Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

If he wants to get pushed to his max for NBA this would be the spot. Plenty of minutes, Barnes hounding him 24/7 to improve, and just as much exposure. Clearly not the PG KC is, but a guy who can shoot the 3 and defend is always welcome. Just looking at the stats, it doesn't seem as if he's getting to the rim though. That's killed us for years now.

You would think, how Texas treated Barnes when he came back to Austin might help. But then again, our offense did look like Beard's that game and they may scare him off. If we are even in it

Outside of Hunter, I've wanted Ramey more than anyone. He's great on defense and his shooting numbers were awesome and improving each year before Beard. He's a type of player that can push this roster to top 10/FF contenders.

At this point, i would also entertain taking a shot at Emoni Bates. I thought we were rumored as a candidate when he first announced his transfer.

Bates isn’t a point guard, there hasn’t ever been a credible mention of interest from either us or him, and he put out a list of schools a few weeks ago and we weren’t on it.

Outside of Hunter, I've wanted Ramey more than anyone. He's great on defense and his shooting numbers were awesome and improving each year before Beard. He's a type of player that can push this roster to top 10/FF contenders.
Saw that West Virginia is interested in Ramey and they already picked up one of his teammates from last season Tre Mitchell.

Call me crazy...but I think we're working on keeping Powell since we've missed on our top 2-3 PG targets that were out there.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm just not sure who else in the portal would really be an upgrade to him. Maybe he's not interested in running the point though and that's part of why he's in the portal to begin with.

Call me crazy...but I think we're working on keeping Powell since we've missed on our top 2-3 PG targets that were out there.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm just not sure who else in the portal would really be an upgrade to him. Maybe he's not interested in running the point though and that's part of why he's in the portal to begin with.
Him not wanting to run point played a part in him transferring to Tennessee from Auburn.

If Powell was just taking a spot in 2022-23 then it makes sense for TN. But he’d tie up a spot for 3 years. Of course they could always run him off. Maybe the best option is for him to stick around and try to graduate so that he could transfer with immediate eligibility.

If Powell was just taking a spot in 2022-23 then it makes sense for TN. But he’d tie up a spot for 3 years. Of course they could always run him off. Maybe the best option is for him to stick around and try to graduate so that he could transfer with immediate eligibility.

He's not used a RS and has played 2 years. I think if we can bring him back it'd be a better option than an unused scholarship OR just taking a transfer to take one. As you've pointed out, he could finish his degree early and grad transfer and still have 2 years left at the new school without having to sit. But I would be really surprised if he was able to bounce to a 3rd school in 3 years and not have to burn a year sitting to do it.

I doubt it. The lack of news about potential suitors with Powell is mostly due to the fact he has already burned his free transfer. Nobody thinks he’s good enough to warrant idling a scholarship for a year to land him.

Weird that he didn’t want to play point but evidently also didn’t want to actually move with any urgency off ball

Powell was playing PG early in his freshman year at Auburn out of necessity on Auburn‘s part only. Had Sharife Cooper been eligible from the get-go that year, Powell would not have played any point guard. I don’t think CBP envisioned Powell anything other than a stopgap measure at PG until Cooper got eligible. I have no inside information but I don’t think he transferred from Auburn because he didn’t want to play PG- I think there were other issues that contributed to his transfer.

Powell was playing PG early in his freshman year at Auburn out of necessity on Auburn‘s part only. Had Sharife Cooper been eligible from the get-go that year, Powell would not have played any point guard. I don’t think CBP envisioned Powell anything other than a stopgap measure at PG until Cooper got eligible. I have no inside information but I don’t think he transferred from Auburn because he didn’t want to play PG- I think there were other issues that contributed to his transfer.
It's been rumored that his role with the team while at Auburn was a contributing factor in his decision to leave. Take from that what you will.

And they still will not win it

And they have played in two national championship games the last 5 years. You just like finding some dark cloud in a silver lining to justify that we’ve never won a natty? Dude - what that small school has done in the past 20 years is amazing and cool. Regardless if you like them or not. Your little dig is petty and cheap and pretty pathetic given their history versus ours. I mean….show respect where it’s due.

Last edited:
And they have played in two national championship games on the last 5 years. You just like finding some dark cloud in a silver lining to justify that we’ve never won a natty? Dude - what that small school has done in the past 20 years is amazing and cool. Regardless if you like them or not. Your little dog is petty and cheap and pretty pathetic given their history versus ours. I mean….show respect where it’s due.
I always wonder what could have become of Butler had Brad Stevens hung around as long as Mark Few has in Spokane. Some schools just luck into some special coaches and overcome all odds to attain some monumental success.

Florida, with Billy Donovan, is kind of a similar example. Though UF has endless resources in comparison to Gonzaga and Butler, none of them were poured into the basketball program until he essentially made them take notice.

It's tough to throw shade at a program like Gonzaga who has maintained a high level of success for as long as they have on a national scale. Winning the NCAAT is incredibly hard. Judging program success by that measure alone just isn't fair.

And they have played in two national championship games on the last 5 years. You just like finding some dark cloud in a silver lining to justify that we’ve never won a natty? Dude - what that small school has done in the past 20 years is amazing and cool. Regardless if you like them or not. Your little dog is petty and cheap and pretty pathetic given their history versus ours. I mean….show respect where it’s due.
He’s just talking a little trash… don’t have to get so triggered

1654260070476.gif

I always wonder what could have become of Butler had Brad Stevens hung around as long as Mark Few has in Spokane. Some schools just luck into some special coaches and overcome all odds to attain some monumental success.

Florida, with Billy Donovan, is kind of a similar example. Though UF has endless resources in comparison to Gonzaga and Butler, none of them were poured into the basketball program until he essentially made them take notice.

It's tough to throw shade at a program like Gonzaga who has maintained a high level of success for as long as they have on a national scale. Winning the NCAAT is incredibly hard. Judging program success by that measure alone just isn't fair.
As much as I like to joke on Gonzaga. Maintaining the success they’ve had as a “mid major” is incredible and there’s some blue blood schools that would love the run they’ve had the last 10-15 years.

VN Store

Back