Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

So what do you think the reaction will be if they get bounced first or second round. What was it with a covid excuse?
I'm not setting any expectations. Poster was talking about how fans react. Know our fans yet?
I’m sure a good chunk of fans will whine and bit*h if either of those things happen...for a team that I’m seeing a lot of 15-20 projections as of now it would seem “unfair” to say the requirement/expectation is S16.

I’m sure a good chunk of fans will whine and bit*h if either of those things happen...for a team that I’m seeing a lot of 15-20 projections as of now it would seem “unfair” to say the requirement/expectation is S16.
I don't think the majority of football fans understand the difficulty at having tournament success sadly. Now, I do want to see a lot more flow and modern era to our offense this year. I'll be disappointed if we run the same thing back. He needs to practice and harp on good shots in practice. We took WAY too many midrange J's last year. It worked beyond expectations in all honestly, but those need to turn into shots at the rim or 3's.

Reactions: Vol49er
I don't think the majority of football fans understand the difficulty at having tournament success sadly. Now, I do want to see a lot more flow and modern era to our offense this year. I'll be disappointed if we run the same thing back. He needs to practice and harp on good shots in practice. We took WAY too many midrange J's last year. It worked beyond expectations in all honestly, but those need to turn into shots at the rim or 3's.

An open midrange can be just as effective as attempts at the basket if the opponent has a dominating rim protector underneath.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I would think if I’m being compared to KD why not come play for the coach who had him in college 🤷🏾‍♂️ Gotta love Rick Barnes taking a big swing cuz I didn’t know Mikey williams has an offer from us as well

Reactions: Volfan1000
An open midrange can be just as effective as attempts at the basket if the opponent has a dominating rim protector underneath.
I'd like to have such a dominant rim protector and force 'em to make those midrange shots instead of layups/dunks. Hell, I wish Barnes could check his ego and be able to accept a couple of zone defenses in his toolkit. Hate being a one trick pony defensively.

I'd like to have such a dominant rim protector and force 'em to make those midrange shots instead of layups/dunks. Hell, I wish Barnes could check his ego and be able to accept a couple of zone defenses in his toolkit. Hate being a one trick pony defensively.

With a full off season maybe he’ll devote some time to a zone. I don’t think it’s needed to improve the defense, but it would enable putting Uros (and maybe a big newcomer or two) on the floor and hiding him so he’s not a defensive liability. It seems like more zone was used a few seasons ago compared to 2020-21.

Defenses are adjusting to defend the 3s and at the rim. That creates opportunities for open 12-15 footers.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Can't remember what thread people were talking about Kentucky and their roster turnover, but Mintz just officially declared for the draft. He can still return to UK though, but we'll see if he withdraws or not.

Edit: It was the transfer portal thread, but I'll keep this here too.

50% from 2 is same as 33% from 3. Last season we shot 52% from 2 and 33% from 3. If we were a better 3 shooting team, I would say cut out the mid-range jumpers. But we aren't.

If you have great rebounders then 33% from 3 is better. If you’re prone to not getting back on defense then 33% from 3 is worse.

50% from 2 and 33% from 3 being "the same" also assumes you take a certain amount of shots from each of those ranges.

If you take 30 threes in a game and make a third of those, that's 30 points. But if you only take 20 in a game, a third of those equals 18 points.

Tennessee averaged 37.3 points a game from their 2pt FGs last season (49.6% from 2) and averaged 19.8 points a game from their 3pt FGs (33.1% from 3). That's 57.1 points a game before you get to FTs.

Auburn shot 53.1% from 2 and 32.6% from 3 last season. They averaged 34.5 points from their 2pt FGs and 27.2 points a game from their 3pt FGs. That's 61.7 points a game before you get to FTs.

The difference? Auburn averaged almost 17.3 made 2s a game and just over 9 made 3s a game. Vols averaged nearly 19 made 2s a game and about 6.5 made threes a game.

Reactions: AngryButchJones

VN Store

Back