Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

That’s what I figured. I’d be fine with leaving it open. I’d rather do that than just fill the spot to fill it. I think the roster is pretty sound now except for another PG. That’s the only thing on my wishlist but all of the “help now” options seem to be snatched up. Will be interesting to see how ZZ handles the duties.

If UK is going into the season with Wheeler as their PG, then I'm fully confident in ZZ as the starting guard. Been thinking about this for a few weeks.

Wheeler didn’t impress me in the few Ky games I watched this season but, he did lead the SEC in assists per game so maybe someone who watched most of Ky’s games would have a different take?

Wheeler didn’t impress me in the few Ky games I watched this season but, he did lead the SEC in assists per game so maybe someone who watched most of Ky’s games would have a different take?
Wheeler is a fine PG as long as you don’t need him to contribute as a shooter/scorer. He's a good facilitator, ball-handler, decent defender, but is turnover prone.

If UK is going into the season with Wheeler as their PG, then I'm fully confident in ZZ as the starting guard. Been thinking about this for a few weeks.
Yeah, I agree and it's crazy to me that Kentucky is also only going into the season with 10 scholarship players as of right now. Will be interesting to see what they do if they get into foul trouble in some games. To be fair all 10 of their players seem to be at least solid players. Not sure about Adou Thiero though and Lance Ware is just a role player and is what he is at this point I think.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
At this point doesn’t seem to be any names, but at this time last year Zeigler was unknown, so never say never.

Coach has proved he thinks outside of the box. Maybe this year he will convert an intramural PG to All SEC status. I will sit back and watch. If he thinks there is an issue he will address it.

‘24 Rekease Passmore.

Received an offer from Tennessee last week. Seems to be getting a lot of attention from high majors this summer. Also does this.

Have heard around Asheville that Barnes has been talking to Passmore a lot. Played at Reynolds but is transferring to Combine Academy.

Supposedly an absolute freak athlete that would be a good fit for our system. Will be battle as it sounds like lots of ACC schools are now on him.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
Have heard around Asheville that Barnes has been talking to Passmore a lot. Played at Reynolds but is transferring to Combine Academy.

Supposedly an absolute freak athlete that would be a good fit for our system. Will be battle as it sounds like lots of ACC schools are now on him.
Yes, we are in line for Passmore, but standing with UVA and UNC already. If he continues to get stronger, he’s going to be a great player.

Could be the team feels real good about ZZ, Key, BJE, Santi, and Mashack all working into the 1 spot.

More than 50% of the minutes for PG will be played by ZZ. So it's not like we need another full-time starter there.

Could be the team feels real good about ZZ, Key, BJE, Santi, and Mashack all working into the 1 spot.

More than 50% of the minutes for PG will be played by ZZ. So it's not like we need another full-time starter there.
No, but we were seemingly recruiting kids to be the starter, allowing ZZ to maintain his role. So at one point, at least, it seemed like the team was concerned about a lack of true PGs.

No, but we were seemingly recruiting kids to be the starter, allowing ZZ to maintain his role. So at one point, at least, it seemed like the team was concerned about a lack of true PGs.

I don't know if I'd say "concerned" I mean very few people would argue with taking Yuri or Hunter to help offset the loss of KC. It's not like we were tied to every PG in the portal, just a few of arguably the best ones.

I could see us playing a bit closer to the style we played when Keon/Springer were here. Less of a true PG and more of a 2-3 good ball handlers always on the court. I do think ZZ could emerge if he takes another step in his game, but we shall see.

I don't know if I'd say "concerned" I mean very few people would argue with taking Yuri or Hunter to help offset the loss of KC. It's not like we were tied to every PG in the portal, just a few of arguably the best ones.

I could see us playing a bit closer to the style we played when Keon/Springer were here. Less of a true PG and more of a 2-3 good ball handlers always on the court. I do think ZZ could emerge if he takes another step in his game, but we shall see.
I didn't particularly care for the chemistry of that team, and it felt like it was due to a lack of natural PGs. Now, in fairness, that team had what felt like zero PG prospects who wanted to be PGs. This team at least has ZZ, whose position is unquestionable.

I didn't particularly care for the chemistry of that team, and it felt like it was due to a lack of natural PGs. Now, in fairness, that team had what felt like zero PG prospects who wanted to be PGs. This team at least has ZZ, whose position is unquestionable.

I think COVID killed that team's chemistry. I like the ability of this year's squad to handle that style of ball better. ZZ, Santi, JJJ all returning and then additions in Key, BJE, Phillips that's 6 potential good ball handlers.

Mashack & DJ could be big surprises as well both seem to have the athletic ability if they put in the work to get better at handling the ball.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think COVID killed that team's chemistry. I like the ability of this year's squad to handle that style of ball better. ZZ, Santi, JJJ all returning and then additions in Key, BJE, Phillips that's 6 potential good ball handlers.

Mashack & DJ could be big surprises as well both seem to have the athletic ability if they put in the work to get better at handling the ball.
From what I saw, Machack had a country Mike to go in terms of ball-handling. He just looked very unnatural trying to drive. May have been nerves and limited opportunity, but he's a work in progress in that department. Gave me some early-career Yves Pons vibes with the ball on the perimeter.

From what I saw, Machack had a country Mike to go in terms of ball-handling. He just looked very unnatural trying to drive. May have been nerves and limited opportunity, but he's a work in progress in that department. Gave me some early-career Yves Pons vibes with the ball on the perimeter.

Yeah definitely agree, those guys are always weird though. Cause it could be a confidence thing, where once they get it then it's like night and day in how they dribble.

I think last season set a bit of a new standard, in a good way for Barnes. KC and ZZ both playing as much as they did is why BJE came to camp ready to go, and why Phillips (based on reports) is handling things the way he is. These young guys saw exactly what gets you playing time for Rick Barnes and the blueprint is there.

I'm pretty excited, I think BJE has real potential to be someone that emerges as this season's ZZ in terms of production. Love his size and if he put in as much effort as he did without being on campus to be in the shape he showed up in then I can only imagine where he'll be by the time the season starts.

Several guys appear to be very optimistic on BJE. Not often a freshman ranked outside the top 60 plays a ton but it happens (ZZZ for example). Hope you guys know what you’re talking about!

It will be interesting to see when the basketball staff gives out offers for 2025 and 2026.

The football staff is already offering 2026 prospects.

VN Store

Back