signing in November, Keon waited until August just a few months before signing in November, Walker was the only one early in the boat.

If anything this 2023 class is in line with all others...we typically land a top 100 kid early and then fill out the class around them late in the cycle. It's not football, the majority of our guys sign their LOI after November and arrive in the summer.

Man, that Basilio article is all over the place.

Who will join Phillips in 2022? As it then goes on to talk about the 2023 class...

2022 we finished 20th with 4 commits Phillips had offers from UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, and Auburn...but I guess only Duke and Kentucky are blue bloods anymore?

I mean the only Fall commit we had for the 2022 class was BJE. Phillips, DJ, & Tobe all came in May.

In the 2021 class KC committed in August 2020, Mashack in September 2020, everyone else waited until spring of 2021 or summer to commit

2020 class Springer committed just a month before signing in November, Keon waited until August just a few months before signing in November, Walker was the only one early in the boat.

If anything this 2023 class is in line with all others...we typically land a top 100 kid early and then fill out the class around them late in the cycle. It's not football, the majority of our guys sign their LOI after November and arrive in the summer.
And the last few years the majority of the guys we sign are no longer in the program a year or 2 later. Makes it really hard to predict how the team will shape up each season. I do miss the days of watching a group of guys developing together over 3-4 seasons

And the last few years the majority of the guys we sign are no longer in the program a year or 2 later. Makes it really hard to predict how the team will shape up each season. I do miss the days of watching a group of guys developing together over 3-4 seasons

Big truth there too. I just wait for the on court product, BHH was a bust, DJ Burns was a bust, Walker was a bust...but ZZ was a diamond in the rough, Santi has been a diamond, Olivier looks to at the very least be a solid contributor could be a diamond if he stays healthy and returns to form.

I just like seeing a good on court product and with Barnes he's been able to do it with 5 stars and 3 stars.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Big truth there too. I just wait for the on court product, BHH was a bust, DJ Burns was a bust, Walker was a bust...but ZZ was a diamond in the rough, Santi has been a diamond, Olivier looks to at the very least be a solid contributor could be a diamond if he stays healthy and returns to form.

I just like seeing a good on court product and with Barnes he's been able to do it with 5 stars and 3 stars.
That’s kind of my thought too, people keep pointing out recruiting struggles and that these new assistants need to be shown the door etc, and while I would like to land some more top targets in the fall and not miss against rivals it’s hard to ignore that no matter how these classes have gone Barnes and assistants have continued to put out winning team after winning team…and obviously that’s the ultimate goal, so they’re doing something right with roster assembly, can’t ignore that.

VN Store

Back