Tennessee to the triple option!

Would be the true death of our program
No it wouldn't...Oklahoma and Alabama and Texas and Nebraska all won national titles using the triple option or wishbone...Alabama won like 4 or 5 of them using it...If it is run right it is almost unstoppable...Not quite as a exciting as seeing a 5 wide set but it gets the job done...Top RB's would flock to UT to play in it because they would be getting the ball all the time or at least a good amount of the time...I personally love that offense as I am old school...I really like it more than the crap offense we are trying to run now for sure...but to each their own.

It worked pretty well for Nebraska in the 90's. They sure took some of UT's most talented teams to the woodshed running that "gimmicky high school offense" that can't attract recruits.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
I'm not sure why some programs haven't tried the Nebraska version.

Last edited:
I would also add that the SEC front office might not approve of all the cut blocking. The zebras would make us the most penalized team in conference year in and year out.

Especially if it ever beat Bama. Good lord, Saban would go on the record that it's dangerous and get the penalties ramped up.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I would also add that the SEC front office might not approve of all the cut blocking. The zebras would make us the most penalized team in conference year in and year out.

Also anyone cut blocking a Bammer would be indefinitely suspended by the league automatically. They've already shown you don't even have to contact with the helmet to be tossed for targeting if say, you're the leagues best linebacker and you play Bama next.

Reactions: dduncan4163 and tbh
IT is a beautiful thing when it is rolling.
And did you notice when Nebraska got away from using it they fell on hard times?...Makes you wonder...Oh and if you will all remember, Georgia Southern beat FLORIDA in the swamp using the triple option.

Reactions: tnvols72
Other places and other times, sure. Here ...

giphy.gif

We played them last year, Shoop's first game, had all year to prepare...535 yards rushing, 655 yards total offense. We won by 1 point, 42-41, then went 0-8 in the SEC for the first time in school history.

This past season in 7 losses, we averaged 17 points per game.

I'm not in any position to discount an offensive system with what we put out on the field this year. Besides, almost every college offense has some triple option concepts, what people don't like about GT's offense is that it's not balanced.

We played them last year, Shoop's first game, had all year to prepare...535 yards rushing, 655 yards total offense. We won by 1 point, 42-41, then went 0-8 in the SEC for the first time in school history.

This past season in 7 losses, we averaged 17 points per game.

I'm not in any position to discount an offensive system with what we put out on the field this year. Besides, almost every college offense has some triple option concepts, what people don't like about GT's offense is that it's not balanced.

And it doean't work against a big athletic defense.

It worked pretty well for Nebraska in the 90's. They sure took some of UT's most talented teams to the woodshed running that "gimmicky high school offense" that can't attract recruits.
We don't have easy access to corn fed Nebraska bros, though.

A journo trying our coaches what is WISE for a hire. You can't make this stuff up.

VN Store

Back