Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Grant williams guarded the 4 and 5 many times. There were a lot of times over the three years that Admiral played the 4 with Williams playing the 5.

I believe that's accurate. I recall guard heavy lineups with Bone, Turner, Bowden, Daniel, and Darrington which bumped guys down. Especially when Kyle was in foul trouble.

I believe that's accurate. I recall guard heavy lineups with Bone, Turner, Bowden, Daniel, and Darrington which bumped guys down. Especially when Kyle was in foul trouble.

And until that last year Alexander had a hard time staying in the floor in Crunch time. He often times started but didn’t finish and it wasn’t foul issues most of time either

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
Haven't seen us officially mentioned with anyone publicly except Cisse and Anosike. Obviously, Cardwell could still be an option. But we'll probably see Tennessee pop up more if we miss on EJ.
Seems like once again Barnes and staff had a plan...very possible they knew about Anosike months ago, they weren’t pursuing any other guys that kept coming available and had backed off Cardwell, and the day after JJ announced Anosike sets a decision date.

I wonder what Barnes plans are for Walker. Anosike potentially could hurt his minutes and development sort of like how Pons was hurt by AD and GW both playing most of the minutes at the 4.

I wonder what Barnes plans are for Walker. Anosike potentially could hurt his minutes and development sort of like how Pons was hurt by AD and GW both playing most of the minutes at the 4.
Probably play walker at the 3. Watching his film and he could probably play anywhere from the 2-5

Probably play walker at the 3. Watching his film and he could probably play anywhere from the 2-5
Not sure he could guard a lot of 2s. Definitely more of a forward than a guard, though he is pretty versatile, which seems to be Barnes bread and butter. He has a much clearer path to playing time at the 4 than anywhere else, even if we add Anosike. It would seem like minutes are likely to be split among Pons, Fulk, Anosike, and Walker. Pember hopefully gets a RS, and Plavsic and ON get the scraps unless they show significant progress in the toughness and skill development department. The 1-3 is just flush with talent (JJJ, Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, K. Johnson, Gaines), so I don't see a reason to play Walker out of position at the 2, or even the 3, though the latter is much more likely than the former, IMO.

It is amazing how much Walker is the forgotten man. I must admit that I left him out of my calculation of team needs.

Overall, Tennessee is a pretty tall team. I just feel we could use more braun and height at the 5 spot. Of course, we could simply gain some of that over the off-season. Uros simply needs to play better, so he can get more minutes. He doesn’t help if he is sitting on the bench.

Not sure he could guard a lot of 2s. Definitely more of a forward than a guard, though he is pretty versatile, which seems to be Barnes bread and butter. He has a much clearer path to playing time at the 4 than anywhere else, even if we add Anosike. It would seem like minutes are likely to be split among Pons, Fulk, Anosike, and Walker. Pember hopefully gets a RS, and Plavsic and ON get the scraps unless they show significant progress in the toughness and skill development department. The 1-3 is just flush with talent (JJJ, Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, K. Johnson, Gaines), so I don't see a reason to play Walker out of position at the 2, or even the 3, though the latter is much more likely than the former, IMO.
yeah, I’m not sure about defending 2-5 but I feel like he has the offensive tools to play.

It is amazing how much Walker is the forgotten man. I must admit that I left him out of my calculation of team needs.

Overall, Tennessee is a pretty tall team. I just feel we could use more braun and height at the 5 spot. Of course, we could simply gain some of that over the off-season. Uros simply needs to play better, so he can get more minutes. He doesn’t help if he is sitting on the bench.
Strowman?

I completely agree that he's more of a forward. For a SF, his handle would probably be classified as average, but as a PF, his handle is above-average to good. I haven't seen him show much of a post game at all, and often times he's hanging around the perimeter. He looks like he can be a pretty good outside shooter, and he can attack off the dribble as well, but is somewhat limited by his handle. Certainly a better ball handler than Pons was last year though. He looks to be very aggressive in attacking the offensive glass.

I'd say he can play the 3, and might even primarily play that, but he looks like he be a stretch 4. I'd say he'd be a good fit with Pons at least on offense as Pons is more of a 4 on offense, but could guard 3s on defense. Pretty much the inverse with Walker. He's not super athletic, but is certainly above average there. Probably a little more athletic than Admiral was (who played a lot of 3 in college), and watching him reminds me of Darius Bazley for OKC. As far as our depth at 1-3 positions, that remains to be seen. 1-2 I feel really good about depth wise. 3 I guess will mainly be manned by JJJ, but I'd imagine Gaines might be in line for a RS year. Walker would seemingly get those backup 3 minutes if that is the case. Having Anosike and Pons on the court at the same time looks like it might cause spacing issues, unless they are surrounded by 3 guards. Anosike will most likely play some small ball 5 for us at times.

Hopefully another year of practice and workouts can help him become more skilled and a little more agile. Barnes has worked some wonders over the years, see Fulky and Pons this year.

Reactions: i2amavol
I completely agree that he's more of a forward. For a SF, his handle would probably be classified as average, but as a PF, his handle is above-average to good. I haven't seen him show much of a post game at all, and often times he's hanging around the perimeter. He looks like he can be a pretty good outside shooter, and he can attack off the dribble as well, but is somewhat limited by his handle. Certainly a better ball handler than Pons was last year though. He looks to be very aggressive in attacking the offensive glass.

I'd say he can play the 3, and might even primarily play that, but he looks like he be a stretch 4. I'd say he'd be a good fit with Pons at least on offense as Pons is more of a 4 on offense, but could guard 3s on defense. Pretty much the inverse with Walker. He's not super athletic, but is certainly above average there. Probably a little more athletic than Admiral was (who played a lot of 3 in college), and watching him reminds me of Darius Bazley for OKC. As far as our depth at 1-3 positions, that remains to be seen. 1-2 I feel really good about depth wise. 3 I guess will mainly be manned by JJJ, but I'd imagine Gaines might be in line for a RS year. Walker would seemingly get those backup 3 minutes if that is the case. Having Anosike and Pons on the court at the same time looks like it might cause spacing issues, unless they are surrounded by 3 guards. Anosike will most likely play some small ball 5 for us at times.
Wait a minute - Walker’s not “super athletic” but “probably a little more athletic than Admiral”? I definitely thought Admiral was “super athletic” being able to move and guard on the perimeter while toting around all that muscle mass. I don’t know that I even saw Walker dunk in his highlights? The way he moved makes me think he’s got a ways to go to catch up with Admiral in the athletic department. Walker’s game reminds me more of the old dude at the Y who drops 25 on the young guys.

Wait a minute - Walker’s not “super athletic” but “probably a little more athletic than Admiral”? I definitely thought Admiral was “super athletic” being able to move and guard on the perimeter while toting around all that muscle mass. I don’t know that I even saw Walker dunk in his highlights? The way he moved makes me think he’s got a ways to go to catch up with Admiral in the athletic department. Walker’s game reminds me more of the old dude at the Y who drops 25 on the young guys.
I would have agreed with u before I saw the Hargrave highlights. I think Walker looks more like a 3 after watching last year's highlights. A lot of drives to the basket and more 3s than I've seen in past highlights. He dunked a lot in those Hargrave highlights, too. Usually does it real quick and 2 handed, nothing spectacular, just get the ball in the basket as quickly as possible and protecting the ball with 2 hands and high elbows

Admiral is not super athletic/ agile. Good athlete by college standards, average to below average by NBA standards. Walker's senior highlights were much better than his other highlights. Admiral was a unique athlete that he could move well at all despite being built like a defensive lineman, but he's pretty limited in quickness. You can just look at his combine numbers. He's not bad by any means, but not an an incredible athlete.

I believe Walker is more athletic, or at least has more room to grow given his body type. As far as playing the 3,I believe he can and will, but college ball continues to get smaller/quicker at that position.

Anosike would be a very good pickup, if we land him. I don't anticipate him being a star-player by any means. Rarely are transfers ever that level of production. But he adds experienced depth at a critical position, and would allow Pember/ORN to hopefully redshirt barring any injuries.

Damn, it's hard not to get excited about next year even after this rough season. Pons and Fulkerson have come a LONG way and I'm excited to see the leaps they each take with another year under their belt. Add in the absolutely ridiculous depth from the 1-3 positions and this team should, IMO, be Top 5 at some point next year.

In terms of bigs I thinks it’s going to be a good pickup. We need someone in there to bang around and attack the glass. He seems like an energy guy as well. Will fit in perfect if we land him

Reactions: Jack Burton

VN Store

Back