⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Florida State hires Tennessee's Brian Pensky as new head coach

“Florida State’s soccer program is regarded as one of if not the best in the country and rightfully so,” said Pensky. “The opportunity to be a part of this great program with the remarkable tradition is an honor. What Mark (Krikorian) did here over the last 17 years is unparalleled in our game. Simply put, he has been the best in the business.”

“But it is more than just the soccer program that attracted me. The status of the university as a top tier public institution academically is just as impressive as the athletic history. And, I have coached in the ACC and I know the strength of the league is second to none in the country.

“I take over the program with endless humility and understanding of the task at hand.”

Florida State hires Tennessee's Brian Pensky as new head coach

“Florida State’s soccer program is regarded as one of if not the best in the country and rightfully so,” said Pensky. “The opportunity to be a part of this great program with the remarkable tradition is an honor. What Mark (Krikorian) did here over the last 17 years is unparalleled in our game. Simply put, he has been the best in the business.”

“But it is more than just the soccer program that attracted me. The status of the university as a top tier public institution academically is just as impressive as the athletic history. And, I have coached in the ACC and I know the strength of the league is second to none in the country.

“I take over the program with endless humility and understanding of the task at hand.”
Hire the disgruntled former FSU coach!!!!!

Wow, Pensky is leaving UT for Florida State. Danny White is about to face one of the biggest early tests of his tenure at UT trying to hire a replacement.

I got the news from your post. When I first read it I thought this has to be a joke. Had just listened to an interview with Pensky a few days ago and he sounded so optimistic for the upcoming season.

Now that I’ve had time to let it sink in, I get why he took the job. FSU has a very prestigious soccer program, probably the best in the country. It’s definitely an honor and shows how great of coach Brian is.

This is what bothers me, Mark Krikorian left a legacy at FSU, he helped build that program into a dynasty (a la Mike Krzyzewski coach at Duke basketball), it will always be him that made FSU what it is today. I feel that Brian Pensky was headed in that same direction here at Tennessee.

That said, Tennessee has become a special program and it feels like the skies the limit, I hope the next coach can build on the success Brian Pensky leaves behind.

Wow, Pensky is leaving UT for Florida State. Danny White is about to face one of the biggest early tests of his tenure at UT trying to hire a replacement.
This happening makes me feel less confident about Tony Vitello staying at UT long term.

Wonder if White might nab the best young up-and-comer coach, and maybe get Krikorian to come for 1 year to mentor and help her/him make the full transition to national-program expectations?

Reactions: Volfan1000 and MAD
Wow: This sux, frankly. Pensky was turning the Vols into a genuinely strongly national program. We had our best team ever last year--one could argue the '18 team was equally good---and this year we could be even stronger, with all but one starter back. On a soccer board I follow, an FSU fan suggested a few days ago that the job might interest Pensky. I don't know if he knew something or not--but I laughed it off, partly because following Mark Krikorian at FSU will be like following John Wooden in basketball at UCLA. Krikorian has won 3 national titles in the last 8/10 years--but has been in the final four just about every year, and that's pretty damn hard, as collegiate soccer is competitive and the ACC is the nation's best conference.

Pensky will be roughly doubling his salary, it would seem--but I can't imagine that he or anybody will be able to maintain the level set by Krikorian. I view it as a "be careful what you wish for" job. To wit: If Pensky doesn't take the Noles to at least the Final Four (called the College Cup) this fall, Noles fans will consider it an unsuccessful season. But Pensky is ambitous--as we now see, and he's an excellent recruiter--so I wish him well even as I'm completely bummed because this could set back UT's program just when it was gaining serious momentum. Our AD--if he wants to continue the recent success of the program--will need to raise the pay of the head-coach position AND he will need to hire an excellent recruiter. A mediocre recruiter will not cut it. Our success comes from recruiting.

Here's another thing: Are Taylor Huff, Fusco, and others of our best players going to stay at UT or follow Pensky to FSU. The program is likely going to suffer from this development, I"m afraid. It will be interesting to see what associate coach Jon Morgan does now. He took over the Maryland job when Pensky left Maryland to become the UT coach. Morgan did not fare well at Maryland, was sacked after a few years--then joined Pensky here and has done a fine job in his, maybe, seven years here. Our other associate coach, Joe Kirt, as been on the staff even longer. I don't really think either of them will be hired to succeed Pensky. My bet is that Pensky will recommend Morgan for the job--as they are tight, it would seem. If he doesn't get the position, I fully expect him to go to FSU with Pensky. I haven't even read a news story on this yet. As I say, this is disappointing--but I can't blame Pensky for going for the brass ring.

VN Store

Back