Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Maybe taking Tamba is about Edwards?
Possible. If you have to take Tamba as a goodwill gesture towards landing Springer, Huntley-Hatfield, Edwards, Cain, and Felton, then there are worse kids to fall on the sword for than a guy who is 7-0 and some translatable skills to work with. Tamba isn’t just a bum, either. He has offers from Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Wake Forest, and Vandy, as well.

I mean a local 7' kid who you can get in early to RS and develop while playing with Fulkerson, BHH, Uros, and Aidoo in a year where you get an "extra" scholarship (with Fulky not counting if he returns) I think this would definitely be the year to take him as a project.

Cause you could lose BHH and Aidoo after this season, both have potential to enter the NBA draft with good years or either could decide to transfer.

Possible. If you have to take Tamba as a goodwill gesture towards landing Springer, Huntley-Hatfield, Edwards, Cain, and Felton, then there are worse kids to fall on the sword for than a guy who is 7-0 and some translatable skills to work with. Tamba isn’t just a bum, either. He has offers from Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Wake Forest, and Vandy, as well.
So you think all these other highly ranked recruits won’t come to UT unless Tamba is able to sit on the bench and watch them play?

So you think all these other highly ranked recruits won’t come to UT unless Tamba is able to sit on the bench and watch them play?
Not saying that, but if taking Tamba is any sort of element into keeping the pipeline into the BMaze Elite AAU program, you do it. It’s a small price to pay to maintain that relationship.

Not saying that, but if taking Tamba is any sort of element into keeping the pipeline into the BMaze Elite AAU program, you do it. It’s a small price to pay to maintain that relationship.
I’m ok with that if indeed that’s the case but it seems like that theory has just surfaced and appears to be complete speculation

That is completely fair, absolutely. I guess I should rephrase. I think I’d rather have Tamba be in the 2022 class at this point but if he’s gonna redshirt and knows that when he gets here, it doesn’t really matter. I just don’t trust our evaluation of big man projects, we’ve only hit on one and that was six years ago.

I’m ok with that if indeed that’s the case but it seems like that theory has just surfaced and appears to be complete speculation
Well, it is speculation, yes. But, I don’t think Tennessee is offering him if they don’t believe he can play without having an alternative plan as to what his presence on the team can provide going forward.

That is completely fair, absolutely. I guess I should rephrase. I think I’d rather have Tamba be in the 2022 class at this point but if he’s gonna redshirt and knows that when he gets here, it doesn’t really matter. I just don’t trust our evaluation of big man projects, we’ve only hit on one and that was six years ago.
I’ll assume you mean Williams, but I think Alexander was a very solid contributor, Fulk (when healthy) has also been solid. If you count Pons as a big man, he was solid. Burns could have been if he could have stuck around and stayed in shape. He obviously has talent. Corey Walker remains to be seen what he could have been for us, but he certainly has pedigree.

On the flipside, Kent wasn’t good. Plav hasn’t materialized. Pember was a reach, though probably no more (less, actually) of a “big man” than Pons. Derrick Walker was decent in spurts as a freshman and then never took the next step, and left. Nkamhoua is still an unknown, but I don’t have great hopes.

Probably a little unfair to say he’s only hit on one guy in 6 years, but there have certainly been more misses than we’d like to see in the post.

Thing is even if Tamba doesn't RS you still get him a year earlier so his development by next season will be further along when you know you won't have Fulky and most likely won't have BHH or Aidoo (could lose all 3).

Reactions: Volfan1000
I’ll assume you mean Williams, but I think Alexander was a very solid contributor, Fulk (when healthy) has also been solid. If you count Pons as a big man, he was solid. Burns could have been if he could have stuck around and stayed in shape. He obviously has talent. Corey Walker remains to be seen what he could have been for us, but he certainly has pedigree.

On the flipside, Kent wasn’t good. Plav hasn’t materialized. Pember was a reach, though probably no more (less, actually) of a “big man” than Pons. Derrick Walker was decent in spurts as a freshman and then never took the next step, and left. Nkamhoua is still an unknown, but I don’t have great hopes.

Probably a little unfair to say he’s only hit on one guy in 6 years, but there have certainly been more misses than we’d like to see in the post.

Williams wasn’t a project. He was very skilled just short. I was referring to Alexander. Pons was a top 100 player I don’t count him as a project. Even though he was raw.

Thing is even if Tamba doesn't RS you still get him a year earlier so his development by next season will be further along when you know you won't have Fulky and most likely won't have BHH or Aidoo (could lose all 3).

Yeah, who cares if the kid doesn't contribute year 1. You know what's going to make him a lot better? Playing with 2-4 NBA dudes every day in practice.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

VN Store

Back