Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Spyre met the terms of the USC offer Phillips had received. At that point, they thought he would sign as he had said he wanted to be here if we could meet his requirements. I’ve heard we are not going to get into a bidding war if he tries to create that with Auburn. If he wants to come, and take the deal, the door is open. He spoke to someone on our staff today.
1650933066921.gif

Different positions. But I guess maybe that exhausted the NIL money?
I was being funny. In a funnier note, three people then repeated here as fact. The joke was that ISU fans said that UNC offered him 750k to come to UNC. Both sides swear there is no truth to it, but who knows. You can Google his name + Reddit and read the saga. Maybe they did offer him 750k, who knows. It has nothing to do with Love staying. I was just being a smart as since Loved decided to stay today.

Reactions: golfballs
I was being funny. In a funnier note, three people then repeated here as fact. The joke was that ISU fans said that UNC offered him 750k to come to UNC. Both sides swear there is no truth to it, but who knows. You can Google his name + Reddit and read the saga. Maybe they did offer him 750k, who knows. It has nothing to do with Love staying. I was just being a smart as since Loved decided to stay today.
This message board was/is in meltdown over it. I almost think BVS has nothing on some other fanbases…

His stats from this past season don't seem as gaudy as the list of 6 schools supposedly pursuing him.

If he hadn't gone bat-crap crazy from 3 against LSU in the NCAA tournament (7 for 11), he would be sitting at around 24% from behind the line. Not a great free throw shooter. And his Assist / Turnover ratio is 1.5 (Yuri Collins is at 1.93 and most agreed he turns it over way too much).

Having said that, if those 6 schools truly are interested, then I'm clearly missing something. I admittedly didn't watch much at all of Iowa State this past season to draw any conclusions.

Edit to say that he does get a ton of steals, up in KC range, so that's good.

A:T ratio isn't a great way to determine turnovers. Turnover percentage is. Collins was close to 30 percent, which is considered extremely high. Kennedy was under 20, which is considered good. Hunter's was 21.

Spyre met the terms of the USC offer Phillips had received. At that point, they thought he would sign as he had said he wanted to be here if we could meet his requirements. I’ve heard we are not going to get into a bidding war if he tries to create that with Auburn. If he wants to come, and take the deal, the door is open. He spoke to someone on our staff today.
All of this is seriously giving me a headache. I’ve about decided the easiest thing to do is wait till practice starts and see who shows up.

The Alston case made it only a matter of time before it happens. It’s inevitable. I think the NCAA is paralyzed on the matter. The power conferences need to break off and form their own association.

Football and Men’s bball should form a super league - semi pro league - spin off from universities - pay licensing-royalties to the universities. Then you could have a salary cap, draft, etc. Then Title IX wouldn’t be an issue.

Football and Men’s bball should form a super league - semi pro league - spin off from universities - pay licensing-royalties to the universities. Then you could have a salary cap, draft, etc. Then Title IX wouldn’t be an issue.
Completely agree. It’s a win/win

Reactions: patrick
Might as well do it. No sense in pretending that it isn’t pro sports any longer. Mercenaries going to the highest bidder. This is going to separate the rich from the poor even faster than it was before. Any resemblance to college athletics is sheer coincidence now.

Reactions: patrick
A:T ratio isn't a great way to determine turnovers. Turnover percentage is. Collins was close to 30 percent, which is considered extremely high. Kennedy was under 20, which is considered good. Hunter's was 21.
Yeah. I’ve dug a little more into it and I’m sold. Doubt we get him, but would certainly be a nice piece to add.

Reactions: VolArmy74
This is Spyre side story. Spyre did not want to match bid. End of story.

Want to know the cost of $8M for a QB?

Here it is folks.
Not wanting to doubt you, but it isn't like it was going to cost a fortune to lure him away from SLU. It's tough to believe we couldn't swing $300k next year for Collins because we are going to pay Nico $2 million next year. Again, I won't say absolutely that you're wrong, but the reasoning behind it seems questionable.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
That’s basically where this is headed. Notre Dame AD said we’d evolve to a situation where the team wears the colors and the name of the school, but the players are not students and don’t attend class.
Oh boy. Now these bastions of higher learning can be represented by the most illiterate Neanderthals that they can find and pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars and not have to worry about giving the illusion of the “student athlete”. Sounds like the NFL to me. Call it what it is. Just don’t call it college sports anymore. They can have a draft and trades and a waiver wire to pick up guys that get cut. Now we’re talking.

Oh boy. Now these bastions of higher learning can be represented by the most illiterate Neanderthals that they can find and pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars and not have to worry about giving the illusion of the “student athlete”. Sounds like the NFL to me. Call it what it is. Just don’t call it college sports anymore. They can have a draft and trades and a waiver wire to pick up guys that get cut. Now we’re talking.
It won’t be college sports. That’s the point. College sports as we know it are dead.

But it took him 3 years to get to the same scoring production as Hunter did in year 1 in a far better conference.
fyp. I think you're underselling Collins a bit. His experience would've been big as well. That's a really senior team. Which is good and bad since we are going to lose so much next year.

On one hand I get it. I’m not a fan of the current climate. On the other hand, coaches and their crazy salaries are why we’re here in the first place. They’ve benefitted as much as anyone. And now that players have as much freedom of movement as coaches do they’re going to quit?
It’s all about control. In the NBA, the players (and especially the stars) run the show, not the coaches. There are exceptions like Popovich but most just cycle from franchise to franchise. The stars can get a coach fired in a heartbeat. In college, the coaches controlled every aspect. The college players now have the NIL and the transfer portal after they get in the program if they don’t like something and the Wrights, Williams and Coach K’s won’t deal with it. And sad to say, Rick Barnes might be of that same mindset. Certainly an interesting transition that college sports is in.

It’s all about control. In the NBA, the players (and especially the stars) run the show, not the coaches. There are exceptions like Popovich but most just cycle from franchise to franchise. The stars can get a coach fired in a heartbeat. In college, the coaches controlled every aspect. The college players now have the NIL and the transfer portal after they get in the program if they don’t like something and the Wrights, Williams and Coach K’s won’t deal with it. And sad to say, Rick Barnes might be of that same mindset. Certainly an interesting transition that college sports is in.
Barnes could retire if he wanted. I don’t think he’s too bent out of shape about any of this. He’ll field a team and try to coach them up.

That’s basically where this is headed. Notre Dame AD said we’d evolve to a situation where the team wears the colors and the name of the school, but the players are not students and don’t attend class.

The seed planted by Cardale Jones now bears fruit in the hallowed halls of even the most prestigious private institutions.

Barnes could retire if he wanted. I don’t think he’s too bent out of shape about any of this. He’ll field a team and try to coach them up.
Hope so. I had hoped that he would coach another 3 years or so but now I don’t know. We’ll have to see how crazy this situation gets. Personally I think we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

If they aren’t going to be student-athletes anymore and will become non-students that are athletes, shouldn’t the eligibility rules go away? Fulkerson could have a 20-year career here instead of just 10.

VN Store

Back