Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

They have to do a lot against one of the strongest OOC schedules in the country to overcome the fact that they play in a weak conference, though, to attain that 1 seed. It isn't like they supplement a weak conference schedule by steamrolling Sisters Of The Poor in November and December. They play anyone who calls, and they wouldn't get a 1 seed by going 8-5 OOC, and finishing 24-7 by running roughshod over the WCC.

They play a lot of neutral site OOC games. I don’t consider my argument as bashing as someone else suggests. It’s just logical that if they played home and homes in a P5 conference, their record wouldn’t be nearly as good.

They play a lot of neutral site OOC games. I don’t consider my argument as bashing as someone else suggests. It’s just logical that if they played home and homes in a P5 conference, their record wouldn’t be nearly as good.
Sure, that only makes sense and I don't disagree. They can only play who is available in their conference. They supplement that lack of competition by regularly scheduling tough games outside the WCC. And, yes, a lot of those are neutral site games.

They have had mostly veteran rosters and aren’t going to rely as much on development during the season. Typically they will only have one really good freshman making big contributions.
All teams better be playing better in March than they do in the Maui Shootout Classic or whatever. Playing bad teams makes you dull. Meanwhile the Power 5 conference teams are battle hardened when the tourney rolls around.

Reactions: walkenvol
All teams better be playing better in March than they do in the Maui Shootout Classic or whatever. Playing bad teams makes you dull. Meanwhile the Power 5 conference teams are battle hardened when the tourney rolls around.

TN was so battle hardened a couple years ago that Fulkerson had a concussion and JJJ could barely walk.

There. Is. No. Recruiting. News.

Got to love the self anointed board monitors.
Every few days some pair of people gets into a tizzy about some completely irrelevant thing, then other people gripe about how obnoxious it is, and still no one wants to post in any other thread because somehow this is the best one. The mods mostly don’t care because they know the pattern. This isn’t a forum, it’s a giant text chain.

We have to just accept it for what it is, I guess. No reason to strive for anything better.

Every few days some pair of people gets into a tizzy about some completely irrelevant thing, then other people gripe about how obnoxious it is, and still no one wants to post in any other thread because somehow this is the best one. The mods mostly don’t care because they know the pattern. This isn’t a forum, it’s a giant text chain.

We have to just accept it for what it is, I guess. No reason to strive for anything better.

How did your run for board monitor go?

BTW, good job bumping the completely irrelevant thing after it had gone dormant for several hours. Hypocrite much?

How did your run for board monitor go?

BTW, good job bumping the completely irrelevant thing after it had gone dormant for several hours. Hypocrite much?
I told you before. I’ve embraced the chaos.

And you’ve been having that argument for like 3 days. My apologies for not checking in hourly to tune into your latest takes on Gonzaga lol

I told you before. I’ve embraced the chaos.

And you’ve been having that argument for like 3 days. My apologies for not checking in hourly to tune into your latest takes on Gonzaga lol

Isn’t Friday at 9:33 like less than 2 days before your post?

Feel free to take your reply to the appropriate thread in Around the NCAA. We’re talking about the swing and miss by TN in the recruitment of Malachi Smith in here and his comment that he chose Gonzaga because of their “family feel and winning culture.” Please comply with the rules as established by UneducatedGuess.

Isn’t Friday at 9:33 like less than 2 days before your post?

Feel free to take your reply to the appropriate thread in Around the NCAA. We’re talking about the swing and miss by TN in the recruitment of Malachi Smith in here and his comment that he chose Gonzaga because of their “family feel and winning culture.” Please comply with the rules as established by UneducatedGuess.

Sorry but was it ever established there was a swing? People on here wanted him but I never read anything about UT pursuing him

Reactions: berryvol and vol94
Current Roster:
Guards
1. Santiago Vescovi Sr 6-3 195 (Lead the league in 3 point shooting. FG percentage .413, 3 point percentage .403 and FT percentage .793. Averaged 13.3 points per game. I don't really need to pump Santi up. We all know he's lighting up the perimeter this coming season. )
2. Tyreke Key Gr-Sr 6-3 205 (Senior year stats: FG percentage 47.2, 3 point shooting 31.6 and FT percentage 83.8. Averaged 17.2 points per game. Also, his 3 point average before his shoulder injury was 39.1 percent. So there's definitely optimism if his shoulder is 100 percent like he claims. Good rebounder as well, averaged 5.3 a game. I honestly feel that this guy is going to ball for us. JMO obviously.)
3. Zakai Zeigler So 5-9 170 (So to all of these fans asking who is Chandlers replacement? He's right here and don't get it twisted. This shouldn't even be a debate right now and here's why. In SEC play he averaged 10.1 points per game, ranked 11th among all Division I players in steal percentage, averaged 22 minutes a game, FG percentage 38.1, 3 point shooting 35.2 and FT percentage 84.3. One more thing to add to his young but already very impressive resume is that ZZ became just the fourth Vol ever selected to the SEC All-Defensive Team and the first to do it as a freshman. )
4. Josiah-Jordan James Sr 6-6 215 ( Averaged 10.3 points a game last season. FG percentage .388, 3 point shooting 32.4, FT percentage .800, 34 blocks and 46 steals. We honestly couldn't ask for a more efficient basketball player or leader for this team to come back for his senior year like this guy. Big year ahead for him.)
5. Jahmai Mashack So 6-4 197 (Me personally, I'm not giving up on this kid. Top 65 player nationally out of high school. His physicality and athleticism was special out of high school so I refuse to believe that won't translate to his collegiate career. He also played a very large part in his high school team winning a championship. Could definitely be a role player by middle of the season. His defensive skills alone will probably get him there.)
6. BJ Edwards Fr 6-3 195 (High school average from all 4 years.He played in 116 games, scored 2,240 total points and averaged 19.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 52 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3-point range (161 of 494). Was also a top 90 player nationally out of high school per 247. I don't think he will be your typical freshman. I do think he will contribute this coming season but to what level remains to be seen. With Vescovi, Key and JJJ all for sure leaving I feel Barnes will throw alot at this kid and see what sticks. Barnes will want him ready to go his Sophomore year that's for sure.)

Sorry for the long post I was bored and thought I'd write something up for everyone to read and give some of their own thoughts. I'm obviously pretty optimistic about this year's roster lol. Besides Chandler we replaced all of our empty spots with better talent. And I think guard play won't be so dependent on one guy this year. I think it will be a more efficient position overall and play well. Especially if we stay healthy. Got one with our Forwards as well will be posting shortly. Go Vawls!

Current Roster
Forwards
1. Jonas Aidoo So 6-11 234 ( For me I feel like when people think of Aidoo they automatically think of his clutch game against Oscar Tshiebwe. He definitely showed some promise his freshman season. I think he'll be more efficient overall entering his sophomore year and emerge as a huge contributer for this coming season.)
2. Uros Plavsic Sr 7-0 251 ( Averaged 14.1 minutes per game. I bet most Vol fans didn't know that Plavsic lead the team in FG percentage, shooting a career high .573. I think me and majority of fans can agree that he won't light up the scoreboard offensively BUT I whole heartedly believe that he will be a bully on the defensive side of the ball. He became pretty mean towards the end of the season for Barnes. One thing we do know about Uros is that he will give his all for the Orange and White which should excite Vol fans.)
3. Olivier Nkamhoua Sr 6-8 232 ( Averaged 21.6 minutes per game, 8.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, FG percentage .497, 3 point shooting .448 and FT percentage .722. Just when we started seeing consistency and improvement as the season went along he went down with an injury that plagued his season. I think Olivier will have alot to say about that his senior year. Look for the Barnes project to continue rising his stock and bring some valuable experience to the post.)
4. Julian Phillips Fr 6-8 200 ( 3rd Highest rated player for Tennessee since 2010. Most believe Phillips has one and done potential. So I would say it's safe to assume that most of us Vol fans feel really good about this prospect. He should definitely solidify our post play for this coming season.)
5. DJ Jefferson Fr 6-5 200 ( Senior year HS stats: Averaged 16.1 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assist and 3 steals. Also, his junior year was excellent especially offensively. Averaged 22 points a game that season. Was a top 76 player nationally out of high school per 247. This is definitely a prospect that has the ability to develop and contribute in some sort of fashion for the Vols this coming season.)
6. Tobe Awaka Fr 6-8 234 ( Last but not least Mr. Awaka. Now I imagine most Vol fans don't see this kid doing much under his first year under Barnes and neither do I. Based off recent reports he will be arriving on campus this fall. So it's very likely that this could be a RS year for him but you never know. Awaka was a rebound machine and was Gatorade Player of the Year in New York his senior season. Averaged 19.2 points and 15 rebounds at ZZs former high school Cardinal Hayes. Very similar to ZZs final season stats just clearly not as many rebounds as Awaka. Is this possibly another ZZ situation? I don't think anyone expected ZZ to arrive on scene and contribute in the manner he was able to so. So why can't Awaka do the same? Only time will tell.)

Current Roster
Forwards

2. Uros Plavsic Sr 7-0 251 ( Averaged 14.1 minutes per game. I bet most Vol fans didn't know that Plavsic lead the team in FG percentage, shooting a career high .573. I think me and majority of fans can agree that he won't light up the scoreboard offensively BUT I whole heartedly believe that he will be a bully on the defensive side of the ball. He became pretty mean towards the end of the season for Barnes. One thing we do know about Uros is that he will give his all for the Orange and White which should excite Vol fans.)
Plavsic averaged 4.2 last year. He can double that if he'll do 1 thing - dunk the ball when he's close enough to do so. Don't lay it up and don't pass it back out. It doesn't need to be fancy but flush the ball

Plavsic averaged 4.2 last year. He can double that if he'll do 1 thing - dunk the ball when he's close enough to do so. Don't lay it up and don't pass it back out. It doesn't need to be fancy but flush the ball
He was extremely hesitant his junior year lol. I'm hoping that changes in a big way his senior year. I wanna see him bully dudes 😤

Reactions: larjoranj
I'll be surprised if Ramey is anywhere but Duke after everything I'm seeing about it. Keels sticking to the NBA gives him a clearer path for big minutes there.

So chances are, no Ramey for UT. Sucks for us because I really think we need that second PG presence. Now we have to hope BJE comes in able to contribute.

So what does CRB do with the last scholly? Hold it for next year, or maybe look for a one year rental?

Imo. Hold it at this point
With the transfer portal being as wild as it is I think just holding a spot is as wise as it once would’ve been. Seems like there will always be ways to find another spot if you need it, no use just letting a spot sit empty when you may strike gold or at least get another good practice player

With the transfer portal being as wild as it is I think just holding a spot is as wise as it once would’ve been. Seems like there will always be ways to find another spot if you need it, no use just letting a spot sit empty when you may strike gold or at least get another good practice player
I get that, but if it's a player that is filling a spot just to fill a spot then it's a waste.

Reactions: UneducatedGuess

VN Store

Back