⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Hope all is well! Here is my observation (ignorant spectator waiver in effect 😀).

When watching the team play from the highest vantage point, one glaring assessment becomes evident, we have no 'shape'. WF had a very disciplined shape that was still very dynamic and filled with players that were constantly moving and looking for opportunity to attack. Our shape was very haphazard (especially in the midfield) and always taking on a reactive, tactic. Can't win games that way. A lot of unnecessary pressure is being put on a really good back line that must compensate for our disorganized midfield (poor shape or wrong shape - a coaching issue I believe ). This leads to defenders being split, pourous defensive line moments (luckily we have a pretty athletic back line that can cover the gaps), unmarked players and very static/confused movement from the middle third of the field. Seems like the players in the midfield are being set up for failure by the coaching staff - I can't quite put my finger on the problem. Also, players are not stepping to the ball to receive or intercept passes, field players literally stand still on throw in restarts (leaves no viable options to maintain possession- WF would have 4-5 players moving to create space for a throw in--the throw in is a two way street), up top needs to improve first touches (and that's not all), and we don't use the peripheral of the field at all! Which is weird considering the outside of the field gives us the best forward movement and contributed to an SEC championship win.

Basically, coaches should maybe come up to the press box to watch the game and make tactical changes. Right now the tactic seems, well, very myopic in nature.

So, we looked confused and half the squad looks out of shape. Now, we have the talent and the ability to perform - for sure. We desperately need vision for the whole field (not just 1/3rd at a time), leadership on the field, better coaching vision/adjustment, and blood/sweat/tears conditioning. Oh- we need a #6 to bring 'law and order ' to the game. The #6 piece is a huge problem and is creating absolute chaos in an essential part of the field- I mean - the #6 literally controls a critical transition zone in effective tactical play. And, 'Oh, Oh' up top - needs attackers. The back line is good to go. The midfield has the talent just needs movement fixed (and make players play at a Midgley pace!), but the up top is in desperate need of fixin. If Coach is gonna chase players in the next portal opening, it's got to be attackers that have great first touches and drive to the net. But I doubt any are left. We have 4 months to get ready. Again, talent is here, need some solid coaching that allows our talented players to shine!!

Thanks the analysis. So what formation did we play---3 in the back or 4? Three in the midfield? Who started the game for us?
Who played the 6 and the 8 to start the game? Yes, the 6 is crucial position--and one that Kirt got comically, obviously wrong to start last season--one of at least two/maybe three lame decisions with respect to starters. Who started the game at forward?

Did any of the younger players look promising? What did you think of the PA state transfer midfielder?
Details, details!

Can Barr help us this year?

I'll be surprised if, come the fall, the German Oklahoma transfer, is not playing the 6 for us. Solid player, from what I've observed on tape.

The top six or so programs in the ACC have the strongest collection of coaches in the country. I'm pretty sure we are not at the same level. I've seen WF play a number of times--I saw our game at Wake several years ago when we had a very strong team ('18, maybe, with Cousins, Bialczak, etc.)--a 1-1 tie. You know what would have been a smart move by White when Pensky retired? Try to hire Tony de Luz away from Wake. An excellent coach whose teams, as one person put it correctly, are "always technically and tactically proficient." Has been at WF, I read, for 26 years. Damn, that is a long time. Got to be ready for a change of scenery! As mentioned, he and his teams tend to get overlooked because they've struggled to get to the top of the conference mountain occupied by perennial powers UNC, FSU, UVA, along with Duke. Just the kind of coach the program needs. Would do very well in the SEC. But I digress...

Reactions: MAD
Great job with the interview, I hope you interview more players from the team.
Dude, thank you so much for this message. You'll think I'm exaggerating when I say this, but I said to my wife this morning, "why do I waste my time doing episodes like these when they don't get as much attention as when I interview a high school athlete?" I was frustrated because of the lack of response.
I was literally opening Volnation on my phone as I said that, and then I read this. So thank you!

I'd be curious to know how much money Cousins is making in the Iceland pro league.

....Actually, I just googled it and it seems that footballers in the Iceland pro league average in the 40K--45K range. Pretty low, especially
for a country that is expensive.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back