Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Good grief dude.

We ain’t unc and recruiting a walk is one thing. They know they are going to have to pay but recruiting a scholarship player it’s a bad precedent to be able to say that kid might end up having to pay.

Apples to oranges. Just a terrible response by you. Sad really
clueless on the situation, shocker.

Can’t get academic money. Lottery only thing you can get. Nobody is going to volunteer to take 30k out of their pockets.
He can't get academic money from the university, but there may be private scholarships he qualifies for. Lottery money, Pell grant, etc.

He can't get academic money from the university, but there may be private scholarships he qualifies for. Lottery money, Pell grant, etc.

Lottery and Pell yes but I seriously doubt pell would be in play here.

Any private scholarships likely get flagged by the ncaa in this case imo

Actually, how are academic scholarships addressed by the NCAA? I would assume that Grant Williams and Josh Dobbs had earned some college money based on their school work.

Actually, how are academic scholarships addressed by the NCAA? I would assume that Grant Williams and Josh Dobbs had earned some college money based on their school work.

Football and basketball players can’t receive acedemic $ if they are recruited athletes. Other sports can

Wait... so a really smart walk on can't take anything earned academically even if they're not a good enough player to earn an athletic scholarship? Just one more reason that the NCAA is nothing but a bunch of hypocritical, money grubbing, sleaze balls.

Reactions: walkenvol
Wait... so a really smart walk on can't take anything earned academically even if they're not a good enough player to earn an athletic scholarship? Just one more reason that the NCAA is nothing but a bunch of hypocritical, money grubbing, sleaze balls.

They can if they aren’t “recruited”. No OV, no off campus visits and such

They can if they aren’t “recruited”. No OV, no off campus visits and such

That's a little better. But Josh and Grant should have been allowed to accept scholarship money if it's clearly for academic achievements. I can see why, for example, Travis Henry and other rocket surgeons should be looked at differently.

Watch, y'all are gonna be having all these arguments and he's not gonna come here, so it won't matter lol.

I really, really hope he does, though.

TIFWIW. But the trip to Tennessee is very likely in the next couple of weeks. Also Barnes and Schwartz have continued to stay in contact with him and he hears from them often.
Yup, they’re in the mix and still actively pursuing...don’t think it happens but they are trying.

So then do we credit Barnes for landing Top 20 Grant Williams? How about Top 50’s Jordan Bone & Admiral Schofield? Top 100’s Kyle Alexander, Jordan Bowden and Lamonte Turner?

That’s the issue with the bolded, you wanna say rerank because Bailey is misleading, but still want to then act like the early classes weren’t good enough? Can’t have it both ways.
Way to move the goalposts here. What are the chances this staff finds another Grant, Admiral, and Bone from the 3 star ranks? Extremely slim. Especially having them all on campus together. I don't think anybody would disagree. Which is why we seem to be fishing in bigger ponds now. For the program to take the next, recruiting is the most logical path to get there. I think that's what we have seen last year and 2020 thus far. I think you agree.

The fact is that those guys were all developed extremely well while on campus and everything came together at the right time. But when we signed those guys, they weren't heralded signings. That's a huge tribute to Barnes and staff and their ability to develop talent. To act like Barnes should get credit for a top 100 player in 2017 (which is you trying to prove a point that we are recruiting better players) when he transferred to us in 2019 isn't exactly accurate. That's like giving Cuonzo Martin a bunch of props for landing Jarnell Stokes. While Cuonzo did land Jarnell, that isn't exactly the whole story. Same with saying Barnes landed a top 100 recruit in Bailey. You know this, but you're dug in at this point. I honestly am not sure what we are arguing at this point as I think we agree on 90%, it's the other 10% which seem to be semantics that have us going back and forth.

Verbal Commits is reporting Tennessee offered Josaphat Bilau, a 6-10, 238-pound Forward from France who attend Spire Academy which I believe is in Ohio. He is a 2019 prospect. His video is awesome. I wonder if Bilau just qualified ?

VN Store

Back