⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

I prefer without it too, but it seems like I’m in the minority. If that’s what they want to be called I’m 100% on board.
It needs to stay, if only for Pat Summitt’s legacy. Whenever someone says “Lady Vols” they associate that with her which in turn represents excellence. It’s not just for the ladies playing basketball, but for all the other sports as well. Pat supported all the sports and was deeply embedded within the university. She helped recruit for the other sports. Whenever a coach from another sport asked her to help sell Tennessee she was always willing to help. We owe it to her to keep it. Every young woman that has donned the “Lady Vols” uniform will tell you exactly how much it means to them.

Well, I'll have to disagree strongly about the logo and the Lady Vol name. I think they're both very outdated and should be retired. They're SO old-fashioned. They date back to, when, the 70s? Certainly the 80s. The word "lady" is outdated. Why do the women need their own name and logo? Everybody plays for same university. There was a time when a separate name/logo might have made sense--but for me that time has long since past. And this: How many other universities have a separate name/logo for their women's teams now? I can't think of one. Many used to--but dropped them.

And the logo? Oh, my--it is ancient and looks it. There is not a graphic designer in America who would look at the logo and say, yea, cool. It's not very strong looking--just the opposite, in fact, with the baby blue and swirly cursive typeface. In my opinion, those who want to hang on to the LV name and logo ared mainly those who still want to hang onto the Summitt era, and that era is over. I mean, there's no doubt that that's a big reason for the attachment of some/many to the name and logo. I'm not one for living in the past, so we'll have to disagree on this one.

If I was starting a new college program from scratch, I think I would have one brand and one logo for all - men and women. Yes, the LV is an older brand with an older appearance, but, we have some pretty significant history here that needs to be considered, not tossed. The Lady Vol brand and logo grew strong when women's sports were in their infancy. Back then, the Lady Vols led the way across the developing expanse of women's college sports - especially, but not just in basketball. A great deal of tradition and pride attached to the LV brand and far more than just the women who have worn the logo developed tremendous attachment and loyalty to the brand. I think there is a difference between honoring and perpetuating a respected tradition and "living in the past." Either way, I will support the ladies.

Before this board existed and since its creation, the argument always by males is "they" note the pronoun. "They" should not have a separate athletic department, they should not be taking away from the revenue producing men's sports. The argument before PHS took the women's basketball team to the top was "the women "they" are non-relevant and not- self supporting. The board has had folks who debated the Federal government passing Title IX that protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance.

I always smile at the concept of dated brand - every year we read about the significant updated changes in football helmets and fonts and colors on jerseys. We can debate the length of the men and women's basketball shorts. Recently we had those who were adverse to makeup and hair style of some of the women players. And more than one boarder watching from television determined that a player was non-interested while on the bench and should be punished.

However, in my opinion the University of Tennessee has a superior attitude and support for women's sports with far fewer poor hires and win's/loses than men's revenue and non-revenue sports. the LV's image and success is far from being broke.

Reactions: StrangeVol and MAD
It needs to stay, if only for Pat Summitt’s legacy. Whenever someone says “Lady Vols” they associate that with her which in turn represents excellence. It’s not just for the ladies playing basketball, but for all the other sports as well. Pat supported all the sports and was deeply embedded within the university. She helped recruit for the other sports. Whenever a coach from another sport asked her to help sell Tennessee she was always willing to help. We owe it to her to keep it. Every young woman that has donned the “Lady Vols” uniform will tell you exactly how much it means to them.

You don't need to keep an outdated name and logo to remember Summitt. There are plenty of ways to do that--duh. There's a statue of her on campus, for starters. I'm quite sure there are stll plenty of reminders of John Wooden around UCLA without having to continue to use a 1960 logo. It's silly. I have as much respect for Summitt as anyone--and nobody is a bigger supporter of female athletics than me. Last I checked, only women play soccer at Tennesee. But, yes, there are a lot of people who just can't put the Summitt era behind them. It's the same reason we hired Warlick and then turned around and did the same thing with Harper. I'm pretty sure if Summitt were still aliive and elderly, she'd be the first say: Get rid of the old logo--it's time to move on. At the very least, the logo should be modernized--It looks like a 50-year-old logo.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
You don't need to keep an outdated name and logo to remember Summitt. There are plenty of ways to do that--duh. There's a statue of her on campus, for starters. I'm quite sure there are stll plenty of reminders of John Wooden around UCLA without having to continue to use a 1960 logo. It's silly. I have as much respect for Summitt as anyone. But, yes, this is precisely the issue: There are a bunch of people who just can't put the Summitt era behind them. It's the same reason we hired Warlick and then turned around and did the same thing with Harper. I'm pretty sure if Summitt were still aliive and elderly, she'd be the first say: Get rid of the old logo--it's time to move on. Or at the very least, modernize it. It looks like a 50-year-old logo.
It's a simple and legible logo (a rarity in the ad world), has lasted long enough to pass back into "retro cool," it's a far more easily recognizable brand outside of the state Tennessee than the regular UT logo is--how many times have I been asked about them Longhorns while wearing my regular orange and white power T hat. That recognition, btw, is what people pay millions to marketing teams to develop, and we already have it. As a brand, purely from a money and visibility perspective, it's a lose-lose to get rid of the logo.

Adding this: Lady Vols Tennis is bringing the classic Lady Vols logo and light blue back to their program.

Last edited:
You don't need to keep an outdated name and logo to remember Summitt. There are plenty of ways to do that--duh. There's a statue of her on campus, for starters. I'm quite sure there are stll plenty of reminders of John Wooden around UCLA without having to continue to use a 1960 logo. It's silly. I have as much respect for Summitt as anyone--and nobody is a bigger supporter of female athletics than me. Last I checked, only women play soccer at Tennesee. But, yes, there are a lot of people who just can't put the Summitt era behind them. It's the same reason we hired Warlick and then turned around and did the same thing with Harper. I'm pretty sure if Summitt were still aliive and elderly, she'd be the first say: Get rid of the old logo--it's time to move on. At the very least, the logo should be modernized--It looks like a 50-year-old logo.
Ask the young women that put on the uniform.

I happen to like the logo. And the name Lady Vols......just my opinion..it doesn't seem to be hurting recruiting.

Get rid of the old logo--it's time to move on. At the very least, the logo should be modernized--It looks like a 50-year-old logo.

It's a worldwide-recognized brand, turbovol, not just an outdated logo. It's way beyond just being a logo, no matter the style of it.

Think about the Coca-Cola script logo. It's around 130 years old and it also could be correctly stated that it's "outdated." I mean, who uses that kind of old-fashioned cursive script these days?

It's old-fashioned and outdated, but it would be beyond stupid to change it when it is among the most recognized logos in the world.

Attachments

• 4254FAAB-B7B1-4E4B-99E7-F093085757DA.jpeg
    4254FAAB-B7B1-4E4B-99E7-F093085757DA.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6E1E23A4-13B9-40DD-99BC-F33A4B17FCA9.jpeg
    6E1E23A4-13B9-40DD-99BC-F33A4B17FCA9.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
It's a worldwide-recognized brand, turbovol, not just an outdated logo. It's way beyond just being a logo, no matter the style of it.

Think about the Coca-Cola script logo. It's around 130 years old and it also could be correctly stated that it's "outdated." I mean, who uses that kind of old-fashioned cursive script these days?

It's old-fashioned and outdated, but it would be beyond stupid to change it when it is among the most recognized logos in the world.

I agree that the Coca-Cola logo has largely stood the test of time. It is old and yet doesn't look old. That is rare--and doesn't apply to the LV logo, which is old AND looks old. Beyond that, nearly all corporate/organization logos are updated/modernized over time. I don't like Tennessee looking like we're clinging to the past--and it's undeniable that we have been. The fact that not one other women's program in America still uses "Lady" in their name is telling--and if you're response is, well, we're precious, I guess you can think that. If we were still a power in women's basketball it might help the LV case, but we haven't been for more than 20 years. The whole point of Title IX was to create equality in women's athletics--and yet here we are still hanging onto a separate, 70s-style name and logo.

Happy Joe Bruin was a popular feature of the UCLA logo/brand starting in 1964. People liked the soft, approachable bear--but he was dropped in 1995 and replaced with a more modernized bear--and then the more modern bear image was dropped altogether in 2003. And, allow me to remind, nobody has a more revered men's basketball tradition than UCLA/John Wooden. UCLA didn't move on from John Wooden and his legacy--just the old logo. That's the thing.

We Love UCLA Logos: Past & Present!

Reactions: MAD
I agree that the Coca-Cola logo has largely stood the test of time. It is old and yet doesn't look old. That is rare--and doesn't apply to the LV logo, which is old AND looks old. Beyond that, nearly all corporate/organization logos are updated/modernized over time. I don't like Tennessee looking like we're clinging to the past--and it's undeniable that we have been. The fact that not one other women's program in America still uses "Lady" in their name is telling--and if you're response is, well, we're precious, I guess you can think that. If we were still a power in women's basketball it might help the LV case, but we haven't been for more than 20 years. The whole point of Title IX was to create equality in women's athletics--and yet here we are still hanging onto a separate, 70s-style name and logo.

Happy Joe Bruin was a popular feature of the UCLA logo/brand starting in 1964. People liked the soft, approachable bear--but he was dropped in 1995 and replaced with a more modernized bear--and then the more modern bear image was dropped altogether in 2003. And, allow me to remind, nobody has a more revered men's basketball tradition than UCLA/John Wooden. UCLA didn't move on from John Wooden and his legacy--just the old logo. That's the thing.

The 96-03 UCLA logo was horrible.

Are you sure that Tennessee is the last team to use the Lady label? I was trying to google to find confirmation and was unsuccessful.

And what did they change the UCLA bear to? Back to the original idea of the cursive font. It even says it right there in the article. The classic look has a timeless appeal, hence why it's what's worked for so many decades.

In the case of the Lady Vols, you've made it clear you don't like the logo, but I haven't seen you address the marketing and money aspect. Replacing an instantly recognizable brand with regular UT gear (since you want them to drop the 'lady' and the light blue as well) is not a good marketing or money idea for the program.

Keep a brand that works perfectly well as is, or spend money to "update" the logo to some fad or another only to return to the original eventually anyway?

Reactions: Bret178

@turbovol @lvocd
Tubovol and lVOCD both are excellent writers. They make their points very efficiently. But I fear Turbovol is new to these shark infested waters.

AD Dave Hart arrived on the Hill from Alabama (maybe 15 years ago) and in his efforts to consolidate the men's and women's atheletic departments he tried to dismantle the Lady Vol brand. Maybe he was a visionary. I doubt it. But he chose that route. Mr. Hart isn't our athletic director any more and the brand is more popular than ever.

We all understood the need for cost saving initiatives and were willing to compromise up-to-a-point. One reason, Mr. Hart is no longer our AD, is because he never understood who we are and what we've accomplished under the Lady Vol brand.

LVFL Khadija Bunny Shaw

Bunny was 5th in goals scored (9) but topped the league in shot accuracy (66%) and 2nd in minutes per goal (88). A very promising first season in England for the Jamaican striker.

F1016060-1577-4621-B00F-22F4AD57EBCB.jpeg

Reactions: VolPack22
Katie Cousins off the Out list for todays match.

D9FF55FC-F444-45F1-A3BA-ED59ED5F83A5.jpeg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back