Tennessee Softball 2023

@Majors As I said, the camera angle could have fooled me but on the first hit Karlyn started to reach for the ball and then clearly pulled back. The second one she did not attempt to field.

Wrong on both occasions.

Also we were the 5 seed in 2007. Monica's performance in those supers were very similar to her performance in the 2006 supers vs. Michigan. Won game 1, got roughed up in game 2, came back strong in game 3.

For the SB gurus...

I heard it said that this was the first SEC regular season and tournament sweep for the LVs. What prevented us from doing the same while Monica Abbott was here?

For the SB gurus...

I heard it said that this was the first SEC regular season and tournament sweep for the LVs. What prevented us from doing the same while Monica Abbott was here?

Just couldn't put it together. In 2006 we won the SECT as the 4-seed. In 2007 we lost to Florida in the semis 1-0 after winning the regular season. I believe that was Tim Walton's first season.

For the SB gurus...

Those teams couldn’t hit a lick. If Monica had our offense now we would have been Oklahoma. The greatest of her pitching got us to where we went which was bases loaded no outs with one run to win it all. All time choke by our hitters. It was just brutal.

I was thinking (dangerous I know) while driving home three hours that we live and die with every pitch. Fuss and fight about our third pitcher who most any team in the nation would love to have. Stepping back we really have laid waste to the Sec and the region so far. Let’s hope it continues because I don’t like Texas nor their coach but they are a quality team. This team is different. They have something. Have far it will take us remains to be seen. We should appreciate them and enjoy the ride.

Looking ahead at the Comcast TV schedule for Saturday, the only 3pm timeslot on the major ESPN networks for softball is regular ESPN. So that must be where Saturday's game is being shown. Also, my tickets show no Sunday game, so there would be a doubleheader on Saturday, if necessary. Rain in the forecast for Friday but sunny on Saturday.
A recent story in the Knoxville News-Sentinel said the network for Saturday's game is TBA and that a game would be played on Sunday if necessary.

[QUOTE="kregman, post: 22729817, member: 43481" If Monica had our offense now we would have been Oklahoma. The greatest of her pitching got us to where we went which was bases loaded no outs with one run to win it all. All time choke by our hitters. It was just brutal.[/QUOTE]

It still hurts me to recall that and I was only a fan watching on TV. Imagine how Abbott must have felt. (She is not the kind of person who would place blame or be bitter, but dang. If anyone ever deserved to be disappointed in her teammates, it’s Monica.)

I know Ashley is the only for sure departure, but what are the portal needs looking like? Bri Ellis, Auburn’s 2022 SEC FOTY in the portal. RHP Kayla Beaver from UCA as well.

[QUOTE="kregman, post: 22729817, member: 43481" If Monica had our offense now we would have been Oklahoma. The greatest of her pitching got us to where we went which was bases loaded no outs with one run to win it all. All time choke by our hitters. It was just brutal.

It still hurts me to recall that and I was only a fan watching on TV. Imagine how Abbott must have felt. (She is not the kind of person who would place blame or be bitter, but dang. If anyone ever deserved to be disappointed in her teammates, it’s Monica.)[/QUOTE]

I was watching too...This is the game that Ralph kept closing his eyes, it was too much for him to watch ...We had a team full of slappers then...I'm still not fond of slappers,

Looking ahead at the Comcast TV schedule for Saturday, the only 3pm timeslot on the major ESPN networks for softball is regular ESPN. So that must be where Saturday's game is being shown. Also, my tickets show no Sunday game, so there would be a doubleheader on Saturday, if necessary. Rain in the forecast for Friday but sunny on Saturday.

There is also a 3 ET game scheduled for ABC. That will either be our game or a Game 3 from one of the two Supers that starts Thursday.

There is nothing wrong with Pickens except she's a Freshman.

Pitch calling is not helping, she does need another pitch and she is not consistent.

This is why after season you go to the portal for a pitcher
Freshman part can’t be said enough. You don’t want her peaking this year.

Last edited:
It still hurts me to recall that and I was only a fan watching on TV. Imagine how Abbott must have felt. (She is not the kind of person who would place blame or be bitter, but dang. If anyone ever deserved to be disappointed in her teammates, it’s Monica.)

I was watching too...This is the game that Ralph kept closing his eyes, it was too much for him to watch ...We had a team full of slappers then...I'm still not fond of slappers,[/QUOTE]

A loss from which I may never recover. As we all thought we would claim our first National Championship in softball, Ralph Weekly awoke with a dental issue. He needed a procedure and was on pain medication during the game. Best I remember he replaced himself as third base coach and started pacing in the dugout. Our hitting cost us that game 1-0 and caused us to play the third game. I wonder if Coach Ralph Weekly had been well would it have made a difference.

Last edited:
Its probably already been talked a bunch about but I can't figure out why Donahue don't get a batting helmet that fits her better bless her heart. Everytime she swings she's looking out the finger hole of the helmet. When she gets a hit she's fixing her helmet as she's running now I'm not sure but that seems like that cost her at least a step or so as she heads to first base. There may be a reason she sticks with that helmet but does anyone know if she had the same problem while at Oklahoma?

Those teams couldn’t hit a lick. If Monica had our offense now we would have been Oklahoma. The greatest of her pitching got us to where we went which was bases loaded no outs with one run to win it all. All time choke by our hitters. It was just brutal.

I well remember that half inning. We had the best pitcher in the game and couldn't hit: would have won the title with a sacrifice fly. It WAS brutal. Totally choked away a title.

I well remember that half inning. We had the best pitcher in the game and couldn't hit: would have won the title with a sacrifice fly. It WAS brutal. Totally choked away a title.
That lost and the Lsu football lost costing us a trip to the National championship game still eat at me after all these years.

VN Store

Back