Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
26,978
Likes
16,489
Wait... so a really smart walk on can't take anything earned academically even if they're not a good enough player to earn an athletic scholarship? Just one more reason that the NCAA is nothing but a bunch of hypocritical, money grubbing, sleaze balls.
 
Likes: walkenvol

BruinVol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2011
Messages
52,078
Likes
18,544
Wait... so a really smart walk on can't take anything earned academically even if they're not a good enough player to earn an athletic scholarship? Just one more reason that the NCAA is nothing but a bunch of hypocritical, money grubbing, sleaze balls.
They can if they aren’t “recruited”. No OV, no off campus visits and such
 

Vols8086

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2019
Messages
64
Likes
52
So then do we credit Barnes for landing Top 20 Grant Williams? How about Top 50’s Jordan Bone & Admiral Schofield? Top 100’s Kyle Alexander, Jordan Bowden and Lamonte Turner?

That’s the issue with the bolded, you wanna say rerank because Bailey is misleading, but still want to then act like the early classes weren’t good enough? Can’t have it both ways.
Way to move the goalposts here. What are the chances this staff finds another Grant, Admiral, and Bone from the 3 star ranks? Extremely slim. Especially having them all on campus together. I don't think anybody would disagree. Which is why we seem to be fishing in bigger ponds now. For the program to take the next, recruiting is the most logical path to get there. I think that's what we have seen last year and 2020 thus far. I think you agree.

The fact is that those guys were all developed extremely well while on campus and everything came together at the right time. But when we signed those guys, they weren't heralded signings. That's a huge tribute to Barnes and staff and their ability to develop talent. To act like Barnes should get credit for a top 100 player in 2017 (which is you trying to prove a point that we are recruiting better players) when he transferred to us in 2019 isn't exactly accurate. That's like giving Cuonzo Martin a bunch of props for landing Jarnell Stokes. While Cuonzo did land Jarnell, that isn't exactly the whole story. Same with saying Barnes landed a top 100 recruit in Bailey. You know this, but you're dug in at this point. I honestly am not sure what we are arguing at this point as I think we agree on 90%, it's the other 10% which seem to be semantics that have us going back and forth.
 

VN Store



Sponsors
 

Top