Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Completely agree. It’s a win/win

Football - I would do 80 teams - 8 divisions - 10 teams per division. Teams play 9 division games - 2/3 non division games.

20 team playoff. Similar bball format but larger tourney.

Televise every game - every game available for regular viewing. TV contract would be enormous. Player contracts would be minimum 2 years - this would need to be fleshed out a bit more.

It is headed in that direction anyway.

fyp. I think you're underselling Collins a bit. His experience would've been big as well. That's a really senior team. Which is good and bad since we are going to lose so much next year.

Collins is staying at SLU anyway, so not sure why you're still stuck on him.

Hunter had the same level of production in his first year as Yuri did in his junior season, the only area that's not true was in assist. Hunter had 3.5 rebounds vs 4.1, Hunter had 2.0 steals vs 1.9, Hunter had 0.3 blocks vs 0.2, Hunter had 11.0 points vs 11.1. Yuri's 7.9 assist is huge I get that, but Hunter still had 4.9 (which is more than KC ended the season with).

So we can continue to pound the table for a guy that we have zero chance of getting in Yuri, or we can focus on one of the options we can still potentially land in Hunter. Yuri is staying at Saint Louis and I'm sure his team will be good, but doesn't help us one damn bit so who cares?

Collins is staying at SLU anyway, so not sure why you're still stuck on him.

Hunter had the same level of production in his first year as Yuri did in his junior season, the only area that's not true was in assist. Hunter had 3.5 rebounds vs 4.1, Hunter had 2.0 steals vs 1.9, Hunter had 0.3 blocks vs 0.2, Hunter had 11.0 points vs 11.1. Yuri's 7.9 assist is huge I get that, but Hunter still had 4.9 (which is more than KC ended the season with).

So we can continue to pound the table for a guy that we have zero chance of getting in Yuri, or we can focus on one of the options we can still potentially land in Hunter. Yuri is staying at Saint Louis and I'm sure his team will be good, but doesn't help us one damn bit so who cares?
I was fully on the Collins train and would still gladly take him, but Hunter would be a damn good consultation and I can see a case for being the better prospect. Hunter has a higher ceiling, that is the unknown, he has legitimate NBA potential in a similar mold as Chandler. Collins after 4 years is what he is at this point, which isn’t a bad thing, but he doesn’t really have much shot at the NBA most likely. Simply put, I think Hunter has a higher ceiling but also probably a lower floor than Collins, I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

I was fully on the Collins train and would still gladly take him, but Hunter would be a damn good consultation and I can see a case for being the better prospect. Hunter has a higher ceiling, that is the unknown, he has legitimate NBA potential in a similar mold as Chandler. Collins after 4 years is what he is at this point, which isn’t a bad thing, but he doesn’t really have much shot at the NBA most likely. Simply put, I think Hunter has a higher ceiling but also probably a lower floor than Collins, I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Yeah, Hunter has a season with some improvement on a better squad then he's getting drafted. Hell if he had shot better from 3 & FT this past season he may have gotten drafted.

He also went to an Iowa State team that had won a total of 14 games the past 2 seasons, new HC and then they win like they did this year...pretty impressive and he was a big part of that turn around for them. I would be happy with either, but Yuri is not an option anymore so I'm moving on.

So I know nobody probably actually knows this, but what are the realistic chances of us even getting Hunter? Just don't want to have all this talk about him when we aren't really in the running and more of just a team on a graphic (like with Skyy Clark).

I think the fact we're one of 3 schools getting a visit from him seems great, but anyone have any idea where the other two are with him? Just haven't heard much from VQ or 247 about Hunter and UT pursuing him, so just don't really have a feel on our realistic standing with the kid.

So I know nobody probably actually knows this, but what are the realistic chances of us even getting Hunter? Just don't want to have all this talk about him when we aren't really in the running and more of just a team on a graphic (like with Skyy Clark).

I think the fact we're one of 3 schools getting a visit from him seems great, but anyone have any idea where the other two are with him? Just haven't heard much from VQ or 247 about Hunter and UT pursuing him, so just don't really have a feel on our realistic standing with the kid.
i mean, it’s a good sign we are getting a visit from him. he’s visited purdue and gonna visit gonzaga after us.

Reactions: Volflyfisher

I’ve not heard anything on that front, Tennessee side has gotten pretty quiet since the Yuri debacle, maybe @Vols8086 or @FranklinVol16 have heard something? Just reading tea leaves I would say we at least have a chance, and aren’t just a hat on the table like with Clark. We are one of 3 schools as of now getting a visit from him, and a common theme with all 3 is a likely starting PG spot. He isn’t going to come here for free, I can pretty much guarantee that, so hopefully Tennessee has figured out whatever the issues are with NIL & Spyre before his visit.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
It won’t be college sports. That’s the point. College sports as we know it are dead.

I think, at best, "college sports" is on life support and that, to me, a fan of old school, "mostly amateur" athletics, is very sad. I couldn't care less about the NBA because I have zero interest in watching a bunch of millionaires running around and playing at the NBA version of basketball. It won't be long until NCAA Division 1 is fully and officially relegated to a minor league professional product where the NBA version of the game is played even more poorly than in the NBA, without even the pretense of playing for a school.

I'll miss the old ways, but there's still Division 3. I'll be long gone before money corrupts college sports down to that level.

In retrospect, maybe Skyy Clark should’ve been a take :/

I think, at best, "college sports" is on life support and that, to me, a fan of old school, "mostly amateur" athletics, is very sad. I couldn't care less about the NBA because I have zero interest in watching a bunch of millionaires running around and playing at the NBA version of basketball. It won't be long until NCAA Division 1 is fully and officially relegated to a minor league professional product where the NBA version of the game is played even more poorly than in the NBA, without even the pretense of playing for a school.

I'll miss the old ways, but there's still Division 3. I'll be long gone before money corrupts college sports down to that level.

Division ll is the closest thing we’ll have left to Classic College Basketball

Division ll is the closest thing we’ll have left to Classic College Basketball
Depends on how schism unfolds. The Supreme Court ruling was about the monopsony in college athletics. As long as there is a division that allows players to get paid, then theoretically you could have divisions which don’t allow it. It’s the state laws regarding NIL that I’m unsure about.

Hunter is not surrounded by a team of handlers like Phillips or BHH. He wants to start at a P5 school. He wants NIL money. He has solid mentors, including Caron Butler who coached him in AAU. Butler knows Gainey and knows Barnes is a great PG coach. We’re competing against other stable programs with good coaches. We may lose the fight to get him, but it won’t be as sleazy as some of the other deals. On Phillips, he’s day two at Auburn, and still has a presentation with Ignite this week before deciding.

I'm curious to see what the numbers are in a couple years as far as TV ratings and money flow. A lot of people say they are going to stop who won't, then there are people who say they won't stop and probably will. Imo there will be enough who do stop that will be noticeable but I'm not sure it will actually change anything.

Hunter is not surrounded by a team of handlers like Phillips or BHH. He wants to start at a P5 school. He wants NIL money. He has solid mentors, including Caron Butler who coached him in AAU. Butler knows Gainey and knows Barnes is a great PG coach. We’re competing against other stable programs with good coaches. We may lose the fight to get him, but it won’t be as sleazy as some of the other deals. On Phillips, he’s day two at Auburn, and still has a presentation with Ignite this week before deciding.
450k and let's ride.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Any idea as to how the staff feels after yesterdays conversation you mentioned?

Even if he OVs, does anyone have confidence that Barnes won't screw up the NIL? Barnes may not like the NIL, but he's going to have to get comfortable with it or get left behind.

We're in his top 6, he's visiting, and we have a void of 30 or more MPG for the position he plays as of right now. I'd say we're probably in the mix with 2 other teams.

I think our biggest competition for landing him may actually be Louisville. They were in his recruitment outta HS, they have some talent on that roster, they play in the ACC, and now that Coach K is gone they could emerge as one of the new top teams in that conference.

Why? So our fans could complain about him and then question the take later on?
Well hopefully we’re not making calls based on fan reactions. The reason would be that not that our done deal Yuri fell through we need another PG and he seems like he’ll be a solid one

What kind of resources does a Gonzaga NIL have?

Probably very beneficial to have Intl basketball connections now since you don’t have to worry about NIL

VN Store

Back