Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

This transfer rule could become a major part of recruiting, no longer can only add a graduate transfer to have someone immediate eligible, could add anyone who hasn’t transferred before and they’d be immediately eligible...game changer. Think about the potential big men across the country who haven’t transferred before and could be added to Tennessee next year?

Reactions: Yeiser10
This transfer rule could become a major part of recruiting, no longer can only add a graduate transfer to have someone immediate eligible, could add anyone who hasn’t transferred before and they’d be immediately eligible...game changer. Think about the potential big men across the country who haven’t transferred before and could be added to Tennessee next year?

Yes it could
And it’s a shame

I like it as a one-time deal. Kids make emotional choices/mistakes when committing and with all the pressure on them. Also since coaches can do it anytime they want (essentially) then I have no problem with kids being to do it at least once. I think it could help those programs who recruit the right way vs. those who recruit with more shady techniques. Feel like as many kids as we have come and go regularly that it will be a good thing for those borderline kids that want a better situation.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Seems like it will basically make a free agent market every year which will likely hurt smaller schools and help the blue bloods. But from the athlete standpoint I’m not opposed. The NCAA needs to pick their battles and I’d rather them make this change than eliminate the amateur requirement

My big concern would be when a coach leaves, could half of the team transfer if they liked the coaches? I could see this destroying some teams. Not a fan if that's the only criteria. How long would it take for a team down to 45 scholarship players to get back to 85 with a 25/year limit?

Reactions: cardvolfan
On the recruiting front, the Vols could potentially have a big official visitor in town next weekend for the matchup with Florida. Five-star prospect and the No. 5 ranked player in the Class of 2021, Jabari Smith, is tentatively scheduled for an official visit, though that’s subject to change. His team is currently playing in the postseason right now and if they win their next two then Smith will have to reschedule. Tennessee was in Georgia on Wednesday and Thursday visiting with Smith and guard Kowacie Reeves. Reeves, the No. 35 ranked player in 2021, has really seen the Vols turn up the heat on him in the last couple of months. Consider him a top shelf target for this staff in 2021 where they are really swinging for the fences at the moment.
-VQ

My big concern would be when a coach leaves, could half of the team transfer if they liked the coaches? I could see this destroying some teams. Not a fan if that's the only criteria. How long would it take for a team down to 45 scholarship players to get back to 85 with a 25/year limit?
Good point. Could there be a potential cap on number of transfers to avoid this?

I’ve saw it mentioned the 25 cap could be removed all together...this would allow coaches to truly run guys off now, but would at least allow those guys to be immediately eligible somewhere else.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Good point. Could there be a potential cap on number of transfers to avoid this?

I was thinking more so maybe if they have someone transfer with this rule then they are able to recover/add a scholarship to the cap, so if they had 2 guys transfer under this rule then their limit would be 27 that recruiting season.

Not a big fan of the 25 limit per year. To me, if you are going to cap it 85, a school should be allowed to sign as many as it takes in any given year to reach 85. Maybe they eliminate 25 rule in this same legislation.

Edit: just saw @bleedingTNorange post. Same idea.

Reactions: MoB_MoVols
It should be 100% about what’s best for the student athletes and 0% about what’s best for the schools and coaches. Coaches get paid $millions, schools make $millions off of TV, athletes make $thousands from their scholarships. Unfortunately, the AD’s make the rules and they care about the students last. Run a good program and treat the students right and you won’t have a lot leaving.

Reactions: zaqhhh
It should be 100% about what’s best for the student athletes and 0% about what’s best for the schools and coaches. Coaches get paid $millions, schools make $millions off of TV, athletes make $thousands from their scholarships. Unfortunately, the AD’s make the rules and they care about the students last. Run a good program and treat the students right and you won’t have a lot leaving.

If it’s 100% about what’s best for the players then why have any rules ? No academic requirements or any kind of payment for play rules

If it’s 100% about what’s best for the players then why have any rules ? No academic requirements or any kind of payment for play rules
I didn’t say “players “, instead “student athletes “. If they don’t want to go to school then join the G league or European leagues. If there’s any kind of pay then they’re professionals not student athletes.

Go to class, make your grades, follow the the rules for all the students at the school. Shouldn’t be any restrictions on student athletes that aren’t on any regular students. If they like their opportunity better elsewhere then no one should restrict their movements.

I didn’t say “players “, instead “student athletes “. If they don’t want to go to school then join the G league or European leagues. If there’s any kind of pay then they’re professionals not student athletes.

Go to class, make your grades, follow the the rules for all the students at the school. Shouldn’t be any restrictions on student athletes that aren’t on any regular students. If they like their opportunity better elsewhere then no one should restrict their movements.

Ok

The what about the pay for play rules?

If it’s all about the players why not let boosters rule the roost and pay players? That would be good for them

That’s the big thing. Under the current limits there won’t be enough landing places. I can see schools only signing 18-20 high school kids so they can allow for transfers in and out.

Because that would make them professional players instead of student athletes. That’s how I view it and I understand others have different perspectives

Because that would make them professional players instead of student athletes. That’s how I view it and I understand others have different perspectives

The point I was trying to make is the NCAA can’t be just about what’s best for the players. It’s has to be a mixture to protect the player, schools and integrity of the game itself. Allowing free agency opens up a huge can of worms that jeopardizes all 3 of this to be honest. There must be rules

Reactions: Roustabout
I really hope we get some guys who can shoot...

I am so sick of watching our guys miss open 3's. While the other teams are hitting contested 3's and deep 3's.

I sometimes get the feeling it's like we practice defense so much we don't coach or practice shooting. Idk just frustrating

The point I was trying to make is the NCAA can’t be just about what’s best for the players. It’s has to be a mixture to protect the player, schools and integrity of the game itself. Allowing free agency opens up a huge can of worms that jeopardizes all 3 of this to be honest. There must be rules
Unfortunately, they lost that when they allowed schools to spend and pay coaches whatever they wanted. It’s the worst kind of model. As long as a coach can make 10 million and the ones risking life and limb get a scholarship, this discussion will never go away.

I don’t support player pay. Of course I also think coaches should be required to teach classes on campus and be capped at $500,000 per year.

I am so sick of watching our guys miss open 3's. While the other teams are hitting contested 3's and deep 3's.

I sometimes get the feeling it's like we practice defense so much we don't coach or practice shooting. Idk just frustrating

Bailey & Santiago probably be our best 3 shooters next season. James has really improved his shot too so wouldn't surprise me if he's more confident from deep.

Not sure about Keon, but I know Springer is more of a drive to the rim type of scorer (which I actually think we need more than 3 shooters), nothing makes a 3 easier to hit than a kick-out when your guy crashed inside to help on penetration.

Reason for optimism...

As a team we are 161/527 from deep which is 30.6% and good for 310th nationally...

Jordan Bowden & Lamonte Turner are a combined 52/195 from deep...

Remove them from the equation (neither will be on next years team) and the returning guys are a combined 109/332 which is good for 32.8%, which would rank more in the middle of the national average.

Again that’s not stellar by any means, but your top 4 perimeter shooters are all eligible to return, and Barnes players have shown a track record of improving their shots...plus you add a guy in Bailey who shot 40% from deep last season and it should definitely be an improvement.

VN Store

Back