Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Yea, you have to be right. Who would pass up the chance to play at grassy creek in front of hundreds of fans in a stadium at that time didn’t even have visitor’s bleachers instead of playing in front of 100,000 in Neyland. CN just sold itself with its high school level facilities!
Hey now...it's Mossy Creek!

Reactions: walkenvol
Not a great look for Barnes. He's only at Tennessee because UCLA wouldn't pay his buyout and he's making huge money here. Ironic that he's complaining about the people who make him his money, wanting money. I wonder if he and his fellow coaches will agree to a coaching salary cap and maybe we can get their pay under control.

A swing and a miss...lol (did you even read the article before posting this?). A reasonable person would conclude CRB is looking out for the player's best interest while an unreasonable person, or one with a tired agenda, would try to spin it into something else as you did.

“Like I said, there are a lot of numbers out there that aren’t true, but some of them that are true,” Barnes said.

“I will say this, the numbers that are thrown around a lot with the NIL, some of them are going to be really bad bounced checks.”

The head men’s basketball coach is looking out for what’s best for the student athlete, and though he wants them to make money, he worries that NIL has damaged the recruiting process.

All Barnes wants is for NIL to be what it was supposed to be when it was first introduced: players making money off their likeness once they get on campus. Have NIL in place for them to take advantage of their play on the court and how they represent themselves, but have them choose a school for the right reasons.

I skimmed through 247’s top 100 and there are 2 guys remaining. Riley Kugel a 6’4” guard from Orlando Florida, and Adrame Diongue a 7’ Center from a prep school in Arizona. So if it’s in the current top 100 then those are 2 remaining. If it’s somebody he thinks will be in the top 100 when they update rankings then I do not know.
He said this person is currently not in the top 100, but will be at final rankings by at least one service.

He complained about having to pitch NiL deals as part of the recruiting process. He doesn't want people choosing schools for what he considers the wrong reasons, i.e. NiL offers.

Would you rather him not say something about recruits being misled or blatantly lied to? Or do you not believe CRB's assertion that recruits are being told "numbers" that simply are not true?

My only narrative is that NiL is a huge part of recruiting now and I want our coaches in every sport to fully embrace it rather than complain about it. I've not heard Heupel complaining about it at all. The right reasons to a coach who is already a multi-millionaire and a player who is very likely not, can be quiet different regarding financial incentives.

As for the Barnes hunting more money, he stated himself that his reason for choosing to return to Tennessee was wholly financially motivated. I don't blame him for that, it's his job. I find it hypocritical though, that he doesn't want players picking schools for that reason because it's not "the right way". This is their job. If a kid can command NiL dollars without playing any college ball, more power to them. It likely means they've already spent a significant chunk of their childhood playing and practicing basketball year round.

What do you not understand about CRB's assertion that players are being misled and/or lied to? Your myopia on this topic is only surpassed by your desire to bash CRB and his pay.

Last edited:
This is that bizarre narrative that if you don't claim Barnes is the lord and savior you're a "hater". Barnes has reportedly had issues with embracing NiL as a part of recruiting. He just did an interview talking about not wanting NiL to be a part of recruiting. That's a concern when other coaches in the conference embrace it and are hitting home runs using it. Hopefully the rumors that he is warming up to it are true. We can't afford to be one of the programs not on board with it.

You seem to be an expert on bizarre...lol. What's bizarre is the issue you have with CRB, as a member of the rules committee and a highly respected coach, seeing issues where young men and women are or will be taken advantage of and trying to do something about it. Really weird but not surprising.

Oh, and, I know you like rumors but suggest you slow your roll a bit on this one.

What do you not understand about CRB's assertion that players are being misled and/or lied to? Your myopia on this topic is only surpassed by desire to bash CRB and his pay.
I agree. He doesn’t want them to be misled. So, he should get involved with the people putting the deals together and make sure they are keeping the players’ best interests at the top of their list. Don’t just complain about it, do something. I’m sure that’s what he’d tell a player going through a tough time with some aspect of the game.

A swing and a miss...lol (did you even read the article before posting this?). A reasonable person would conclude CRB is looking out for the player's best interest while an unreasonable person, or one with a tired agenda, would try to spin it into something else as you did.

“Like I said, there are a lot of numbers out there that aren’t true, but some of them that are true,” Barnes said.

“I will say this, the numbers that are thrown around a lot with the NIL, some of them are going to be really bad bounced checks.”

The head men’s basketball coach is looking out for what’s best for the student athlete, and though he wants them to make money, he worries that NIL has damaged the recruiting process.

All Barnes wants is for NIL to be what it was supposed to be when it was first introduced: players making money off their likeness once they get on campus. Have NIL in place for them to take advantage of their play on the court and how they represent themselves, but have them choose a school for the right reasons.
I get that’s what he wants it to be, but it isn’t and won’t be unless they add regulations . And changing the rules isn’t likely any time soon. So he needs to deal with what is, not what he wishes it to be.

Ok spin doctor.

I don’t spin. Records are difficult to argue with since well they are records.

Hoping Barnes lands Hunter and Phillips. I am doubtful on both but until they sign elsewhere it’s still possible.

Also want Barnes to make an elite 8. Or heck even a 16 before he retires.

Who's gonna tell him?

I agree. He doesn’t want them to be misled. So, he should get involved with the people putting the deals together and make sure they are keeping the players’ best interests at the top of their list. Don’t just complain about it, do something. I’m sure that’s what he’d tell a player going through a tough time with some aspect of the game.

My understanding is he was not allowed to be involved until the recent legislation which passed allowing him to do so:

How new Tennessee law allows colleges to facilitate NIL payments to players

Also, how exactly do you expect him to get "involved" with what other programs are doing? And, isn't the fact that he is using his platform and reputation to call out the issues he sees considered him getting "involved"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
I get that’s what he wants it to be, but it isn’t and won’t be unless they add regulations . And changing the rules isn’t likely any time soon. So he needs to deal with what is, not what he wishes it to be.

So, you are assuming he won't do both (i.e., push for rule changes and recruit well in this new environment)? We only have rumors and speculation at this point. I agree CRB needs to figure out how to compete in this new environment and I expect that he is to the best of his ability. Having said that, like with other aspects of recruiting in the past, I am sure he has his boundaries for what he will and will not do. To this point, I have been satisfied with his recruiting results so I am willing to wait and see how this new environment effects his ability to recruit - the jury is still out for me until I see how things progress over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
IMO, CRB is the best recruiting head basketball coach we have ever had at UT and I am old enough to remember the latter part of the Ray Mears era well.

Recruiting is the least of my worries with CRB. He has been in this business long enough to know what kind of players he needs to win. He may not be putting together next year‘s team as fast as some of our fans want, but when the season rolls around, the UT basketball Vols will be locked and loaded and ready to rumble.

I skimmed through 247’s top 100 and there are 2 guys remaining. Riley Kugel a 6’4” guard from Orlando Florida, and Adrame Diongue a 7’ Center from a prep school in Arizona. So if it’s in the current top 100 then those are 2 remaining. If it’s somebody he thinks will be in the top 100 when they update rankings then I do not know.
Sounds like it might be DJ Jefferson, per the Ramey article.

Sounds like it might be DJ Jefferson, per the Ramey article.

Watched some video of the kid, I can definitely see him being in the top 100, kid is a freak.

Edit: "
DJ Jefferson should be a high major commodity
DJ Jefferson is a known player out of Minneapolis (MN) Minnesota Prep. The lefty shooting guard has a smooth floor game with range and confidence from all three levels.
He recently de-committed from Tulsa and has said schools like Washington State, Texas, and Wichita State. Jefferson is currently unranked by On3, but if he continues to play as he has so far, look for him to make a significant entry into the top 100."

Last edited:
Top 3 biggest stock risers according to On3

DJ Jefferson came into this camp unranked. He left the camp as a top 100 prospect. Jefferson recently de-committed from Tulsa with the coaching change and is currently uncommitted. He is a smooth scorer with a slick handle, excellent balance, and range beyond the arc. Jefferson is a three-level scorer and has an impressive burst at the rim. Washington State is making a move here; it will be interesting which other programs pop up after his showing at this event.

Idk if it’s the headband, but I get strong Shai Gilgeous-Alexander vibes. His vertical is better than SGA’s, but his build and slashing reminds me a lot of him.

That's a really good comparison.

On3 updates this upcoming week, will be interesting to see if Jefferson is ranked ahead of Edwards and where they put Awaka

Reactions: Dallasbowlin

VN Store

Back