Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I guess Penny’s job is safe for one more year.

It's gonna be hilarious to see Fulkerson put another 5-star center on roller skates with his new found dream shake. Nick Richards had zero clue how to guard him. If fulkerson adds another move like that for next year, I'm convinced teams will have to put in backups just to spread the fouls out.

It's gonna be hilarious to see Fulkerson put another 5-star center on roller skates with his new found dream shake. Nick Richards had zero clue how to guard him. If fulkerson adds another move like that for next year, I'm convinced teams will have to put in backups just to spread the fouls out.
If this man can extend his game to the 3pt line, he’ll be the most unguardable 5 in the country. Adam Morrison esque.

So, making the large assumption that we get Chandler, what do you gurus believe are the odds that we land at least one other 5* this class?

I shared this yesterday...

Basketball Recruiting - Wednesday's Leftovers: Mason Miller, Ryan Mutombo, Vols

Question: I know Paolo and Kennedy want to team up. Paolo could go to UK and Kennedy to UT or both team up at either one. Put that aside who does Tennessee have a real chance with between Jabari smith and Paolo?

Corey Evans:
Honestly, both. How crazy would that be? Not only would Tennessee land arguably the nation’s top point guard in Kennedy Chandler, but also
Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith. The chances of such a package deal actually working out are minimal at best, but the Vols are not just fodder for both Banchero and Smith but legitimate landing spots for each.

We covered Smith yesterday and while I like Auburn just a bit more than UT, the five-star has trended towards playing next to a premier point guard which the Vols could offer if Chandler were to commit to Tennessee. They’re probably second in the running for Smith where Duke and Kentucky are slightly ahead for Banchero but again, the separation is very slight between the blue bloods and UT.
Banchero has often discussed playing next to Chandler in college. Duke, UK and UT both find themselves on each of their final lists and of the three, Tennessee is the school that has the best chance of making such a package deal happen.

Somebody in the know, give me some sort of archetype for the kind of players Chandler, Smith, and Banchero are, just so I can envision how it would look them playing here. I saw somebody say Chandler plays similar to Chris Paul, haven’t seen much about the other two

I’m hopeful that between not visiting and also not being that close to home that they don’t vault to the top...if he chooses to do something sooner that would be nice.
Jabari Smith definitely has a Kevin Durant build and skillset. He isn't KD-level talented, but the style is very similar, so I'd think being coached by Barnes is likely of great appeal to him, and I'm sure that is part of the selling point by the staff. After Fulk graduates, we don't really have another player in his mold outside of Pember, who is obviously a couple years from contributing.

Somebody in the know, give me some sort of archetype for the kind of players Chandler, Smith, and Banchero are, just so I can envision how it would look them playing here. I saw somebody say Chandler plays similar to Chris Paul, haven’t seen much about the other two

Jabari Smith- Jaren Jackson Jr, or at worst, Kevon Looney/ Quincy Miller.

Kennedy Chandler- Darren Collison, or even a bigger Tyler Ullis.

Paolo is the most unique of the bunch. He has a similar mature skillset as Blake Griffin, without the explosiveness around the rim. I like the PJ Washington comparison, but his perimeter game is already leagues above Washington and he's 3 inches taller. He's a more athletic/ modern David West to me. The bigger Tobias Harris comparison is solid too.

Teaming up Jabari and Paolo would be insane. Two 6'10 guys who can shoot the 3 and protect the rim, then Kennedy to glue it all together.

Penny moved this guy and his handler from NY to Memphis. Its not a secret

DII LeMoyne-Owen HC William Anderson brought Moussa Cisse from New York to Memphis so the young man from Africa could get a good education at Lausanne (where Marc Gasol attended). Anderson became so close with Cisse and his family back home he was declared his legal guardian. Had he not been a high-major recruit I'm sure he would have attended LeMoyne-Owen on a hoops scholly.

William Anderson - Head Men's Basketball Coach - Staff Directory - LeMoyne-Owen College Athletics

I think Kennedy Chandler has a chance to be a new age TJ Ford. Built a lot like him and plays a good bit like him too. Elite quickness, floor general who is tough on both ends despite smaller frame. Wouldn’t be surprised if Barnes is pushing that angle in recruiting

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol49er
On the recruiting front there has been a LOT of behind the scenes chatter this week that five-star point guard Kennedy Chandler may be close to pulling the trigger and committing to Tennessee. There’s a lot of smoke there at the moment, and as we’ve been saying for practically months now, it’s felt to us like Tennessee is the team to beat.

However, one of our rivals’ national analysts spoke to Chandler’s father on Wednesday night and he insisted that a commitment was not imminent and that the family’s desire was to take visits in the fall (presuming the dead period is lifted) and then make a decision.

That would seem to pump the breaks on an impending commitment, but regardless of what happens it’s really starting to feel like Tennessee is in the driver’s seat here.

Also, as we noted last week, if Chandler jumps in the Vol’s boat, they immediately become more attractive to other five stars like Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith, two prospects that we’re told Chandler speaks with regularly.
-VQ.

I think chatter from his dad is just smoke to keep it a surprise. If it’s true he’s silently committed, there’s 0 reason to take more visits. I doubt there’s anything left for him to see. JMO

I feel like Chandler’s dad has been pretty honest and straight with his interviews, so I’m inclined to believe him; however, there has been an insane number of futurecasts and crystal balls this week and typically that isn’t done if a prospect is months from a decision and still has multiple official visits left. Feels like the dad is just blowing smoke this time.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
I'm cross-posting from Kennedy Chandler's recruiting thread:

The Crystal Balls are now 100% Tennessee with John Watson of Duke changing his Crystal Ball early this morning.

And then there's this from a new interview with Travis Branham: Kennedy Chandler discusses top five, timeframe and Ja Morant

While things have been buzzing around his recruitment, he says he would still like to see every school on his final list before deciding.
"I still want to see all of the schools before I make my decision," he said.

Tennessee: "I got a good relationship with them and coach [Kim] English. Ever since they offered me they have been recruiting me really hard and they have some underrated players that go there and that’s a school that I’m interested in."

When asked if he has a timeframe regarding when he would like to make a decision, he simply said, "No, I do not."

Tennessee has shifted and has received 100-percent of the crystal ball picks for the top ten prospect.

Not sure quite how involved we are with him, but Caleb Houstan has reclassified into the 2021 class. He holds a Tennessee offer and is originally from Canada. Barnes has obviously had a lot of success recruiting Canada in the past; Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson, and Kyle Alexander. Duke and Michigan State are the only bluebloods really involved, right now. Gonzaga, Arizona, Alabama, Maryland, and Michigan are in there, too, among others. Michigan State already has Emoni Bates committed, so really unlikely that Houstan goes there since they play the same position and Bates is a generational talent.

Houstan was ranked the #7 player in the 2022 class in the 247 composite, so he is likely a top-10/15 player in the 2021 class, now that he has reclassified. Someone to maybe keep an eye on as he plays a position of need. 6-8, 190 lb SF, and currently plays at Montverde Academy in Florida.

By far the guy that has generated the biggest buzz since they’ve at least gotten to get on the court and do something aside from working on their shot is freshman Keon Johnson and it’s not close. His drawn praise not just for his athleticism and skill set, but the intensity that he attacks each drill with and is constantly pushing himself to get better.

Based on what we’re hearing it’s not a stretch to say that some close to the program feel like Johnson will have a chance to be the best player that Rick Barnes has coached in Knoxville.
-VQ.

VN Store

Back