Tennessee the biggest loser in the transfer portal

Agreed, I didn't want to see HT, WM, or EG leave as well as the three who were let out of the LOI. But, the transfer period isn't over yet. Isn't that right? What is the cut off date for players to transfer and be eligible for fall of 2021?
Morris and Gray have already enrolled at other schools, they won't be back. Henry T is still around but has yet to find a landing spot

It did seem that we had an abnormally high number of transfers, especially starters. We certainly are not the only school who changed coaches. I like to think it's because they were involved in the shenanigans and maybe were told to hit the bricks as part of our NCAA penance.

Reactions: Border Vol
A bunch of walk-ons that can be developed. I do have faith that’s exactly what Heupel is planning and can do it.
What kind of skills are you expecting walkons to have? Take a fast "normal" person and he runs about a 4.9 40. Maybe after 3 years in a strength and conditioning program he's got it down to 4.7, and maybe by that time he's able to play football at an elite level.

If we get 100 walk-ons to the team, there will be maybe 1 that will have the skill level to start in the SEC even after full time training from a competent staff. If we're going to find sleepers, it's way more likely we're going to find them in community colleges and minor league baseball. And we're almost sure not to have any walk-ons getting trained up in 8 months.

Reactions: LittleVol
giphy.gif

Not sure how any rational person can say we haven't been hurt by the portal losses.

We haven't been. I mean, c'mon, it's just both our starting MLBs, our starting LT and his backup, our starting running back and backup, our starting DE, and our highest ranked (& In-state) recruit from last year.

You make it sound like that's a big deal or something.

It sure didn't go that way at UCF...... They regressed each one of the 3 years he was there, and he probably only had those first 2 years success there because of Scott Frosts recruits.
I think they had 11 or 12 players that didn’t play in 2020. Look at the competitive game against every team that played. All of those games were close to the end. Their offense put up hefty numbers in 2020.

Reactions: Border Vol
Well, since the website is Bamahammer.com, it should be obvious.

I didn't see anything not factual in the article. I don't think it speculated on how these players will do in their new schools. We have a lot of players in the portal. Most could see this coming. It may be short-term painful but probably good long-term.

Time will tell on some players future whether they stay or go.
I posted that to see what the reactions would be. I still don’t think it will hurt us as much as this guy thinks. I give Heupel and crew a chance to develop these players, and play hard for him.

Most of these kids were huge Big Mac fans and Donde closed the Knoxville McDonalds. Let OU and other schools worry about players that received improper benefits.
They are taking a risk that if they received improper benefits, then they know these players will be suspended for a few games. Those players that took the money will have to pay it back as well.

What part do you disagree with?
Gitmo(SR) Shrout Hill(SR). QB
Chandler(SR)Grey (Will be missed) RB
Allen Lowe Pope (returned) TE
Johnson (SR)Montgomery (walk-on) WR
Morris Johnson (SR)(will be missed) Abercrombie Oline
Williams Rinke (Walk-on) DLine
To’o To’o (expected to stay til spring) Crouch (expected to stay through spring) Johnson (SR) Peterson (bust) Bennet (kicked off team) Shah (Walk-on) Gaddy (Walk-on) LB
Lawerence (released from LOI) Buchanan (medical) Shamburger (returned) Edwards (Walk-on) (Returned) DB
Cimiglia (SR) Doyle ST

3 returning
7 using their extra year elsewhere
5 walk-ons
So 15 of group not really a factor. The medical guy has disorder that narrowed his spine and was advised to never play again (was a freshman starter solid player) 5 are expected to stay at least through spring and are currently enrolled taking classes. 21 now accounted for, 1 is a certified bust and one really needed a change of scenery (Morris). 2-3 guys will be missed that left of their own accord. And Tennessee added 2 guys via the portal.

this was my response in another thread on this topic on another board.

What kind of skills are you expecting walkons to have? Take a fast "normal" person and he runs about a 4.9 40. Maybe after 3 years in a strength and conditioning program he's got it down to 4.7, and maybe by that time he's able to play football at an elite level.

If we get 100 walk-ons to the team, there will be maybe 1 that will have the skill level to start in the SEC even after full time training from a competent staff. If we're going to find sleepers, it's way more likely we're going to find them in community colleges and minor league baseball. And we're almost sure not to have any walk-ons getting trained up in 8 months.
If any walk-ons do come on, then I’m looking for development of those that can block, tackle, and just play hard for our coach. I’ll take a few players with heart, then some with skill. If we do take some to fill spots from community colleges, then I think we will see some that will develop that can play in the sec. Some can be developed that can outmatch others in the sec with heart, and playing hard and tough. You can win a lot of games with development and heart.

If any walk-ons do come on, then I’m looking for development of those that can block, tackle, and just play hard for our coach. I’ll take a few players with heart, then some with skill. If we do take some to fill spots from community colleges, then I think we will see some that will develop that can play in the sec. Some can be developed that can outmatch others in the sec with heart, and playing hard and tough. You can win a lot of games with development and heart.
The actual physical danger faced by any of our present players notwithstanding, a player who is all heart will be diving at air or pulverized if he's not also sufficiently strong or fast. If they've got enough heart to put their bodies on the line, they've got enough to play the game.

That's right, we only lost the kind of talent that goes to tiny schools like *checks notes* Oklahoma.

People who don't think we're going to struggle are going to be in for a rude surprise. We played like we did last year despite having standout talent that is recognized by our competitors. We could very well do better this fall than last year but it won't be because the team has more talent.
Oklahoma did seem to get the better players who transferred from Tennessee. However, they were some of the players who did not perform as many of us expected while they were at Tennessee. Did they make a mistake? We will not really know until next December. Fact is, it is what it is. We have no control over transfers in the future.

Some possible good news for us related to overall team quality AFTER next year.

Some of our competitors may in fact go up from 85 to 110 and 105 to up to 130 for next year only, but you can only dress 85 and carry 70.

What is going to be interesting to follow is how do the rich deal with the following year when ALL their new 21' signees (up to 25) two classes of FR (up to 50) and SO (25) and JR class (25) not counting redshirts have to fit into the 85 limit along with adding the 22' initial counters. Paring down from 125 to 85 over 5 years all of the sudden goes to 150+ to 85. Portal may be full next year for sure as those with minimum losses this year will be having to cut quality players loose to regain balance. Those with lower headcounts might get some real bargains in the signing class and the portal with the richer not having as much room to add and having to reduce existing headcount. Especially if the ONE TIME rule passes. It is possible for some teams to technically have nearly zero room for initial counters unless they allow for an extension of not counting ALL of this years classes as seniors and not just this years seniors. Does not seem likely. Could aide in closing the gap in our 2nd year of new staff for sure. Having a smaller signing class and more portal losses could give us more shots at meeting the 85 and 125 limits while getting better talent due to reduced room in those areas by the rich teams. The 25 and 85 numbers could be real problems for lots of teams next year. Of course some quality guys will not be pushed out, looking for playing time on their own.

Could be a year of healing for teams with our numbers and needs.

Reactions: Vol in Tears
We have lost bodies but not a lot of quality.

I'm sorry, that's hard to agree with. We have lost starters (Toots, Gray, Cimaglia, Palmer, Johnson), important depth (Shrout, Chandler) and upside (Crouch, Lawrence, Morris). Are they replaceable? Sure. But don't kid yourself, it would be better to already have these guys in the fold, playing spring ball and learning the new systems.

Last edited:
It is what it is. When life gives you grapes, make some wine. Always believe that if players want to go somewhere else, let them go. These just gives CJH more spots to fill with his players. I hope the new staff has enough experience with the "portal process" and all the rest of the rules and regulations, that they can work the system better than our opponents.

Morris and Gray have already enrolled at other schools, they won't be back. Henry T is still around but has yet to find a landing spot

Yes, I know this. That is why I said I didn't want to see any of the three leave. Maybe CTB and CBJM can keep HT on the team.

Yes, I know this. That is why I said I didn't want to see any of the three leave. Maybe CTB and CBJM can keep HT on the team.
Sorry, I read that as you were asking if they could come back. I'm glad they've moved on and hope they're happy. I know Morris was part of the entitled culture, he wasn't getting the attention he got during recruiting and that's a tough pill to swallow for some guys.

Reactions: 89 VOLS grad
Oklahoma did seem to get the better players who transferred from Tennessee. However, they were some of the players who did not perform as many of us expected while they were at Tennessee. Did they make a mistake? We will not really know until next December. Fact is, it is what it is. We have no control over transfers in the future.
They're players who are significantly faster, stronger, and more talented than the ones remaining here. The fact that they're going to Oklahoma, who runs a very similar offense, suggests that they would be compatible with Heupel's plans. Whether they could stay even if they wanted to, given the investigation, they are going to be missed.

VN Store

Back