Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Assuming Texas keeps what I expect, I think Hunter's numbers are actually going to dip. Not sure he'll be seeing more minutes than Carr or Morris, but he'll have some NIL money I guess which is apparently all he was really looking to get.

Assuming Texas keeps what I expect, I think Hunter's numbers are actually going to dip. Not sure he'll be seeing more minutes than Carr or Morris, but he'll have some NIL money I guess which is apparently all he was really looking to get.

Why would he not see more minutes than Morris?

Looking at the roster, it was definitely a money move. That backcourt is crowded, and he'll be lucky to get more than 12 shots a game with that roster and Beard's pacing. You'd think he would have learned from Marcus Carr's mistake, but he'll learn soon enough whenever his draft stock hasn't improved.

Try not to sound like an Auburn fan please.

If you actually look at the roster, it really is a weird choice. Nothing "Auburn fan" about saying that. Truthfully, I agree with some that he'll come to regret the choice. Not because sour grapes, but because of the roster Texas has and the system they run. It's hard to understand his choice if his desire was to truly improve for the NBA. It's entirely possible he just loves Texas or their coach, but it's also possible he just loved the NIL deal they offered. Who knows? But putting aside my obvious Tennessee bias and just looking at this from a basketball perspective, this is a headscratcher.

I still think we need another PG if we hope to live up to potential next year. Guess we'll see where Barnes pivots to next.

If you actually look at the roster, it really is a weird choice. Nothing "Auburn fan" about saying that. Truthfully, I agree with some that he'll come to regret the choice. Not because sour grapes, but because of the roster Texas has and the system they run. It's hard to understand his choice if his desire was to truly improve for the NBA. It's entirely possible he just loves Texas or their coach, but it's also possible he just loved the NIL deal they offered. Who knows? But putting aside my obvious Tennessee bias and just looking at this from a basketball perspective, this is a headscratcher.

He has a better and more established relationship with the Texas coaching staff, and he was given a monumental NIL deal. It's not a surprise he chose Texas. NIL was obviously a strong factor, but I'm sure the relationship factored in as well. Still, as you said, it's a weird roster fit.

Reactions: Stoked and MoCo_Vol
Time to move on. *sigh*

Geez…bad enough that Texas has ripped off every trademarked logo Tennessee has ever produced, but now they’re ripping off our commitment graphics. 🙄

And yes, I know that Texas didn’t create the graphic. It’s more of a joke of how much of a copycat artist Texas has been over the years.

Interesting timing on this? Wonder if he wasn't going to come back if Hunter joined?

Doubt it, we may very well still get a transfer PG, and Santi surely sees he’s best with a stud PG next to him anyway. Maybe they timed the announcement to counterbalance the bad news with Hunter, maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I doubt Santi’s decision was predicated on Hunter’s

Why would he not see more minutes than Morris?

You don't typically see the #1 PG and a projected lottery pick sitting on the bench in the only year they plan to be in college. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm just sour grapes, but just seems like a weird choice Texas over Tennessee. They return a starting PG (Carr) who was playing 30+ and have 2 top 100 PGs (including the #1 PG) in their incoming class. I mean Ramey and Askew are both gone, Andrew Jones as well...and I'm not sure if Timmy Allen has any more eligibility or not. So maybe there will be enough minutes to keep everyone happy, we'll see I guess.

So Texas now has 5 PGs: Hunter, Morris, Rowan, Rice, & Carr

Hunter at 6'0" will be the smallest option of the 5 as well.

If the goal was to have to compete to get minutes then he's for sure going to have to do that. And Rice was no slouch at New Mexico State so you know he's also going to be a guy pushing to get minutes.

You don't typically see the #1 PG and a projected lottery pick sitting on the bench in the only year they plan to be in college. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm just sour grapes, but just seems like a weird choice Texas over Tennessee. They return a starting PG (Carr) who was playing 30+ and have 2 top 100 PGs (including the #1 PG) in their incoming class. I mean Ramey and Askew are both gone, Andrew Jones as well...and I'm not sure if Timmy Allen has any more eligibility or not. So maybe there will be enough minutes to keep everyone happy, we'll see I guess.
Hunter is the main PG, Carr is better off ball than PG so he’s their 2, Arterio Morris is a CG so he will play both 1/2…that’s 3 players to split 80 minutes, that’s plenty to go around.

So Texas now has 5 PGs: Hunter, Morris, Rowan, Rice, & Carr

Hunter at 6'0" will be the smallest option of the 5 as well.

If the goal was to have to compete to get minutes then he's for sure going to have to do that. And Rice was no slouch at New Mexico State so you know he's also going to be a guy pushing to get minutes.
Rice is a 2, Rowan is a fringe Top 100 guy so that’s like throwing BJ Edwards into the equation, he’s probably not a guy who is gonna warrant huge minutes.

Hunter is the main PG, Carr is better off ball than PG so he’s their 2, Arterio Morris is a CG so he will play both 1/2…that’s 3 players to split 80 minutes, that’s plenty to go around.

Maybe...

200 minutes to split among 5

Returning:
Carr - 30.9 mpg
Allen - 29.0 mpg
Bishop - 20.0 mpg
Febres - 13.8 mpg
Cunningham - 11.7 mpg
Disu - 10.9 mpg

Bringing in two top 20 recruits in Mitchell and Morris both of which I'm sure have been made promises to same as Hunter was...

Just seems like if the plan was to get playing time and develop for the NBA he picked one of the worst rosters to do that with.

Santi, JJJ, ZZ, ON, and Uros are the only returning guys that played more than 8 mpg for us...

Rice is a 2, Rowan is a fringe Top 100 guy so that’s like throwing BJ Edwards into the equation, he’s probably not a guy who is gonna warrant huge minutes.

and both BJE and DJ Jefferson are lower rated by 20+ spots than Rowan even.

Freshman POY’s don’t typically transfer either. You’re really undervaluing how good Hunter is. Morris won’t start over Hunter. 0 chance.

Maybe...

200 minutes to split among 5

Returning:
Carr - 30.9 mpg
Allen - 29.0 mpg
Bishop - 20.0 mpg
Febres - 13.8 mpg
Cunningham - 11.7 mpg
Disu - 10.9 mpg

Bringing in two top 20 recruits in Mitchell and Morris both of which I'm sure have been made promises to same as Hunter was...
Did you bother to do that math? That’s about 110 minutes, meaning 90 minutes for the 3 players you’re talking about (Mitchell, Morris & Hunter), that’s 30 minutes for each. This is orange colored glasses you are talking with, if you want to talk about development etc ok, but as for available minutes Texas was/is just as attractive as Tennessee, if not more.

I think moco is letting Morris’s rating cloud his judgment. If he was so good Texas wouldn’t have thrown the kitchen sink at another point guard.

It’s a weak PG class. Being the #1 pg this year isn’t that big of a deal.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Freshman POY’s don’t typically transfer either. You’re really undervaluing how good Hunter is. Morris won’t start over Hunter. 0 chance.

My opinions on Hunter's potential at Texas are more about Beard and his brand of play than Hunter and his talent. I was one of the first people to bring up Hunter ITT when he went in the portal, I think he's extremely talented. Just think he picked the wrong system to showcase it.

Did you bother to do that math? That’s about 110 minutes, meaning 90 minutes for the 3 players you’re talking about (Mitchell, Morris & Hunter), that’s 30 minutes for each. This is orange colored glasses you are talking with, if you want to talk about development etc ok, but as for available minutes Texas was/is just as attractive as Tennessee, if not more.

Texas returns 116.3 MPG in production, of those minutes - 85.4 were to players 6'6" or shorter (assumed) to be wing players.

So of the 120 minutes assumed for typical wing players (1-3) that would leave a total of 34.6 MPG to pick from between Morris, Hunter, Rice, Rowan.

That's assuming Mitchell plays mostly the 4 role and isn't eating into any of the wing minutes.

VN Store

Back