Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Question for the more basketball centric folks. Where are we net being able to put teams on the floor comparing the four portal losses to the four incoming HS and portal additions? Not counting the KC loss, that is what it is. I am counting the open schollie as the KC gap.

Question for the more basketball centric folks. Where are we net being able to put teams on the floor comparing the four portal losses to the four incoming HS and portal additions? Not counting the KC loss, that is what it is. I am counting the open schollie as the KC gap.
I think the guys coming in are more ready to contribute than the guys that left sans BHH. To me even without a sure fire back up PG this team should be constantly a top 10-15 school. I really like the make up of the role players better than last season.

There are 5 that have transferred. QD, BHH, JP, Handje, and VBj. Plus Fulk graduated and KC is one and done.

Additions:

BJ Edwards 6’3” 192
Julian Phillips 6’8” 190 (McDonald’s AA)
Tyreke Key 6’2” 207 grad transfer (injury in 2021-22)
DJ Jefferson 6’5” 195
Tobe Awaka 6’8” 240 (late enrollee)

Removing Fulk (14th spot) and KC from the comparison and it’s close to a wash. Lost some length, might have upgraded the guard talent but lost a bit of experience/maturity on the perimeter. A healthy Key would probably make it an upgrade.

If BHH had been more dedicated to developing his inside game, the trade for Phillips would have been less favorable. Other than losing the year of work I like the trade. BHH was a power forward that wanted to be a small forward. Phillips is a small forward.

With Awaka we seem to be swapping one project (Handje) for a shorter, heavier one.

Overall I’d consider the incoming 5 as a group an upgrade over the departing 5 - although we’re trading about 6 years of work in the system for zero. But SV, JJJ, ZZ, and ON will be taking a lot of minutes along with Mashack, Aidoo, and Uros. It’s not a bad year to add youth without necessarily having huge minutes available to distribute to 5 new players.

KC isn’t replaceable, although the 7 returnees have an additional year under their belts. Aidoo helps to fill in the loss of Fulkerson.

Last edited:
I've thought about changing my username. Leanna is the name of the community I lived in when I started my account. I am and always have been a dude.
I always cut you some slack because I thought you were a girl. Might not of been the best choice to come out of the closet!

There are 5 that have transferred. QD, BHH, JP, Handje, and VBj. Plus Fulk graduated and KC is one and done.

Additions:

BJ Edwards 6’3” 192
Julian Phillips 6’8” 190 (McDonald’s AA)
Tyreke Key 6’2” 207 grad transfer (injury in 2021-22)
DJ Jefferson 6’5” 195
Tobe Awaka 6’8” 240 (late enrollee)

Removing Fulk (14th spot) and KC from the comparison and it’s close to a wash. Lost some length, might have upgraded the guard talent but lost a bit of experience/maturity on the perimeter. A healthy Key would probably make it an upgrade.

If BHH had been more dedicated to developing his inside game, the trade for Phillips would have been less favorable. Other than losing the year of work I like the trade. BHH was a power forward that wanted to be a small forward. Phillips is a small forward.

With Awaka we seem to be swapping one project (Handje) for a shorter, heavier one.

Overall I’d consider the incoming 5 as a group an upgrade over the departing 5 - although we’re trading about 6 years of work in the system for zero. But SV, JJJ, ZZ, and ON will be taking a lot of minutes along with Mashack, Aidoo, and Uros. It’s not a bad year to add youth without necessarily having huge minutes available to distribute to 5 new players.

KC isn’t replaceable, although the 7 returnees have an additional year under their belts. Aidoo helps to fill in the loss of Fulkerson.
I believe Edwards will be better than many on here have posted. He is stronger, taller and as good of a 3point shooter as KC. He will need to get some experience and adjust to the speed of the college game, but he will be a good player and likely be here for more than 1 year.

I believe Edwards will be better than many on here have posted. He is stronger, taller and as good of a 3point shooter as KC. He will need to get some experience and adjust to the speed of the college game, but he will be a good player and likely be here for more than 1 year.
So you don’t think he’ll hit the portal?

I feel pretty good about Key + Edwards + DJJ being better than Q Diboundje + V Bailey + J Powell. But Kennedy is the best talent that TN has ever had at PG. Of course as a group of guards JJJ, SV, and ZZ are all plus one in experience versus a year ago - so as a group, even minus KC, it is a very similar roster strength compared to 2021-22.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
I feel pretty good about Key + Edwards + DJJ being better than Q Diboundje + V Bailey + J Powell. But Kennedy is the best talent that TN has ever had at PG. Of course as a group of guards JJJ, SV, and ZZ are all plus one in experience versus a year ago - so as a group, even minus JC, it is a very similar roster strength compared to 2021-22.
If Phillips is able to handle the ball and get to the rim the way he could in high school/AAU, I agree that we will have a pretty easy transition into this season. The fast paced, small ball lineup with ZZ/SV/JP/JJJ/ON will still be potent af, assuming Phillips is able to play a point forward type role and attack off the bounce in transition. Honestly, the added length in that lineup could make it even better than next, assuming Barnes gets them more run early in the season to gel.

If Phillips is able to handle the ball and get to the rim the way he could in high school/AAU, I agree that we will have a pretty easy transition into this season. The fast paced, small ball lineup with ZZ/SV/JP/JJJ/ON will still be potent af, assuming Phillips is able to play a point forward type role and attack off the bounce in transition. Honestly, the added length in that lineup could make it even better than next, assuming Barnes gets them more run early in the season to gel.

Yes. Phillips is a wild card. He could be slotted in several combinations. If JJJ can effectively post up inside that will be an exciting grouping. Plus if Aidoo can be rotated with ON at the 5 - dang.

Reactions: berryvol
Yes. Phillips is a wild card. He could be slotted in several combinations. If JJJ can effectively post up inside that will be an exciting grouping. Plus if Aidoo can be rotated with ON at the 5 - dang.
Yup, pretty exciting stuff. I think Phillips can make this team better than last year’s. KC was sooo skilled and this isn’t meant to detract from him, but you did see his size limit his finishing and passing ability against longer opponents, especially when we were struggling to shoot. Phillips should be able to finish over anybody we face next season.

Yup, pretty exciting stuff. I think Phillips can make this team better than last year’s. KC was sooo skilled and this isn’t meant to detract from him, but you did see his size limit his finishing and passing ability against longer opponents, especially when we were struggling to shoot. Phillips should be able to finish over anybody we face next season.

Kennedy needed 2x consistent 3-point shooters on the wings and a fierce slasher to catch and finish in the paint for TN to optimize his skills. Powell never was able to draw defenses out to the 3PL and Santi couldn’t handle it alone. JJJ started being a great option to dish to, but was streaky on the perimeter and really hasn’t been the finisher at the rim that he needed to be. Kennedy, like Johnson and Springer, just weren’t around long enough to take full advantage of. Too bad at least one of those 3 wasn't a 2 and done.

Reactions: berryvol

I wonder if we’ll run much twin towers lineups with ON at the 4? He and Aidoo both have the shooting ability to make that interesting and it would be imposing defensively against teams that lack spacing.

I wonder if we’ll run much twin towers lineups with ON at the 4? He and Aidoo both have the shooting ability to make that interesting and it would be imposing defensively against teams that lack spacing.
Yeah, that lineup with JJJ and JP on the court would be STUPID long and athletic and sneaky could defend really well (if you can mask having ON and Aidoo both on that end). Could run 4 out with ON in the corner and let ZZ go to work. So many options for Barnes to play with on offense this season.

I've thought about changing my username. Leanna is the name of the community I lived in when I started my account. I am and always have been a dude.

Glad I lived in Guntersville when I needed a new handle.....Started out as AMaVOL but way back in the Gridscape days there was a migration to a new platform and it required more than 6 letters in your screen name.... So..... Kept it when I moved back to the Ktown/Blount County area in 06'

2024 SG Cam Scott

Cam Scott - Lexington - SG

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard was in his bag today—multiple dunks, defending in the passing lanes, rebounding for his position, and knocking down shots. Scott’s game has a smooth nature, something that has been called casual in the past. Things seem to be turning the corner with a possible trend toward five-star status.

South Carolina had all four coaches watching Scott. Oregon, Tennessee, Florida State, Clemson, and Georgiawere baseline as well

I’ve kind of been checked out on basketball recruiting for a few weeks due to work and watching the BaseVols run early in June. Is it safe to say at this point it’s looking like we’re going to hold that last scholarship open? Has there been any news about a potential final target?

I’ve kind of been checked out on basketball recruiting for a few weeks due to work and watching the BaseVols run early in June. Is it safe to say at this point it’s looking like we’re going to hold that last scholarship open? Has there been any news about a potential final target?
At this point doesn’t seem to be any names, but at this time last year Zeigler was unknown, so never say never.

At this point doesn’t seem to be any names, but at this time last year Zeigler was unknown, so never say never.

That’s what I figured. I’d be fine with leaving it open. I’d rather do that than just fill the spot to fill it. I think the roster is pretty sound now except for another PG. That’s the only thing on my wishlist but all of the “help now” options seem to be snatched up. Will be interesting to see how ZZ handles the duties.

Reactions: Willy14

VN Store

Back