Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I think Keon has a higher ceiling.
As do I. But, next year I think Springer will be better on the offensive side and will be a one and done. Keon comes back for a 2nd year at UT and balls out, goes in the lottery ahead of wherever Springer ends up going. In the long run, Keon will be the better player at UT (2 years over one) and in the NBA, imo

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Okay, let's assume that a spot opens by the Spring signing period. Who will UT sign ? Cardwell would be my number one choice. But, if for some reason that doesn't happen, does UT take a chance on the 6'9, 220 pound kid from Knox Catholic (I've drawn a blank on his name) or does UT try for a grad transfer ?

Okay, let's assume that a spot opens by the Spring signing period. Who will UT sign ? Cardwell would be my number one choice. But, if for some reason that doesn't happen, does UT take a chance on the 6'9, 220 pound kid from Knox Catholic (I've drawn a blank on his name) or does UT try for a grad transfer ?

34 Akeem Odusipe C 6'9 220 Sr.

Reactions: The Dog

Barnes and staff haven’t really circled back to guys they’ve passed on, Glover being a recent example, so I’m guessing that doesn’t happen.

A grad transfer maybe improves us for next year, depending on who, but I’m also pretty open to the idea of a project type redshirt big man, which could be someone like Cardwell.

With that in mind I could also see them taking a high level sit out transfer, I just think given the numbers and the depth having someone sitting out might not be a bad move for future.

I'd like to know if there is NCAA legislation regarding scholarship players converting to walk-on status. I know that Allan Houston did that, but it was 25 years ago. With what Will Wade has gotten away with and the Blue Bloods' giant player payrolls I see little difficulty for a booster to be able to get appropriate funding to the family of a player so that they could pay his way as a walk-on.

Reactions: ArdentVol
? For BTO or rest of board. It looks like for 2021 class we may have to sign possibly 6 players if everyone were to leave? Do I have that right? And my guess would be that we have to sign at least 3 in the early signing period in November for Fulkerson, Pons, and J Johnson? Then possibly 2-3 more in spring depending on who turns pro ( Springer, Johnson, JJJ). Does that sound right? Just need to know if anyone can elaborate on how all of that might shake down. Thanks

? For BTO or rest of board. It looks like for 2021 class we may have to sign possibly 6 players if everyone were to leave? Do I have that right? And my guess would be that we have to sign at least 3 in the early signing period in November for Fulkerson, Pons, and J Johnson? Then possibly 2-3 more in spring depending on who turns pro ( Springer, Johnson, JJJ). Does that sound right? Just need to know if anyone can elaborate on how all of that might shake down. Thanks

Sounds right. Three spots will open up from graduation and then one-for-one with any attrition.

With that many spots in the next cycle the staff would be wise to find some 2020s to place in prep schools and become 2021s. That and lining up JUCOs and/or dancing with potential transfers.

Reactions: rocky200663

If JJ leaves this year like many have speculated then that could be one less spot...so just Pons and Fulk graduating. The unknowns are them who leaves for the NBA, I have a hard time seeing all 3 go, but never know, will definitely be tough to navigate. I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff opts to oversign by at least 1 in the fall assuming it’s someone they want.

Reactions: rocky200663
If JJ leaves this year like many have speculated then that could be one less spot...so just Pons and Fulk graduating. The unknowns are them who leaves for the NBA, I have a hard time seeing all 3 go, but never know, will definitely be tough to navigate. I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff opts to oversign by at least 1 in the fall assuming it’s someone they want.
The only one that goes pro. Imo, is Springer

On the recruiting front one newer 2021 name to keep in mind is shooting guard Kawocie Reaves from Macon, Ga. He’s a long shooting guard (6-foot-5) who Tennessee appears to be getting serious about. Currently ranked the No. 42 overall player in 2021. Tennessee was in to see him practice this week. The Vols learned today that they’ve signed a McDonald’s All-American for the second straight year with Jaden Springer earning that accolade. Fans in the Knoxville area will have a chance to see Springer in action on Saturday afternoon when IMG Academy takes on Knox Catholic at 2 p.m. Several people we’ve spoken to have indicated to us that Keon Johnson likely would have given the Vols two McDonald’s All-Americans in this class but the game has a rule that states players must play in half of their team’s games during the season to be eligible for selection. Johnson had his season cut short when he tore his meniscus back in December.
-VQ

Seems like the front court should be an area of focus. Uros/Pember/ORN doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence at this point

I think we definitely want one more, but Uros will get much better with experience, and Pember and ORN will get much better with extra strength and weight. Of course, the weight room and weight are up to each player, and I do not see them getting up to par until they take care of that aspect. Same goes for Gaines.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I think we definitely want one more, but Uros will get much better with experience, and Pember and ORN will get much better with extra strength and weight. Of course, the weight room and weight are up to each player, and I do not see them getting up to par until they take care of that aspect. Same goes for Gaines.
Hopefully they get better, but that shouldn’t be a recruiting strategy

Reactions: i2amavol
Hopefully they get better, but that shouldn’t be a recruiting strategy

I think player development is definitely considered in recruiting strategy...look at how Fulk and Pons are both playing?

It seems like the staff would like a grad transfer big, but as we saw last year pickings can be slim and if you miss there aren’t many options.

Reactions: VolGee4
I think player development is definitely considered in recruiting strategy...look at how Fulk and Pons are both playing?

It seems like the staff would like a grad transfer big, but as we saw last year pickings can be slim and if you miss there aren’t many options.
Gaines, Vescovi, and Bailey should all get better too but that’s not stopping the staff. Front court appears to be the biggest weakness looking forward

Gaines, Vescovi, and Bailey should all get better too but that’s not stopping the staff. Front court appears to be the biggest weakness looking forward

They haven’t been involved with a Top 20 big either, so maybe that has something to do with it...like I said they seem to prefer a graduate transfer big at this point which would make some sense.

VN Store

Back