Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Literally your own words, why make this comment if you knows it BS?
Maybe you should ask for clarification.
I’m speaking to who they draw as an opponent. They are always going to draw a one or two seed as an opponent. I was asked how many teams get to the sweet 16. It’s hard to get to the sweet 16 when you only get one team in and you always draw a top eight team.

I doubt that he's still right. Sam Bowie was just slightly larger and never overcame his medical issues. He'll get another year to recover. Hopefully the NCAA will give him a 6th year at Delaware State if he wants it.
Fair enough, but it’s obvious something else was going on.

Burns wouldn't be starting here, know how I know that? Because he's not starting at a lesser school in a weaker league. In fact, he's not even averaging 20 minutes.

He's listed now 20+ pounds heavier than he was while here as well...

Some kid's just don't take the hard coaching that Barnes gives out, is what it is. Had he bought in and stuck it out though he would have been developed into a better player for it. It's disappointing because he was (until JJJ) our highest rated recruit, maybe the reclassifying wasn't the right move there. Who knows if he had half the drive as Pons or Admiral he'd be a stud right now, even if not at UT.

Burns has been pretty solid for Winthrop there’s no denying that. Doesn’t mean he would have been for us this season. Things aren’t black and white. It’s not like he’s an elite talent who you could drop into any situation and succeed. Given the issues he supposedly had its probably better for both sides in the long run.

SMH
you literally just said a player starting is hardly starting. Umkay.

You said Plavsic has been starting and that Burns would easily start over him. Completely negating the fact that if James was healthy it'd be Fulk at the 5 and Pons at the 4 like it has been for the other 20 games played this season.

My point was Burns wouldn't start over Fulkerson or Pons, and you agreed to that point. The rest is just you trying to change the topic because your first reply was stupid and you got called out for it and then later AGREED that Burns wouldn't be starting over Pons.

You said Plavsic has been starting and that Burns would easily start over him. Completely negating the fact that if James was healthy it'd be Fulk at the 5 and Pons at the 4 like it has been for the other 20 games played this season.

My point was Burns wouldn't start over Fulkerson or Pons, and you agreed to that point. The rest is just you trying to change the topic because your first reply was stupid and you got called out for it and then later AGREED that Burns wouldn't be starting over Pons.
I’m not negating that.
I’m still trying to understand how agreeing with you is stupid. But, I agree!!

Burns worked out like crazy. I don’t understand how people keep knocking the kid. He completely transformed his body in the one year he was here. He’s averaging 13 points and 60% FG playing 18 minutes at Winthrop. There is no question he’d be starting Opposite Fulk and would have been worth at least 2-3 wins. Burns will likely be playing in the NCAA this year as Winthrop is undefeated in their conference and a favorite to win the tourney.

I’m not negating that.
I’m still trying to understand how agreeing with you is stupid. But, I agree!!

That's the stupid part you said. The fact you turned around and then agreed that Burns wouldn't start over Pons....beautiful 👌😘😍💖

Reactions: lastlap
Burns is playing on ESPNU, right now. Start of the 2nd half, he is scored on immediately as he sluffs off a shooter on the perimeter. Next possession, he misses a 15 ft jumper from the FT line. 45 seconds into the half and he is visibly struggling with his conditioning (slowly jogging up the floor, very heavy breathing, etc.) leading to a lazy foul committed on the defensive end, and he has to be subbed out 1 minute into the half. He looks to be in terrible shape and can't stay on the floor. Your greatest ability in many avenues of life is availability. Doesn't look we are missing much other than his size and 5 fouls.

Burns update: 2nd stint, he played much better. Had a nice turnaround jumper, and a possession or two later, had a really nice pass that led to an and-1. Lasted a little longer on the floor, maybe 3 minutes before being bailed out by a TO, though he was dragging. His defense is inconsistent. He flashes one minute, then has a real brain fart the next. Seems to be a more advanced offensive player, at this point. If he ever got his body and conditioning under control, then he could be a nice player. Moves very well for as big as he is.

Pat Kelsey has led Winthrop to a 10 game win streak and a possible NCAA Tournament berth with 16 wins and counting.

He could be in line for a job at Wake Forest if Manning is fired or some other big school.

Look for Tennessee to have several unofficial visitors on Saturday, but you’ll need to check back on the message board this afternoon for a good list. Right now there are too many ‘maybes’ for us to put out a solid rundown of who’s expected in town. One name that is a likely visitor is Knox Catholic point guard B.J. Edwards, a prospect that Tennessee has turned the heat up on in the last six weeks. Tennessee was at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy on Wednesday afternoon scouting what’s always a talented team. There’s no one there that we’d call a ‘for-sure’ target as of yet but Tennessee is evaluating several of the younger players on the roster.
-VQ

Unofficial visitors for UK game
No big time 2021 guys but several underclassmen from the local area who Tennessee is taken a hard look at:

2022 big man Braden Illic from Morristown East, 6-10 guy who the Vols have some interest in

Felix Okpara, 2022 from Hamilton Heights
Drew Williams 2021 from Hamilton Heights

Quante Barry, 2022 from Bradley Central
BJ Edwards, 2022, from Knox Catholic
Handje Tamba, 2022, from Knox Catholic
-VQ

Last edited:
Maybe I should’ve said fringe...he’s currently ranked Top 50 so not that far off, hard to project I suppose.
Gotcha. I agree, it's tough to project, especially for a PG who isn't likely to grow much more. I do like him as a player, though, and him being a Knoxville kid should only help, I would hope.

VN Store

Back