⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Leaving a good program to go to what you perceive to be a better program is betrayal of your teammates---a slap in the face--even if transferring is de rigueur these days. It stings. It's one thing when a good player at a smaller program--a mid-major, say---transfers to a bigger, better program, and we see a lot of that. It's quite another thing when one moves from one big D1 program to another, but that happens a lot now, too.

Haley Hopkins was Vandy's best player--a center-forward and true scoring talent on a good team--and two years ago she surprised me and others--including, no doubt her coach and teammates--when she decided to transfer to UVA--a situation quite similar to this one. Vandy is a good program, but UVA is a bit more high-profile. She left Vandy high and dry--and the team struggled to score the season after she left and missed the NCAA. Vandy rebounded this year, however, but it was a serious setback.

I think transferring has been made too easy nowadays--but we're now in an era of player empowerment, for good or for bad. A mix of both, I think.
I think you are missing one very important factor. She could have gone to any number of top programs coming out of High School. She chose Tennessee because of Pensky. Why should she be punished or criticized for wanting to follow the coach that brought her here, that helped her excel at a high level and gives her the best chance of playing at the next level. It happens all the time in the real world, why should it be any different for college students? Look at what happened when Kiffin left in the middle of the night, it’s very similar to Pensky leaving. She didn’t have enough time to uproot everything and she did give UT a shot for a year under Kirt. The football program is finally coming back but it took years. I don’t blame her for wanting to leave or any other student athletes that chooses to leave this year as well to improve their situation especially if the reason they came here left(Pensky). It’s the responsibility of Danny White to fix the situation and make it more appealing place for athletes to stay and want to come here. It does hurt seeing her go but I get it and wish her the best.

A lot of schools are already making a splash in the portal, hope Tennessee does too.

3DE1B754-46A7-41F0-B715-0C4193491F4A.jpeg

National Women's Soccer League Official Site | NWSL

A6AA2BAF-828B-4E48-8A1D-47E099A754EB.jpeg

NEW YORK (December 22, 2022) – The National Women’s Soccer League has shared the current list of players who have registered for the 2023 NWSL Draft presented by Ally. The draft will be hosted at the Pennsylvania Convention Center on Thursday, January 12 at 6 p.m. ET in Philadelphia.

The 2023 NWSL Draft presented by Ally will air live on CBS Sports Network, Paramount+ and CBS Sports HQ, the free 24/7 streaming sports news network, from 6 to 7 p.m. ET. Coverage of the draft will continue on Paramount+ and CBS Sports HQ from 7 to 11 p.m. ET.

Abbey Burdette

29A86B8F-7444-4BC3-B9ED-F306320CD2ED.jpeg

Glad to see Burdette on the NWSL registration list. Don't know if she'll be drafted or not; I think the NWSL draft is only 2 rounds,
and even those who are drafted have no guarantee of making a roster, as the league only has, what, 11/12 teams, and with a lot of veteran
players who've been cut by one team looking to sign with another, it's hard for even good college players to get on a NWSL roster. But I definitely
expect to see Burdette playing professionally somewhere next year.

Makes you wonder if some of the players were really invested in playing for Joe?

Of course they were invested--but when you regress, as the team did, viewpoints change. In fact, I met Rain's parents while walking to a restaurant a few hours prior to the game at North Carolina, and the first thing one of them said to me (can't remember which one) was: "They've gone to a three-back formation," and it wasn't a remark made with enthusiasm; quite the opposite, in fact. There was a tangible twinge of concern in the voice--and why not, given that Rain, who had played so well (along with Katz) at the outside back position in the four-back system of the year before, was now being asked to learn a new position. It's something of a cardinal rule in sports and coaching: If a player is thriving in a particular position, you leave that player where s/he is. You don't move him or her to a new position, because then you've created two problems: First, the player has to learn a new position and, for that reason, is not likely to be as influential as s/he was in the previous position; and second, you've got to find a new player to fill the other player's previous position--and s/he may not be as good. And we did this with both Rain and Katz--and their replacements on the wings were not as good. I responded to Rain's parent with some concern of my own--but there was nothing we could do. I'm sorry the players didn't go to Kirt at some point and say, 'hey, we have to go back to our four-back system." Very depressing situation.

Reactions: Lurker
That goes back my point if some of these players were truly invested because at times it didn’t look like that. Also Pensky leaving for FSU didn’t help & Danny White made a hire just to save the team from completely leaving. Now Pensky poached two the teams players & wouldn’t surprise me if he’s done yet. QUOTE="turbovol, post: 22280750, member: 85659"]Of course they were invested--but when you regress, as the team did, viewpoints change. In fact, I met Rain's parents while walking to a restaurant a few hours prior to the game at North Carolina, and the first thing one of them said to me (can't remember which one) was: "They've gone to a three-back formation," and it wasn't a remark made with enthusiasm; quite the opposite, in fact. There was a tangible twinge of concern in the voice--and why not, given that Rain, who had played so well (along with Katz) at the outside back position in the four-back system of the year before, was now being asked to learn a new position. It's something of a cardinal rule in sports and coaching: If a player is thriving in a particular position, you leave that player where s/he is. You don't move him or her to a new position, because then you've created two problems: First, the player has to learn a new position and, for that reason, is not likely to be as influential as s/he was in the previous position; and second, you've got to find a new player to fill the other player's previous position--and s/he may not be as good. And we did this with both Rain and Katz--and their replacements on the wings were not as good. I responded to Rain's parent with some concern of my own--but there was nothing we could do. I'm sorry the players didn't go to Kirt at some point and say, 'hey, we have to go back to our four-back system." Very depressing situation.[/QUOTE]

Fusco and Simmonds probably not far behind. Maybe not Jaida because to be honest she is a a one trick pony (can score in the box) although she is very good at that. She plays little D and creates very little for her teammates. Does anyone honestly think Kirk can build it back. He couldn't even keep what they had going. Sad indeed. Danny blew this one.

Noticed that Layla Shell isn’t on the updated 2023 roster.

I wish I knew what the deal was with Shell, but I don't. Was considered a strong defensive prospect, good size and athleticism--but she didn't
play at all last year and I don't think she even dressed. I assumed she had some sort of injury--but we don't get much if any info about players
in some sports.

I'm curious to see if Kirt brings in any transfers this year. You need to work the portal every year--it's important. He didn't last year--mistake--and heard nothing so far this year. You can't hope a young player develops while everybody else is bringing in experienced transfers.

Lady Vols’ Kayla Barr earns all-state honors

125C6E32-5F16-413D-9C84-7B6B9AC17C1D.jpeg

Lady Vols’ Kayla Barr earns all-state honors

Tennessee soccer signee Kayla Barr has been named to the Tennessee Sports Writers Association Class AAA All-State Soccer Team.

Barr enrolled at Tennessee in January. She played at Maryville High School in maryville, Tennessee.

Barr recorded 32 goals and 11 assists at Maryville, advancing to the District 4-AAA tournament semifinals.

She was named the district’s Co-Offensive Player of the Year.

Barr played at The King’s Academy in Seymour, Tennessee before transferring to Maryville following her freshman year

She is Maryville’s all-time leading scorer (96 goals). Barr totaled 53 career assists at Maryville.

She was a four-year All-District standout and a four-time All-Region performer in high school.

VN Store

Back