Tennessee set up better for long term success then Bama/UGA

Agree with premise. But gotta out recruit them or it doesn’t matter.

Why Tennessee is set up better for longterm success than Alabama or Georgia
This is a very old discussion. "Out recruiting" them doesn't necessarily mean taking players they want away from them. It does not mean beating them in the "recruiting rankings" (at least not until Heupel gets credibility with the recruiting sites). It means getting the right players in the right numbers and developing them at an elite level.

Heupel proved this year that he does not need "equal" talent to beat very talented teams. According to 247, UT had the 19th most talented roster in CFB. I think we all know that depth was an issue. However the Vols beat Bama 247's #1 most talented team, Clemson #5, LSU #8, UF #14, UK #26, and Mizzou #31. The Vols lost to UGA #2 and USCe #21. My guess is that few if any played against that much talent much less beat that many teams with "more talent".

Heupel can flat out coach.

Great coaches find a way regardless of overall talent. However, to maintain it, you need the talent to improve. Heupel did a fantastic job this season but we are not surprising anyone next year nor are they taking us lightly. We must spend more on recruiting and start getting those 4* and 5 * guys lined up. Sonny Dykes did an amazing job too, but if I were to bet I would say TCU takes a couple steps back this coming season.
Imagine what Heupel could do with the level of talent uga and bama get year over year.

Agree with premise. But gotta out recruit them or it doesn’t matter.

Why Tennessee is set up better for longterm success than Alabama or Georgia

I wholly disagree with the premise, so much so that I'm almost irritated by how easily it can be twisted. If Josh Heupel is such a blessing for Tennessee when it comes to the impact of finding offensive coordinators, then why aren't Alabama and Georgia given similar evaluations for dealing with defensive hires? Saban and Smart are both defensive-minded and defense-oriented coaches. By the same logic that article uses to award Tennessee such a status, one could do the same for Georgia and Alabama on the other side of the ball. Why is it any different? Meh. Just doesn't add up to me. Feels like a very big reach.

Last edited:
I wholly disagree with the premise, so much so that I'm almost irritated by how easily it can be twisted. If Josh Heupel is such a blessing for Tennessee when it comes to finding offensive coordiators, then why aren't Alabama and Georgia given similar evaluations for dealing with defensive hires? Saban and Smart are both defensive-minded and defense-oriented coaches. By the same logic that article uses to award Tennessee such a status, one could do the same for Georgia and Alabama on the other side of the ball. Why is it any different? Meh. Just doesn't add up to me. Feels like a very big reach.
I would have said the same thing before I read the article and thought about it. But, the point the article makes is: it doesn't matter how good your defense is, if you can't score 35-40 pts., you aren't likely to beat the Vols under Heupel because they will outscore you more often than not, even if you have an elite D.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I knew this was an AtoZ article before I even clicked on the link. That guy writes some of the laziest click bait articles I've ever seen.

Yep, I went to the comments to see this before giving the man a click. Not a fan of his style.

I would have said the same thing before I read the article and thought about it. But, the point the article makes is: it doesn't matter how good your defense is, if you can't score 35-40 pts., you aren't likely to beat the Vols under Heupel because they will outscore you more often than not, even if you have an elite D.
Which team with an elite defense has been outscored by Heupel thus far?

Great coaches find a way regardless of overall talent. However, to maintain it, you need the talent to improve. Heupel did a fantastic job this season but we are not surprising anyone next year nor are they taking us lightly. We must spend more on recruiting and start getting those 4* and 5 * guys lined up. Sonny Dykes did an amazing job too, but if I were to bet I would say TCU takes a couple steps back this coming season.
Imagine what Heupel could do with the level of talent uga and bama get year over year.

So essentially, according to you there are only 2-3 great coaches.

History disagrees and while his point is well taken, UGA has a tremendous recruiting base. At the end of the day, it's the Jimmie's and Joe's that carry the day. Hard for us to compete with that at the moment.
You gotta steal a game every now and then, we beat Bama this season and I thought we might get Georgia too but it didn’t happen, we will have a great chance to get them in neyland this November. Yea they still got more talent but it’s not like we got TCU level talent either.

This is a very old discussion. "Out recruiting" them doesn't necessarily mean taking players they want away from them. It does not mean beating them in the "recruiting rankings" (at least not until Heupel gets credibility with the recruiting sites). It means getting the right players in the right numbers and developing them at an elite level.

Heupel proved this year that he does not need "equal" talent to beat very talented teams. According to 247, UT had the 19th most talented roster in CFB. I think we all know that depth was an issue. However the Vols beat Bama 247's #1 most talented team, Clemson #5, LSU #8, UF #14, UK #26, and Mizzou #31. The Vols lost to UGA #2 and USCe #21. My guess is that few if any played against that much talent much less beat that many teams with "more talent".

Heupel can put up great offenses without out recruiting. Defense? Different story. Be interesting to see if we take a step in defense this year.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

I think we may end up looking pretty good on D this year too :)

I have an elite D

I can’t say I agree with this article bc I think much does come down to recruiting and talent level as you guys have said. However, I can’t deny CJH’s offensive prowess. Nico looks like he may be a stud QB and if the right guys are around him who knows? If Milton gets right who knows? Milton certainly has the arm for potential success.

I’m a huge CFB fan but just a fan. I played high level high school football in South GA in the late 90’s and have since just been a big fan, so I know a little but mostly from a fans experience.

IMHO, the quickest way for TN to really threaten the CFB world again, like they did last season, is to build a dominate O-line. Yes you need a good QB and a strong defense also. But if not Milton, I truly think Nico might be special. Kinda jealous on that front. You put Nico+CJH+a great O-line together and that could be special. TN is going to recruit or already has some great skill guys to go along. I’m not sure how you guys look on Defense in the future, but I’m certainly worried about your offense.

Which team with an elite defense has been outscored by Heupel thus far?
Alabama, Clemson and UK were all in the top 30 and most of the schools ahead of them didn't play against teams with offenses the likes of UT, Ole Miss, LSU and UGA. So, I do agree with the article. Keep in mind also that the Vols had little depth at most every position. They lost a ton of talented starters to the transfer portal, among them a 5* offensive lineman, a 4* DB, two 4* RBs. As the roster is replenished, the Vols will be among the most feared teams in the country. It's our time! 2024 and beyond!

Last edited:

I think this is true for the most part. . I think he needs elite talent on the o line and at qb. We do need elite talent on defense and he’s working on it.

So essentially, according to you there are only 2-3 great coaches.
There aren't many, honestly. Kirby should be dominating with the wealth of talent. Same for Saban. It takes greatness to get and keep those guys, but to me a truly great coach gets the absolute most from whoever is on the field at any given time. I would say Heupel did a better coaching job this past season than either Smart or Saban.

VN Store

Back