Tennessee the biggest loser in the transfer portal

Couple of things I noticed in the article that, as far as I know, are incorrect. Henry T hasn't transferred as of yet, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't Big Cat sign with Oklahoma? This reporter isn't accurate with his hack job of reporting.

Reactions: Border Vol
I think we have a coach and a staff that’s is going to be able to develop a lot better than we think. Heupel’s system will be able to do that. He went out and got coaches to fit his system, and they all seem to be on the same page together. How long has it been since we’ve had continuity? I’m ready to see some spring practices to tell us which way we will be going.

It sure didn't go that way at UCF...... They regressed each one of the 3 years he was there, and he probably only had those first 2 years success there because of Scott Frosts recruits.

Yeah well my "reality" says that those best players got us to 3-7 last season. I'm not crying over it. Besides, the portal opens both ways. We will replace those guys with players that Huepel wants and we'll be better for it.

Those "best players" played for a toxic, cheating, micromanaging DC that was masquerading as a head coach. I will trust the evaluations of national title/playoff coaches (UNC, A&M, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma).

We lost a lot of players that would have been very helpful in Heupel navigate the first couple of years as SEC HC. We might add some players in the future but as of right now, our talent level has been thoroughly damaged...

In regards to the transfer portal, there are players Tennessee will definitely miss and there are players we won't miss. I am interested in hearing the views of VolNation as to what players of the 20 who have transferred we will miss and what players of the 5 who are still in the portal we will miss if they choose to continue in transferring.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
We lost a lot of players, but I think we have a few waiting in the wings, Memphis trio, slaughter, small at tail back, and others. We want players who want to be here.

Reactions: Vol in Tears
Three thoughts:

1. Who is actually surprised? Fulmer was asleep at the wheel (again) collecting paychecks, workin' like heck, and letting a bammer of questionable ethics run roughshod over the program. On top of that, JP could not lead or coach a lick. As a result, we are in NCAA hot water (how hot remains to be seen) and have a program in shambles. But, hey, Fulmer collected another 4-5MM, so all is good from his view. A good player is going to run screaming from a mess like that. Frankly, I'm surprised so many solid players have stayed, given the free transfer rule this year.

2. The fanbase has, as usual, now anointed Heupel as a superb leader and developer of players and men. he may very well be all that, but the certainty of some fans kills me. We have reached the stage where dissent is not tolerated, and all must recognize Heupel, White, and the staff as the unbridled geniuses they are. Again, who knows? Too early to know. But 'trusting in coach' isn't a path many are likely to follow, especially at this point.

3. We are in for some lean, lean years, even if Heupel is a solid hire. The question will be progress and development. A 5-7, 6-6 season can look very differnt depending on how you get there. No one reasonably expects immediate, or even medium term success. But we need to see players lining up correctly, taking good angles, adjustments to adjustments, and an overall improvement season to season.

We shall see.

Three thoughts:

1. Who is actually surprised? Fulmer was asleep at the wheel (again) collecting paychecks, workin' like heck, and letting a bammer of questionable ethics run roughshod over the program. On top of that, JP could not lead or coach a lick. As a result, we are in NCAA hot water (how hot remains to be seen) and have a program in shambles. But, hey, Fulmer collected another 4-5MM, so all is good from his view. A good player is going to run screaming from a mess like that. Frankly, I'm surprised so many solid players have stayed, given the free transfer rule this year.

2. The fanbase has, as usual, now anointed Heupel as a superb leader and developer of players and men. he may very well be all that, but the certainty of some fans kills me. We have reached the stage where dissent is not tolerated, and all must recognize Heupel, White, and the staff as the unbridled geniuses they are. Again, who knows? Too early to know. But 'trusting in coach' isn't a path many are likely to follow, especially at this point.

3. We are in for some lean, lean years, even if Heupel is a solid hire. The question will be progress and development. A 5-7, 6-6 season can look very differnt depending on how you get there. No one reasonably expects immediate, or even medium term success. But we need to see players lining up correctly, taking good angles, adjustments to adjustments, and an overall improvement season to season.

We shall see.

I totally agree on thought #3. In game adjustments, players not consistently screwing up and player development are all things we haven't seen for quite a few years at Tennessee. How many players have left Tennessee at a higher skill level than when they arrived. For some players, their freshman year or first year playing has been their best. We need to develop the players we get and teach them how to play the game.

Who did we lose that was a program changer? These are players off of a 3-7 football team

The same players were also 8-5 and Gator Bowl winners the previous year.

Three Vols make Freshman All-SECSECSports

Offensive linemen Darnell Wright and Wanya Morris along with linebacker Henry To’o To’o all made the All-SEC freshman team for 2019. The Tennessee Vols football team had the third most players of anybody in the conference, behind only the Alabama Crimson Tide and Texas A&M Aggies.

Revisionist history is a hell of a thing. Studs when they sign here, and play here. Were always bums upon departure.

We lost some who aren't that good yes.

But a lot of ignorance to say we haven't lost a lot. We are one of the biggest losers in the xfer portal so far which is understandable.

No debate. Hope it turns around soon.

Reactions: TGVol and Doberman
Alabama Football: Transfer Portal biggest winners and one huge loser
Is this a Bama writer? Must be. Ba humbug! I think it won’t hurt us like he thinks. I know it’s sad that a lot has transferred, but we’ve to be patient and let Heupel and the coaches work.

Well, since the website is Bamahammer.com, it should be obvious.

I didn't see anything not factual in the article. I don't think it speculated on how these players will do in their new schools. We have a lot of players in the portal. Most could see this coming. It may be short-term painful but probably good long-term.

Time will tell on some players future whether they stay or go.

Reactions: Doberman
Well, since the website is Bamahammer.com, it should be obvious.

I didn't see anything not factual in the article. I don't think it speculated on how these players will do in their new schools. We have a lot of players in the portal. Most could see this coming. It may be short-term painful but probably good long-term.

Time will tell on some players future whether they stay or go.
To hell with Alabama and who gives a damn about anything Bammers choose to say about Tennessee.

Offensive linemen Darnell Wright and Wanya Morris along with linebacker Henry To’o To’o all made the All-SEC freshman team for 2019. The Tennessee Vols football team had the third most players of anybody in the conference, behind only the Alabama Crimson Tide and Texas A&M Aggies.

Revisionist history is a hell of a thing. Studs when they sign here, and play here. Were always bums upon departure.
Again, which one of those guys was going to be a program changer this year?

Reactions: Ratvol
To hell with Alabama and who gives a damn about anything Bammers choose to say about Tennessee.

That is certainly one opinion and I happen to agree with you. I don't care what Alabama thinks about Tennessee any more than I care what you think about Alabama.

Why quote me? I didn't post the article from Bamahammer.

Reactions: Border Vol
Again, which one of those guys was going to be a program changer this year?

Well, I don't have a crystal ball, but I can tell you some former ALL-SEC Freshman, and 5 star recruits, that won't be helping to change the program.

No offense, but that is not really a very good question.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I close the site immediately any time I have to click through 50 pages to read 50 words. Fansided is GARBAGE as well as any other sites that do this crap to keep you on their site longer for traffic and clicks to make money!!! EVERYONE SHOULD BOYCOTT THESE SITES UNTIL THEY
HAVE MORE THAN A FEW WORDS ON 50 DIFFERENT PAGES FOR YOU TO CLICK!!!!!

Reactions: VolInNW

Agreed, I didn't want to see HT, WM, or EG leave as well as the three who were let out of the LOI. But, the transfer period isn't over yet. Isn't that right? What is the cut off date for players to transfer and be eligible for fall of 2021?

Well, I don't have a crystal ball, but I can tell you some former ALL-SEC Freshman, and 5 star recruits, that won't be helping to change the program.

No offense, but that is not really a very good question.
It's a very good question, UT was a 3-7 team with them and probably a 3-7 team without them. 2019 was a group of Seniors who took over that team and did their thing. Last years team had zero leadership, we won't notice a difference.

VN Store

Back