Tennessee spring practice updates 4.4.19

JJ Peterson seems to be trending the wrong way
Yeah, his trend thus far, from taking all last summer to qualify academically, to not getting to Tennessee until the week of the first game, to being very badly out of shape when he got here, to not contributing last year in any way, to being “banged up” after the first day to spring practice in shorts.....it ain’t a good start. Until he does something, anything positive, im quickly looking past him to Crouch and Henry T as our young stud LBs. Peterson has given us no reason at this point to have any positive expectations where he is concerned.

Sometimes past performance IS a guarantee of future results. I'm sure coaching has a handle on the situation.

Yeah, his trend thus far, from taking all last summer to qualify academically, to not getting to Tennessee until the week of the first game, to being very badly out of shape when he got here, to not contributing last year in any way, to being “banged up” after the first day to spring practice in shorts.....it ain’t a good start. Until he does something, anything positive, im quickly looking past him to Crouch and Henry T as our young stud LBs. Peterson has given us no reason at this point to have any positive expectations where he is concerned.
Your first 4 things are literally the same thing... Smh

"JJ is racking up the negatives. First he doesn't qualify until late. Then he doesn't show up until late. Then he doesn't arrive on Campus until Fall practice starts, then he doesn't remember the plays from Spring because he wasn't here..."

Fingers.....you're the Daddy!!! :cool:

Naw, Fingers ain't no daddy. For those of us who desire a peek through the preseason windows of Vols House, Fingers is a defogger. The windows are often fogged up from the steaming mists of speculation, misinformation, imagination, and false creations. So Fingers sprays reality onto those windows to clear things up. Dayum good job doing it too.

71GIdo5MwHL._SL1001_.jpg

Feel like VN is too obsessed with JJ Peterson and the "problem" is more expectations. People expected a Freshman LB to immediately come in and be a stud. It doesn't normally work that way. That's the exception rather than the rule.

He's a Redshirt Freshman who is almost more like a true Freshman. Darrell Taylor hadn't seen any action at all at the same point in his career (and barely contributed on the field till his 3rd year on campus) and he was pretty good last season. I have no clue whether Peterson will pan out or not, but the whole "judging him based on half-a-Freshman-season and a few practices" thing seems a tad overboard.

All that said, I've been very impressed with QC thus far. I love the way he plays. We may not have seen him play a single snap of college ball, but I have a feeling he can be great here. Dude was an absolute beast in high school on both sides of the field and was the clear-cut #1 recruit before he missed his Senior season due to injury.

Last edited:
Feel like VN is too obsessed with JJ Peterson and the "problem" is more expectations. People expected a Freshman LB to immediately come in and be a stud. It doesn't normally work that way. That's the exception rather than the rule.

He's a Redshirt Freshman who is almost more like a true Freshman. Darrell Taylor hadn't seen any action at all at the same point in his career (and barely contributed on the field till his 3rd year on campus) and he was pretty good last season. I have no clue whether Peterson will pan out or not, but the whole "judging him based on half-a-Freshman-season and a few practices" thing seems a tad overboard.

All that said, I've been very impressed with QC thus far. I love the way he plays. We may not have seen him play a single snap of college ball, but I have a feeling he can be great here. Dude was an absolute beast in high school on both sides of the field and was the clear-cut #1 recruit before he missed his Senior season due to injury.
i've said it several times over the past few months, but we, as a fan base, have been conditioned over the past sevral years to think that if a guy that's highly rated comes in and doesn't turn out to be good to great from the jump, then he's a bust.

and there's good precedents there to back up why we feel that way....that shouldn't be overlooked here lol. cause we most certainly have had our fair share of "busts".

but that's still the exception not the rule...imagine if guys like Kmac, Tuttle, bates, barnett, phillips, hall, jack jones...etc, etc, etc...came in here w/out HAVING to be contributors...significant contributors....starting on day 1, and were allowed the opportunity to develop some?

i'd wager that not all of them would have left here with some of the percepitons they left with, as far as being a bust, or not having lived up to the hype.

we have a few guys on the roster right now...Emerson, Peterson are two that come to mind...that have already been given this label. and the reality is they're both very YOUNG, and do have plenty of time to be very good players here.

and as good as we think kids like HT, crouch, wright, Morris, Mcollough, keyton etc, etc are, they all have had certain expectations already placed on them as true freshmen.

we'll be back when we finally don't HAVE to count on the incoming class to be the most talented players on the team....

i've said it several times over the past few months, but we, as a fan base, have been conditioned over the past sevral years to think that if a guy that's highly rated comes in and doesn't turn out to be good to great from the jump, then he's a bust.

and there's good precedents there to back up why we feel that way....that shouldn't be overlooked here lol. cause we most certainly have had our fair share of "busts".

but that's still the exception not the rule...imagine if guys like Kmac, Tuttle, bates, barnett, phillips, hall, jack jones...etc, etc, etc...came in here w/out HAVING to be contributors...significant contributors....starting on day 1, and were allowed the opportunity to develop some?

i'd wager that not all of them would have left here with some of the percepitons they left with, as far as being a bust, or not having lived up to the hype.

we have a few guys on the roster right now...Emerson, Peterson are two that come to mind...that have already been given this label. and the reality is they're both very YOUNG, and do have plenty of time to be very good players here.

and as good as we think kids like HT, crouch, wright, Morris, Mcollough, keyton etc, etc are, they all have had certain expectations already placed on them as true freshmen.

we'll be back when we finally don't HAVE to count on the incoming class to be the most talented players on the team....
Now, now don’t you go bringing all that common sense round here!

I agree with all of the above thanks for writing it because I’m super lazy

Your first 4 things are literally the same thing... Smh

"JJ is racking up the negatives. First he doesn't qualify until late. Then he doesn't show up until late. Then he doesn't arrive on Campus until Fall practice starts, then he doesn't remember the plays from Spring because he wasn't here..."
Wtf? I can give you the he didn’t qualify until summer and didn’t show up until the first game week....but after that? How the hell is showing up 100% out of shape and not contributing last year at any point the same as not getting his academic work handled? And where the hell did anybody anything about not remembering a playbook?

You’re truing way too hard brother. Major fail. Try reading it again and actually comprehending it this time.

Wtf? I can give you the he didn’t qualify until summer and didn’t show up until the first game week....but after that? How the hell is showing up 100% out of shape and not contributing last year at any point the same as not getting his academic work handled? And where the hell did anybody anything about not remembering a playbook?

You’re truing way too hard brother. Major fail. Try reading it again and actually comprehending it this time.
It was sarcasm you dope.

Pruitt said himself he didn't show up any more out of shape than anyone else, the difference was his teammates had been practicing and conditioning (by professionals) for weeks or months.

Showing up late and getting a late start also explains not contributing.

Root cause analysis - Wikipedia

Read it. Learn it. Understand it.

Not calling him a bust by any means at this point, but he’s gotten off to a horrible start, which raises all kinds of red flags about him.

Didn’t handle his school work, showed up woefully out of shape, over the course of 13 weeks/the season never made even one impactful play, and somehow shows up to the first day of spring practice in shorts, after 3 months of off season conditioning, “banged up”.

Obviously, he’s got a lot of football and career left in front of him, plenty of time to re-focus, develop, and be a very good football player here. But his start is.....let’s say it’s less than ideal.

It was sarcasm you dope.

Pruitt said himself he didn't show up any more out of shape than anyone else, the difference was his teammates had been practicing and conditioning (by professionals) for weeks or months.

Showing up late and getting a late start also explains not contributing.

Root cause analysis - Wikipedia

Read it. Learn it. Understand it.
Well then you effing suck at sarcasm. Try something else.

Reactions: JohnD13
Not calling him a bust by any means at this point, but he’s gotten off to a horrible start, which raises all kinds of red flags about him.

Didn’t handle his school work, showed up woefully out of shape, over the course of 13 weeks/the season never made even one impactful play, and somehow shows up to the first day of spring practice in shorts, after 3 months of off season conditioning, “banged up”.

Obviously, he’s got a lot of football and career left in front of him, plenty of time to re-focus, develop, and be a very good football player here. But his start is.....let’s say it’s less than ideal.
...........but you've already looked past him........

a RS fr, that hasn't had a great start to his career, that still has 4 years to play 4, you've written off, in favor of the incoming true freshmen.

i think that pretty much exactly describes the attitude i put in my post above lol.

Well then you effing suck at sarcasm. Try something else.
Okay.

Dear KBVol,

It's stupid to list a bunch of reasons for an opinion you have that all have the same root cause. Instead of making fun of you by doing this through imitation, I'm stating this directly to you in order to alleviate any comprehension issues you suffer from.

Best wishes,

Ya boy,

Ten_Titans

Okay.

Dear KBVol,

It's stupid to list a bunch of reasons for an opinion you have that all have the same root cause. Instead of making fun of you by doing this through imitation, I'm stating this directly to you in order to alleviate any comprehension issues you suffer from.

Best wishes,

Ya boy,

Ten_Titans

Awww shucks! Can't we all just get along? "Heil" No! What would be the fun in that!? This is VN, we gonna VN and ain't nobody, nowhere, nohow, or even nowhen is ever gonna claim we're boring.

Okay.

Dear KBVol,

Best wishes,

Ya boy,

Ten_Titans

When KBVol calls you on it, you say it's sarcasm and then try to snivel out of it by quoting the formalities of root cause. When you're wrong, just admit it instead of trying to double down.

VN Store

Back