Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Playing in their brand new arena in its inaugural year is hard to match.
I see this angle mentioned often, but what is the real appeal, there? Yeah, a nice and shiny new arena is neat, but he is likely to be there one season. Is it really enough to be a deciding factor in his school decision? Are Thompson-Boling and Phog Allen so ancient that they lack appeal in comparison? For a kid that has taken his time, made visits, and done his due diligence, that seems like a pretty shallow reason for picking a school, especially the second time around. I guess if all things are equal, maybe it's a tiebreaker, bit it certainly wouldn't be a primary area of influence for me as a recruit.

I was at the Texas-UT game in Austin this year and there is not a lot of support for the Texas basketball team. Particularly unfortunate for me since I had two extra tickets on StubHub for about a month that finally sold at face value about 30 minutes before tip off.

I was at the Texas-UT game in Austin this year and there is not a lot of support for the Texas basketball team. Particularly unfortunate for me since I had two extra tickets on StubHub for about a month that finally sold at face value about 30 minutes before tip off.

Texas has made a lot of bad decisions over the years despite being one of the richest schools in the country.

Yeah, and that issue sort of plays into my point. Arena and atmosphere are two different things. Florida kind of has the same issue despite infinitely more recent success (2 titles).

Yeah, and that issue sort of plays into my point. Arena and atmosphere are two different things. Florida kind of has the same issue despite infinitely more recent success (2 titles).

The arena they were in definitely sucked and I’m sure Beard is pushing the new one as a recruiting tool but its real purpose is to try to lure the Spurs here

I see this angle mentioned often, but what is the real appeal, there? Yeah, a nice and shiny new arena is neat, but he is likely to be there one season. Is it really enough to be a deciding factor in his school decision? Are Thompson-Boling and Phog Allen so ancient that they lack appeal in comparison? For a kid that has taken his time, made visits, and done his due diligence, that seems like a pretty shallow reason for picking a school, especially the second time around. I guess if all things are equal, maybe it's a tiebreaker, bit it certainly wouldn't be a primary area of influence for me as a recruit.

There’s only one inaugural season. The spotlight will be on Texas. And it’s a palace - not just a new building.

There’s only one inaugural season. The spotlight will be on Texas. And it’s a palace - not just a new building.
I get what you're saying. I just don't get the appeal for a one-year kid from Racine, Wisconsin. If he was from Texas with local ties, maybe that idea tugs at his heartstrings, but I just can't imagine that detail weighing heavily on my transfer decision from his perspective.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I don’t know about “spotlight”. People don’t tend to tune into college hoops for the architecture. I’m sure it’ll juice attendance a little but Austin isn’t much of a basketball town or at least it wasn’t when I was there.

VN Store

Back