Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Maybe if Howard leaves for the NBA while he’s there, we can have a relationship with him already for the transfer portal

You know this how?

Juwan hasn’t even taken a call from the NBA since he got to Michigan. He’s stated multiple times he knew he was in line to get an NBA job but wanted the Michigan job more than that. He loves Michigan and wants to establish his family and is very involved with the other athletics there. There’s a significant buyout if he leaves.

I missed it was the video guy. Yeah I don't think that hurts then, if nobody is really after him but us and Michigan it doesnt hurt to be second just in case

Some kids want there own legacy... Not saying he's that kid, but doesn't hurt to try.

Pretty much this. I admire and respect that Barnes and Company are shooting their shot, and apparently Jett admires it, too. He almost certainly will go to Michigan, but you gotta like that we're at least trying and if he does decide to carve his own path he'd likely do it at Tennessee now because we decided to not just be scared and pursued him anyway.

Some guys want to do their own thing. Maybe he wants to write his own chapter, rather than being in dad's shadow. Highly, highly doubtful but still like that we're going for it.

Last edited:
On the other hand...

When you've been learning all your life from your father/coach, and your goal is playing NBA, you can only improve your future by spending time learning under another great coach.

Reactions: Ace
Disagree...we have a video guy recruiting him, not Barnes or any of the 3 assistants, doubt recruiting Howard is taking time away from recruiting anyone else.
Fair enough, but I assume our video guy does something constructive with his time for the program? Any time spent talking with Howard’s boy is wasted time for anyone not at Michigan

Fair enough, but I assume our video guy does something constructive with his time for the program? Any time spent talking with Howard’s boy is wasted time for anyone not at Michigan
This seems more like a case of you making a mountain out of a mole hill. The program isn’t crumbling because of a video coordinator throwing a handful of attention at a kid we likely won’t sign. On the other hand, if something wild happens that leads to him choosing Tennessee, then you’ll have a minimal amount of effort from a support staff member to thank for it.

You call this a Catbone effort. I call it more Bruin-like.

We have a pretty defined ‘22 list already, I would say the staff probably knows what they’re doing in recruiting as they’re getting ready to sign a Top 5 class nationally.

Basketball recruiting also isn't as time consuming as football recruiting. Signing five players in basketball is a large class. Going on a few flyers for guys you probably won't get isn't going to hurt much in recruiting your smallish circle of recruits.
Correct, and as I mentioned this staff already has a pretty defined ‘22 list. Let’s say they take Tamba and leave the last spot open, Chandler and BHH depart as one and dones, that’s 3 open spots, even a transfer makes 4...they’re in a great spot with Edwards and almost certainly Berry given the BMaze connection. They’ve been recruiting Okpora and Miller for a really long time, their board is already pretty small.

VN Store

Back