Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

So, if there isn't a scholarship available, then who is staying?

There are 2 current prospects signed in Chandler and Mashack.

Pons is surely gone after this year. Fulky is the other Senior, but there's talk he might stay another year. Anosike is said to be staying another year. Between Keon and Springer surely one of them is going to the pros. I just don't see how there isn't a scholarship that's going to be available especially to go after the center from WVU.

Can someone clarify this for me?
I feel like I read somewhere at some point that returning seniors (meaning players who are seniors this year and would usually be out of eligibility but won't be because of the free Covid year) would not count against the scholarship cap next year

I feel like I read somewhere at some point that returning seniors (meaning players who are seniors this year and would usually be out of eligibility but won't be because of the free Covid year) would not count against the scholarship cap next year
Correct

Reactions: Vol49er
Yes, that's correct. But, Pons is surely going pro regardless. And, I'd be shocked if at least one of the Freshmen didn't go pro.

It sounds like Tennessee will be a player for Caleb Mills, he’s open to waiting until spring if a school doesn’t have an open spot now. UNC is thought by some to be the favorite, however they also don’t currently have an open spot. Wants to play close to home (Knoxville is closest major program to his home), he wants a family atmosphere, and Tennessee recruited and offered him out of high school (UNC did not).

Dudes a walking bucket and has NBA level skill, my biggest questions would be is he willing to commit to playing/coached defense at a high level, and will he be ok playing off the ball a good amount as a 2.

Last edited:
It sounds like Tennessee will be a player for Caleb Mills, he’s open to waiting until spring if a school doesn’t have an open spot now. UNC is thought by some to be the favorite, however they also don’t currently have an open spot. Wants to play close to home (Knoxville is closest major program to his home), he wants a family atmosphere, and Tennessee recruited and offered him out of high school (UNC did not).

I will take him in the spring and the WV big right now. That would be awesome if that happened. BTO what do you think our chances are for the big out of WV?

I will take him in the spring and the WV big right now. That would be awesome if that happened. BTO what do you think our chances are for the big out of WV?
To land Tschiebwe someone has to transfer now or be removed from scholarship, that doesn’t seem likely, which is unfortunate because I think he’d be a great fit for next years team.

To land Tschiebwe someone has to transfer now or be removed from scholarship, that doesn’t seem likely, which is unfortunate because I think he’d be a great fit for next years team.
Yep, I wish he and Mills's situations were reversed. We need Tshiebwe a lot more than Mills.

Yep, I wish he and Mills's situations were reversed. We need Tshiebwe a lot more than Mills.
Probably a little dependent on what occurs this off-season....lose Johnson, Springer and potentially James while Anosike & Fulky return and a case could be made for Mills. Of course that can be flipped too and I get that.

I think both guys likely fit next years roster which is why you saw Tennessee reaching out to both, something they are picky about.

Probably a little dependent on what occurs this off-season....lose Johnson, Springer and potentially James while Anosike & Fulky return and a case could be made for Mills. Of course that can be flipped too and I get that.

I think both guys likely fit next years roster which is why you saw Tennessee reaching out to both, something they are picky about.
Yeah, that is possible, but I think it's very unlikely that all three of those guards leave. If they did, though, Mills becomes more important. In the post, I think an argument can be made that even if no one left (including Pons), we could still use Tshiebwe.

Looks like UT has no chance at Oscar and I see no reason to go after Mills if one or both of the freshmen guards comeback, not much PT, considering 2 more guards just signed, the Chef and Mashack

Reactions: walkenvol
Yeah, that is possible, but I think it's very unlikely that all three of those guards leave. If they did, though, Mills becomes more important. In the post, I think an argument can be made that even if no one left (including Pons), we could still use Tshiebwe.
Given his skill level he likely would fill a big role, yes.

Reactions: berryvol
Looks like UT has no chance at Oscar and I see no reason to go after Mills if one or both of the freshmen guards comeback, not much PT, considering 2 more guards just signed, the Chef and Mashack

Well we likely won’t know the answer about who’s leaving until after we need to know about Mills...given we will have 3 years of eligibility remaining it’s not like only next year is what applies. Also, if we do lose even just 1 of those guys and lose 1 of Fulk/Anosike it’s likely James is going to need to play some 4 making minutes at guard more available.

Reactions: ricepatty
If Mills transferred here after this season, wouldn’t he still need to sit out a year anyhow? Or did they end up approving that one time transfer rule and I missed it? Or is there some Covid exception?

Thought someone had posted earlier there was a chance of ORN or Gaines transferring. Would that be a stronger possibility if Mills were to be signed?

Last edited:
Thought someone had posted earlier there was a chance of ORN or Gaines transferring. Would that be a stronger possibility if Mills were to be signed?
More likely Gaines than ON if you're basing it solely on position. Mills would affect Gaines playing time, bit not ON's.

Gaines needs pt to develop. If the wing rotation continues to be so competitive that he only gets a couple minutes per game then he should transfer and I’m a fan of his.
I think Gaines might be his own worst enemy right now. Every time the coaches seem to give him a legitimate look, he jacks up a shot real quick without getting in the flow of the game. I think Gaines may misunderstand what type of role we need from him. In my opinion, Gaines role is to come in provide energy, defense, rebound, run the offense, and score easy shots that come to him. His goal when he comes in should be to bring more possessions to the team through defense and rebounding and not taking possessions from the team through bad shots and turnovers.

I think Gaines thinks his way to play time is through trying to score like our other guards; however, he is never going to play if that is the case because the other guards have stronger skill sets than him. Gaines mindset should be I need to be more productive to the team than EJA and ORN. If Gaines can be more productive to the team than those two he could carve himself out a role in small ball lineups when JJJ is at the 4.

Gaines seems like a great kid and teammate, but if your goal is to win championships you got to make some hard decisions. If Caleb Mills is interested in signing with the Vols and is a fit with the culture, you take him, even if it causes someone to leave.

Chandler
Mills
Bailey
JJJ
Fulky

idk man, that would be another fun and athletic team. Size lacks, but if Anosike comes back, he will develop and hopefully our other bigs do as well, we will need it next year.

I think Gaines might be his own worst enemy right now. Every time the coaches seem to give him a legitimate look, he jacks up a shot real quick without getting in the flow of the game. I think Gaines may misunderstand what type of role we need from him. In my opinion, Gaines role is to come in provide energy, defense, rebound, run the offense, and score easy shots that come to him. His goal when he comes in should be to bring more possessions to the team through defense and rebounding and not taking possessions from the team through bad shots and turnovers.

I think Gaines thinks his way to play time is through trying to score like our other guards; however, he is never going to play if that is the case because the other guards have stronger skill sets than him. Gaines mindset should be I need to be more productive to the team than EJA and ORN. If Gaines can be more productive to the team than those two he could carve himself out a role in small ball lineups when JJJ is at the 4.

Gaines seems like a great kid and teammate, but if your goal is to win championships you got to make some hard decisions. If Caleb Mills is interested in signing with the Vols and is a fit with the culture, you take him, even if it causes someone to leave.
Good post and I agree with almost all of that and just like walkenvol, I'm a big fan of Gaines, too

VN Store

Back