Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

The best I can remember, King was ranked in the 3 - 6 range nationally. In my opinion, he turned out to have top 1 or 2 talent. Just looking at the highlights, Banchero might deserve that kind of ranking as well.

You are not likely to convince very many who observed King that anyone could outdo him, until they get on the court and prove it. It is sort of like the arguments against Michael Jordan. It is not just talent, but it is the warrior mentality that they both possessed.

I really don’t know how Mears landed King. I was at UT at that time and it was a strange engagement. Ernie of course was probably the mover and shaker but King with Mears? Strange indeed.

The best I can remember, King was ranked in the 3 - 6 range nationally. In my opinion, he turned out to have top 1 or 2 talent. Just looking at the highlights, Banchero might deserve that kind of ranking as well.

You are not likely to convince very many who observed King that anyone could outdo him, until they get on the court and prove it. It is sort of like the arguments against Michael Jordan. It is not just talent, but it is the warrior mentality that they both possessed.

Excellent post! I agree with everything you said. I've seen articles saying King is a top 25 player all-time in the NBA. IF Banchero is anywhere near that level then all I can say is wow. IIRC King led the SEC in scoring and rebounding as a FR with something like 25 and 12.

Reactions: cardvolfan
King was the best basketball player I have seen in person. If he had played another year, I think he would hold all the scoring records, including percentage from the field. I might have been be close to the highest percentage from the line.

I really don’t know how Mears landed King. I was at UT at that time and it was a strange engagement. Ernie of course was probably the mover and shaker but King with Mears? Strange indeed.
Stu Aberdeen recruited King. I have seen a couple of photos of King and Aberdeen and it was comical to see that Aberdeen, who was very short, measured up to about King's waist. Stu may ave been the best basketball recruiter we have ever had at Tennessee.

Stu Aberdeen recruited King. I have seen a couple of photos of King and Aberdeen and it was comical to see that Aberdeen, who was very short, measured up to about King's waist. Stu may ave been the best basketball recruiter we have ever had at Tennessee.
Yes, I would agree. Stu was a fiery little fellow. It was a hoot to watch him guard Tom Boerwinkle with a broom.

If Aberdeen had not had the Marshall job, I think he would have been the head coach instead of Wettig when Mears had to step down.

Evans Seven: Who will sign top early classes in each league?

The Early Signing Period is roughly two months away, so today we look at the 2021 team rankings in each conference and determine the chances of the current top team to remain in that spot.

SEC: Ole Miss
Chances of remaining in the top spot: 5%

Ole Miss, that is correct, is the leader for the top class in the SEC. There is plenty of work to be done by practically all league members and that includes Kentucky, which will not sit idle in its five-star hunt much longer. Tennessee may have missed on Paolo Banchero but it is about to make a major move in the coming weeks thanks to its strong positioning for Ryan Mutombo and Jahmai Mashack.

How many players can we sign this year?

If we could pull Chandler, Mutombo, and Smith, that would be one heck of a class.

How many players can we sign this year?

If we could pull Chandler, Mutombo, and Smith, that would be one heck of a class.

Technically, if all things hold constant we can only sign three players. However, there are a number of variables that can (and likely will) change that as we do not know if Johnson, Springer, or James will leave for the NBA.

The class will be anywhere from 3-6 people.

I like to predict things. So, I will go with 5 as the final number, with 4 being the second most likely number. I wouldn't be surprised if we only have 3 by the end of the year though.

Chandler, Mashack, and Mutombo are likely. Jabari Smith is maybe a toss-up, and I think we would be the leader for Brandon Huntley-Hatfield if he is a take (that is wierd to type) and if he is a '21 enrollee.

After that, I don't have a clue. If we get the first 3, then one of the next 2, I guess we would still take one more big, but there is no way to know what our needs would be after that. I'm guessing any 5th spot would be a transfer.

I like Tobias but to lift him to these heights........................

Being old but still having excellent memory, (thank the Lord) the King & Grunfeld days to me were the most exciting ever.

For you younger guys, if you have never seen this YouTube video with the GREAT John Ward announcing, do yourself a favor and watch it; 2-15-75 Tennessee vs Kentucky. To me one of the most exciting games in TN history. I watch it few times every year.

Then watch this YouTube video and tell me Tobias was as good as Bernard King; Bernard King Tennessee Highlights........not even close.

Being old but still having excellent memory, (thank the Lord) the King & Grunfeld days to me were the most exciting ever.

For you younger guys, if you have never seen this YouTube video with the GREAT John Ward announcing, do yourself a favor and watch it; 2-15-75 Tennessee vs Kentucky. To me one of the most exciting games in TN history. I watch it few times every year.

Then watch this YouTube video and tell me Tobias was as good as Bernard King; Bernard King Tennessee Highlights........not even close.

VN Store

Back