⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Thanks. So no chance it's going to be on espn+ or ACC+?

I"m afraid not. I just checked ESPN's schedule for this evening and, to my surprise, there actually is an NCAA soccer match listed--Radford vs. VMI! That's the only one.

SEC+ and ACC+ matches are typically (maybe always) broadcasts produced by the home team--usually with only 1 camera and a pair of announcers (play by play and analyst) who are probably paid a nominal amount of money. They are not bad--not great, but better than nothing. Some of our announcers have been young and clearly haven't had a lot of broadcast experience--and even less calling soccer matches. ACC+ broadcasts tend to be a bit better because their announcers are more experienced and more conversant with soccer. This match is at a neutral site--somewhere in Louisville, maybe the Univ. of Louisville but not sure--and no one there is going to broadcast it.

Saturday's exhibition match against Dayton is at home, so UT could broadcast it. I can't remember if we've broadcast home exhibition games in recent years. I want to say that we have, but don't hold me to that. We'll find out on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

T
I"m afraid not. I just checked ESPN's schedule for this evening and, to my surprise, there actually is an NCAA soccer match listed--Radford vs. VMI! That's the only one.

SEC+ and ACC+ matches are typically (maybe always) broadcasts produced by the home team--usually with only 1 camera and a pair of announcers (play by play and analyst) who are probably paid a nominal amount of money. They are not bad--not great, but better than nothing. Some of our announcers have been young and clearly haven't had a lot of broadcast experience--and even less calling soccer matches. ACC+ broadcasts tend to be a bit better because their announcers are more experienced and more conversant with soccer. This match is at a neutral site--somewhere in Louisville, maybe the Univ. of Louisville but not sure--and no one there is going to broadcast it.

Saturday's exhibition match against Dayton is at home, so UT could broadcast it. I can't remember if we've broadcast home exhibition games in recent years. I want to say that we have, but don't hold me to that. We'll find out on Saturday. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m not even sure if fans will be allowed to watch, a few people mentioned trying to go, would be nice to get a report.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Georgia will surely be better under new coach McAlpine, who arrives from Southern Cal. Seem to be already after the result above.
That said, Duke was missing its best player and scorer, Michelle Cooper, a strong, agile center forward, who is off playing with the U.S. U20
national team in the U20 World Cup. She may not be available for our match with Duke, either, unless the U.S. U20 is eliminated earlier than expected.
I read where these teams played 3 30 minute periods as opposed to 2 45s.

Georgia plays at FSU in its second regular season match. It's going to be an interesting year for Pensky and the Noles--potentially a tough year. At least six of FSU's best players who would be veteran starters this year are gone--most leaving as a result of Krikorian's resignation.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Vols going with a seldom-used 3-5-2 formation. Lots of teams in recent years have moved from the traditional four defenders in the back approach to a three-player back line, which enables you to add a player to the midfield and, it is hoped, more effectively control the midfield. Tennessee never played with 3 in the back under Pensky, but before leaving he noted that the Vols had started experimenting with the formation in the spring, with positive results. With 5 midfielders, you can play both Huff and Fusco as more central attacking mids behind our two forwards.

The big changes are 1) There is no George at right forward. I hope this doesn't mean that she's injured, as she'd of course be lined up next to Thomas up front. If she's not starting, I'd guess that she's not going to play at all, for some reason. Whatever it is, let's hope it's minor. Maddy Eskiin has replaced her. Eskin is speedy, can dribble and is pretty tough. She started her UT career as a forward but played as a wide midfielder last year. She really hasn't played much forward, but she's got qualities so we'll see how that goes.

With a 5 player midfield, Maria Nelson has earned her way back into the starting lineup and is playing on the right in midfield. She played this position some last year, coming in as a sub, though in a 4-player midfield.

With 3 back-line defenders, there is a little more pressure on Katz to be a defensive stopper on the right. It is similar to the outside back position she played last year, but in this formation I don't think she'll get forward as often and as effectively as she did last year as she, Renie and Rain are our last line of defense.

In the last couple of days, Notre Dame did not post a word about the tonight's exhibition--nothing on website, no tweets, zero. I found it rather bizarre. Not that I expect any team to make a big deal of an exhibition; still, it's something. In contrast, Duke had a story on its match with Georgia that was no different from a regular-season game story (though no statistics).

Nice win, and while only an exhibition, it follows victories that we had in the spring over both Clemson and Virginia Tech, which like Notre Dame, are solidly in the 2nd tier off the super-strong ACC. None of the wins have been official, of course, but every win builds confidence.

RE Simmonds: I saw some video of her after she committed and was impressed--athletic, strong, and can score.

Let's hope all is well with George. She must have some sort of knock if she didn't play. Hope it's more precautionary than anything.

Tennessee Wins Exhibition Match Against Notre Dame, 3-0

2E07DFA1-E613-4BC5-8F77-31A8CCA9D7CB.jpeg

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The preseason 11th-ranked Lady Vols picked up an exhibition win over 16th-ranked Notre Dame on Tuesday, winning 3-0 at Lynn Family Sports Vision and Training Center in Louisville.

The contest was played as three 30-minute periods with unlimited subs allowed. Twenty-six Tennessee players took the field with 10 seeing their first collegiate action, including eight freshmen and redshirt-freshmen Jenna Stayart and Ally Zazzara.

The first period ended in a 0-0 draw, but Tennessee took the lead in the 33rd minute when 5th-year senior Abbey Burdette headed in a corner kick from senior Claudia Dipasupil. Burdette struck again four minutes later, getting a head on a set piece and bouncing it into the net off a Notre Dame defender.

Tennessee held the Fighting Irish without a shot on goal until the 68th minute when junior MacKenzie Haba logged a save on a well-struck ball up the middle.

Freshman Kameron Simmonds added UT's third and final goal in the 72nd minute, slotting a shot into the side net off an assist by fellow rookie Macaira Midgley.

Notre Dame got a couple looks late in the game, but freshman Abby Reisz was there to collect two saves, and Tennessee went on to record the shutout.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will host Dayton in an exhibition match at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday at Regal Soccer Stadium.

VN Store

Back