⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ces#id=lady-vol-youth-soccer-clinic-knoxville

42F95B08-69E5-4C75-B196-9A298CACF8EE.png

Join us as we host three current Lady Vol soccer players at House of Sport!

Maria Nelson, Tara Katz and Lindsey Romig will all be on the The Field at DICK'S House of Sport as you have the opportunity to interact with them, do some skills and drills and play soccer!

You'll also get a photo with the players and an autograph.
We will have items available for purchase in the store that can be autographed, or you're welcome to bring one item from home.

Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time and have an item ready to be autographed.

Details:
Date: June 11
Time: 10am-11:30am
Ages: 8 & up

Reactions: turbovol
Cousins wasn't even listed as a sub last night.

I watched a bit of LA's game in the second half--long enough to see Angle City go from being down 0-2 to 0-3 to Portland.

Reactions: MAD
LVFL Hannah Tillett with the game winning goal. 👏👏👏

55B5B9D3-D342-40CE-8221-76D32FE91E2A.jpeg

Hannah Tillett scored on a penalty kick in the 13th minute, and the visitors held on to pick up three points and improve to 1-1-2 in the USL W League's South Central Division.

Reactions: turbovol
We're 7 weeks away from the start of training camp and Kirt has yet to hire a new assistant coach. I hope this means he's working to get
somebody good....

I noted Morgan's comment..."Whether Joe or I was the new coach...." and it's got me wondering what the relationship between the two men will be going forward. I certainly hope it's very good....both are good guys, but human nature can complicate things. Both have been longtime assistants here, and given that he has been a head coach, while Kirt had not, I'm sure that Morgan was keen to succeed Pensky himself. I have no idea if he made a push for it or not, but it can be a tricky situation when two people have been roughly at the same level for a long time--and then suddenly one of them is promoted and now he's the boss and you're still the associate. There's the exterior face that one puts on--and then there's the way one /really/ feels--and if there is resentment by the one who didn't get the job it can lead to issues.

I'm reminded of when Warlick got the nod to succeed Summitt. DeMoss, who had been the senior assistant to Warlick's junior assistant, was pissed and left the program. It was pretty clear--to me, at least--she didn't respect Warlick all that much, didn't think she deserved the job (and it turns out she was right), and so left. And in a lot of situations, that is the best thing for all concerned...precisely because there is going to be friction otherwise. I once had an English boss who was second in command at our enterprise. He'd previously worked for a prestigious English firm. Then one day it was announced that we were getting a new top boss--another Englishman who'd worked at the same English firm as my boss. Well, not more than 2 weeks after the announcement my boss had taken a new job. Turns out he and the new boss and been colleagues and rivals at the previous company, and my boss had no intention of taking orders from his old colleague/rival. He was out of there in a flash.

In any case, I'm not really trying to suggest that there will be issues--and I'm certainly not suggesting that Morgan doesn't respect Kirt, I'm sure he does. But, as I say, these situations can be tricky--and doubly so when you promote someone like Kirt who's been an assistant for a very long time and, who, moreover, doesn't exactly have the most commanding personality. (Actually, both guys seem pretty mild-mannered.) And with this I'll try to put aside my qualms and expect Kirt and Morgan take us to the top!

I noted Morgan's comment..."Whether Joe or I was the new coach...." and it's got me wondering what the relationship between the two men will be going forward. I certainly hope it's very good....both are good guys, but human nature can complicate things. Both have been longtime assistants here, and given that he has been a head coach, while Kirt had not, I'm sure that Morgan was keen to succeed Pensky himself. I have no idea if he made a push for it or not, but it can be a tricky situation when two people have been roughly at the same level for a long time--and then suddenly one of them is promoted and now he's the boss and you're still the associate. There's the exterior face that one puts on--and then there's the way one /really/ feels--and if there is resentment by the one who didn't get the job it can lead to issues.

I'm reminded of when Warlick got the nod to succeed Summitt. DeMoss, who had been the senior assistant to Warlick's junior assistant, was pissed and left the program. It was pretty clear--to me, at least--she didn't respect Warlick all that much, didn't think she deserved the job (and it turns out she was right), and so left. And in a lot of situations, that is the best thing for all concerned...precisely because there is going to be friction otherwise. I once had an English boss who was second in command at our enterprise. He'd previously worked for a prestigious English firm. Then one day it was announced that we were getting a new top boss--another Englishman who'd worked at the same English firm as my boss. Well, not more than 2 weeks after the announcement my boss had taken a new job. Turns out he and the new boss and been colleagues and rivals at the previous company, and my boss had no intention of taking orders from his old colleague/rival. He was out of there in a flash.

In any case, I'm not really trying to suggest that there will be issues--and I'm certainly not suggesting that Morgan doesn't respect Kirt, I'm sure he does. But, as I say, these situations can be tricky--and doubly so when you promote someone like Kirt who's been an assistant for a very long time and, who, moreover, doesn't exactly have the most commanding personality. (Actually, both guys seem pretty mild-mannered.) And with this I'll try to put aside my qualms and expect Kirt and Morgan take us to the top!
Those are a lot of good points you brought up. I had noticed a couple of those remarks as well. Hope it works out and like you said, they take us to the top.

It looks like Tennessee has found their new director of soccer operations, Macaulay Soto from Virginia Tech.
Nothing has been posted officially yet by the University.

B616F516-7D73-438B-AD82-F820C351039C.jpeg
8B68A9B5-53E7-43CB-9F47-A348E70D06B6.jpeg

Twitter and Instagram accounts updated
F7FC53C5-044D-40C8-9D2E-6EDEDB1AA28A.jpeg703BD058-18CF-4D58-9BEC-5EA1ED7AD620.jpeg

Last edited:
When Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC

Regular season: Soccer will continue to compete in a two-division format. Each season a team will play seven divisional opponents plus three cross-divisional opponents on a rotating basis, for a total of 10 conference games.

SEC Soccer Championship: 12 teams will compete in a single-elimination format, with the top four seeded teams receiving a first-round bye.

Florida released their 2022 schedule
Tennessee plays them in Gainesville on Friday September 16.
BF914B72-8088-4DEE-A1B4-D53912D21AF2.jpeg

I would strongly disagree with this assessment of the situation regarding the transition in women's basketball. DeMoss had returned to the program to support Pat and "get the band back together" after her situation at Texas blew up. She had an opportunity after her first season back to go to the WNBA, but stayed to support Pat in her health situation for that final season. She was aware of what the transition plan was well ahead of time, and had expressed her desire then to not be a head coach again. She told many, including UT's administrators, that she had no desire to take a head job again after her tenure at Kentucky.

Kirt Adds Becky Edwards and Macaulay Soto To Staff

0C33E217-4C78-4B4E-BF3E-B0F2FDEC4CB6.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee head soccer coach Joe Kirt announced two additions to his staff on Tuesday, hiring Becky Edwards as assistant coach and Macaulay Soto as director of operations.

Edwards comes to Tennessee after serving as an assistant coach at Penn for two years, helping lead the Quakers to a 9-5-2 record in 2021 and working directly with the offense which turned in 29 goals over 16 games.

Becky is a phenomenal addition to our program. We couldn't be more excited for what she brings to our coaching staff, team and athletic department. Her experience as a player and coach will be invaluable to our program's success moving forward," said Kirt.

"She knows first-hand what success and development look like at the highest level, and there is no better mentor for our current and future players, many of whom aspire to achieve similar goals in their careers as Becky has accomplished. She is fully committed to player development on and off the field. We can't wait for her to arrive on Rocky Top after her obligations as an assistant coach with the U.S. U-20 National Team in France later this month."

Prior to her time at Penn, Edwards was a graduate assistant at her alma mater, Florida State, assisting the staff with training and film sessions as the Seminoles mounted an 18-6-0 record en route to a postseason run to the NCAA Quarterfinals in 2019 and capturing the ACC title in the fall of 2020, going 11-0 in conference play.

During her playing career, Edwards was an accomplished athlete at both the collegiate and professional levels. A two-time First Team All-America selection, she led Florida State to a 72-18-11 record during her four years, making NCAA Tournament appearances every season and twice advancing to the College Cup.

"Becky Edwards is one of the most outstanding student-athletes we had at FSU during my time there. As a player, she was a coach on the field. Her playing experience, understanding of the game and her positive personality will be a great addition to the Tennessee women's soccer program," said former FSU head coach Mark Krikorian.

She graduated magna cum laude from FSU in 2010 before being drafted as the 12th overall pick in the 2010 Women's Professional Soccer draft, leading FC Gold Pride to a WPS Championship in her rookie season. That was the start of a nine-year pro career which also included titles with Western NY Flash and Portland Thorns, as well as two stints in Sweden.

At the international level, Edwards captained the United States to the 2008 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup title, and in 2011 she helped the U.S. U-23 National Team win a championship at the Four Nations Tournament in La Manga, Spain. Following that performance she earned a call up to the senior USWNT camp.

Soto arrives on Rocky Top having spent five seasons as the director of operations for women's soccer at Virginia Tech. In that role she managed the recruiting database, coordinated equipment and video needs and oversaw all aspects of team travel.

Prior to her time in Blacksburg, Soto spent a season at Carthage College in Wisconsin as a graduate assistant and recruiting coordinator.

A 2016 graduate of Messiah College in Mechanicsburg, Pa., she was a four-year letter winner, earning all-conference defensive player of the year honors on two occasions and being named an NSCAA All-American in 2014 and 2015. During her collegiate career, the Falcons were NCAA Division III national champions in 2012 and advanced to the Final Four in 2015.

"We are thrilled to add Macaulay to our staff. She brings a wealth of experience, professionalism, and a selfless approach to our team," said Kirt.

"She will be an integral part of our day-to-day operations and bring new ideas to enhance our student athletes' overall well-being and experience at Tennessee. Building on her success as a NCAA champion and All-American, Macaulay is committed to developing relationships within our team and being a mentor for our players in addition to her operations role."

VN Store

Back