⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

What They're Saying About Head Coach Joe Kirt

315440_20210122_Danny_White_Headshot_AF_001.jpg

DANNY WHITE
VICE CHANCELLOR/DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS

DR. DANIEL J. WHITE, VICE CHANCELLOR/DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
"When I met with the student-athletes in our soccer program earlier this week, I asked what characteristics they valued in their next head coach. They talked about a leader who cares about their development beyond just athletics, someone who promotes a family-oriented culture, someone who empowers them to be themselves genuinely and someone who not only listens but truly hears.

"After examining several quality candidates, it became increasingly apparent that we already had the perfect fit right here in current associate head coach Joe Kirt.

"Joe has been an integral part of building Tennessee soccer into a championship-caliber program, and we're going to support it at a level that matches those championship ambitions. We can't wait to watch Tennessee soccer rise to new heights and compete for SEC and NCAA titles under Joe's leadership."

7326859.jpeg

ANGELA KELLY
CURRENT TEXAS WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH

ANGELA KELLY, CURRENT TEXAS WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH
"What an exciting time for Joe Kirt and the Tennessee soccer program. Joe has been in Knoxville, and a mainstay of the Tennessee soccer program, for 15-plus years now. There is no doubt that he will hit the ground running as the new head coach of the Lady Vols. I wish Joe and his family all the very best on his new position."

Burleigh_Becky_2009.jpg

BECKY BURLEIGH
FORMER UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA HEAD COACH

BECKY BURLEIGH, FORMER UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA HEAD COACH
"Great hire! Joe is an incredible ambassador for the game with a great mix of competitiveness and culture."

IMG_4340.jpeg

G GUERRIERI
CURRENT TEXAS A&M WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH

G GUERRIERI, TEXAS A&M WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH
"Joe is a great guy and has been loyal to the Vol program for a long time, so it's really nice to see the administration put their trust in him to keep the program on a positive trajectory."

MqclkzXl_400x400.jpg

HANNAH WILKINSON
FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER | NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL TEAM
3x OLYMPIAN | 3x WORLD CUP PARTICIPANT

HANNAH WILKINSON, FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER | NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL TEAM
"Joe is a terrific coach and an amazing person. He deserves this role—big congrats to him. I can't wait to see him lead this team."

227D82B9-2307-43B4-87FB-A660D71A9DE7.jpeg

KATIE COUSINS
FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER
CURRENT ANGEL CITY FC MIDFIELDER

KATIE COUSINS, FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER | ANGEL CITY FC
"I'm extremely happy and excited to hear about Joe Kirtbecoming the head coach at Tennessee. He is going to continue the success they've been having the last couple of years. He cares a lot about his players on and off the field and the type of people they are becoming. I'd say I'm worried about this new job giving him grey hairs at his age, but we all know he already has a full head of grey hair, so I guess here come the wrinkles."

LONDON%20CITY%20LIONESSES%20HEADSHOTS%20-8.jpg

SHAE YANEZ
FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER
LONDON CITY LIONESSES

SHAE YANEZ, FORMER TENNESSEE PLAYER | LONDON CITY LIONESSES
"Joe Kirt is one of the kindest, most dedicated and professional human beings that I've ever met in my life. He always puts the person before the player, and that's not something that is often seen, especially in the college game. Joe was always willing to go above and beyond to help me become the best player I can be. He always made himself available to help me, whether that be with video analysis and going over clips, individual sessions, or even a genuine conversation if I was struggling with something on or off the pitch. I'm so happy for Joe, and I cannot wait to see what he achieves as a head coach at Tennessee."

Burdette_53.jpg

ABBEY BURDETTE
CURRENT TENNESSEE MIDFIELDER

ABBEY BURDETTE, CURRENT TENNESSEE MIDFIELDER
"I am so extremely happy for Joe and his family. As a team we were extremely passionate about Joe stepping into this role. Joe is truly a leader who not only wants his players to grow as soccer players, but also wants us to grow as individuals. Joe's ability to connect with players on a personal level will inspire this program to continue to grow. He has been a critical part of the culture we have built here. I cannot wait for what the future holds and am so excited to get started with Joe as our head coach."

Romig.jpg

LINDSEY ROMIG
CURRENT TENNESSEE GOALKEEPER

LINDSEY ROMIG, CURRENT TENNESSEE GOALKEEPER
"We were all just ecstatic (when we learned Joe was the new head coach). There were a lot of happy tears of joy. Joe has worked so hard for us, to provide everything we need as players and teammates. Joe will do anything for us. We pushed really hard to get him (selected as head coach). He brings so much to our team, and we're really excited. He deserves this."

Renie_71.jpg

LAWSON RENIE
CURRENT TENNESSEE DEFENDER

LAWSON RENIE, CURRENT TENNESSEE DEFENDER
"Joe means so much to our team, and he is so deserving of this position. It's clear how passionate he is for our program and the University of Tennessee. Joe's genuine interest in both our development and our lives creates an amazing environment for the players. I'm so grateful for the search conducted by our athletic department, and I'm excited about the direction of our program. I can't wait to continue playing for Joe and Jon (Morgan) this fall."

I’m curious if anybody follows any women’s professional soccer, if so is it a team in the United States or Europe? Which is your favorite team or teams?

I’m curious if anybody follows any women’s professional soccer, if so is it a team in the United States or Europe? Which is your favorite team or teams?

I follow the Arsenal women's team--partly because Arsenal men and women have a long history of playing attractive, attacking soccer and partly because it has had in recent years a number of Dutch players and I'm a huge fan of the Dutch men and women's national teams because of their technical skills and playing style. I have lately started to follow Wolfsburg women's club for the same reason---it now has more Dutch players than Arsenal. I used to watch a lot of U.S. NWSL pro matches but you pretty much have to get a pay subscription to do so now and I've got enough pay subs as it is, so I just watch extended highlights.

The Champions League final between Barcelona and Lyon will be starting soon--Champions League is a huge deal in Europe. It will be well worth watching: Check out their Twitter sites or online for info on how to stream their matches. (Not sure if it will be free on some site or not. The UEFA site might broadcast it.) Lyon was the dominant team in women's soccer in Europe for several years--has won 4/5 CL titles--but Barcelona won it last year and will be the favorite this year, though it should be an excellent two-leg contest. Barcelona has been playing brilliantly and just thumping everybody for two years--also an amazing group of technical players who have played together for a long time and have preternatural chemistry on the field.

Reactions: MAD
I follow the Arsenal women's team--partly because Arsenal men and women have a long history of playing attractive, attacking soccer and partly because it has had in recent years a number of Dutch players and I'm a huge fan of the Dutch men and women's national teams because of their technical skills and playing style. I have lately started to follow Wolfsburg women's club for the same reason---it now has more Dutch players than Arsenal. I used to watch a lot of U.S. NWSL pro matches but you pretty much have to get a pay subscription to do so now and I've got enough pay subs as it is, so I just watch extended highlights.

The Champions League final between Barcelona and Lyon will be starting soon--Champions League is a huge deal in Europe. It will be well worth watching: Check out their Twitter sites or online for info on how to stream their matches. (Not sure if it will be free on some site or not. The UEFA site might broadcast it.) Lyon was the dominant team in women's soccer in Europe for several years--has won 4/5 CL titles--but Barcelona won it last year and will be the favorite this year, though it should be an excellent two-leg contest. Barcelona has been playing brilliantly and just thumping everybody for two years--also an amazing group of technical players who have played together for a long time and have preternatural chemistry on the field.
DAZN has been showing all of the UEFA women’s Champions League matches on YouTube for free this year. It was a big announcement back in October.

I did not dislike Pensky but was certainly not enoumered with him. Joe may get us up a level and Pensky may drop down a level but he is well paid!
I was surprised how nervous he was in the introductory press conference in Tallahassee today. The reception was so different than the Kirt one was yesterday in Knoxville.

Reactions: VolPack22
I was surprised how nervous he was in the introductory press conference in Tallahassee today. The reception was so different than the Kirt one was yesterday in Knoxville.

Didn't see the Pensky presser and I'm not going to watch it--but it was bound to be different. Nobody at FSU knows Pensky--he's effectively a stranger--whereas Kirt has been at UT for 15 years.

It's unusual for a new coach to be under early pressure--and yet both the veteran Pensky and the novice Kirt will definitely be facing high expectations this fall. Both men have experience and talented teams coming back. FSU won a national title and more than a few of its fans will expect a strong run at another title this year. Tennessee had one of its best seasons ever--didn't get as far in the NCAA as the '18 team but might have been better overall--and we're all eager for more of the same. It will be interesting to see how both teams perform. If the Vols can play well and have a strong season this year, Kirt will have kept the program momentum going and be on his way. He'll need a full array of top-coaching qualities to succeed--lots more than what we've heard thus far--and here's hoping he's got them.

Didn't see the Pensky presser and I'm not going to watch it--but it was bound to be different. Nobody at FSU knows Pensky--he's effectively a stranger--whereas Kirt has been at UT for 15 years.

It's unusual for a new coach to be under early pressure--and yet both the veteran Pensky and the novice Kirt will definitely be facing high expectations this fall. Both men have experience and talented teams coming back. FSU won a national title and more than a few of its fans will expect a strong run at another title this year. Tennessee had one of its best seasons ever--didn't get as far in the NCAA as the '18 team but might have been better overall--and we're all eager for more of the same. It will be interesting to see how both teams perform. If the Vols can play well and have a strong season this year, Kirt will have kept the program momentum going and be on his way. He'll need a full array of top-coaching qualities to succeed--lots more than what we've heard thus far--and here's hoping he's got them.
Sounds like a lot of the FSU players put their names in the portal before the May 1 deadline as a precaution.

UT hires soccer coach with a walk down the hall - Knox TN Today

So, was it a good hire? Unequivocally, yes.

The players clearly wanted Kirt as their head coach, so there won’t be a learning curve of getting to know each other. He already is familiar with the competitiveness of the SEC and has played a lead role in game management. Kirt was instrumental in securing the incoming No. 6-ranked 2022 signing class that will compete this fall. Had Kirt not been hired – and he earned the position – that signing class and the roster likely would have unraveled.

Kirt also said something that hasn’t been heard around soccer since Kelly left, and that’s the use of the term Lady Vols. The news release announcing his hiring used the words. The screen behind him at the presser had the Lady Vols logo. Kirt referred to Lady Vols alumni, as well as Vol Nation and the Vols.

I applauded the hire when it was made with no idea how Kirt felt about the logo, which had disappeared from the soccer program. He gets it. Welcome home, Joe.

UT hires soccer coach with a walk down the hall - Knox TN Today

So, was it a good hire? Unequivocally, yes.

The players clearly wanted Kirt as their head coach, so there won’t be a learning curve of getting to know each other. He already is familiar with the competitiveness of the SEC and has played a lead role in game management. Kirt was instrumental in securing the incoming No. 6-ranked 2022 signing class that will compete this fall. Had Kirt not been hired – and he earned the position – that signing class and the roster likely would have unraveled.

Kirt also said something that hasn’t been heard around soccer since Kelly left, and that’s the use of the term Lady Vols. The news release announcing his hiring used the words. The screen behind him at the presser had the Lady Vols logo. Kirt referred to Lady Vols alumni, as well as Vol Nation and the Vols.

I applauded the hire when it was made with no idea how Kirt felt about the logo, which had disappeared from the soccer program. He gets it. Welcome home, Joe.

Well, I'll have to disagree strongly about the logo and the Lady Vol name. I think they're both very outdated and should be retired. They're SO old-fashioned. They date back to, when, the 70s? Certainly the 80s. The word "lady" is outdated. Why do the women need their own name and logo? Everybody plays for same university. There was a time when a separate name/logo might have made sense--but for me that time has long since past. And this: How many other universities have a separate name/logo for their women's teams now? I can't think of one. Many used to--but dropped them.

And the logo? Oh, my--it is ancient and looks it. There is not a graphic designer in America who would look at the logo and say, yea, cool. It's not very strong looking--just the opposite, in fact, with the baby blue and swirly cursive typeface. In my opinion, those who want to hang on to the LV name and logo ared mainly those who still want to hang onto the Summitt era, and that era is over. I mean, there's no doubt that that's a big reason for the attachment of some/many to the name and logo. I'm not one for living in the past, so we'll have to disagree on this one.

Reactions: MAD
Well, I'll have to disagree strongly about the logo and the Lady Vol name. I think they're both very outdated and should be retired. They're SO old-fashioned. They date back to, when, the 70s? Certainly the 80s. The word "lady" is outdated. Why do the women need their own name and logo? Everybody plays for same university. There was a time when a separate name/logo might have made sense--but for me that time has long since past. And this: How many other universities have a separate name/logo for their women's teams now? I can't think of one. Many used to--but dropped them.

And the logo? Oh, my--it is ancient and looks it. There is not a graphic designer in America who would look at the logo and say, yea, cool. It's not very strong looking--just the opposite, in fact, with the baby blue and swirly cursive typeface. In my opinion, those who want to hang on to the LV name and logo ared mainly those who still want to hang onto the Summitt era, and that era is over. I mean, there's no doubt that that's a big reason for the attachment of some/many to the name and logo. I'm not one for living in the past, so we'll have to disagree on this one.
I prefer without it too, but it seems like I’m in the minority. If that’s what they want to be called I’m 100% on board.

The women that have worn the logo would strongly disagree with you. If you need evidence of it, ask any of them. I’m going to side with them on that one.

VN Store

Back