Tennessee Rugby won the national title

The seldom used drop kick in American gridiron football is one of the few hold-overs from rugby. Johnny Majors was the last great drop kicker at Tennessee. Per Majors, George Cafego was a great drop kicker too.

Reactions: krichunaka
Sure...but in my mind...Rugby is a more respectable sport than Mens "Communist Kickball"

giphy.gif
Yeah you have to watch out for those English communists.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
That would be awesome if it counted as a recognized NCAA title
Most club sports do have a governing body/organization, not all are over-watched by the NCAA. Just because it is not the NCAA and some other org doesn’t make it any less special to the student athletes. Title IX forced a lot of programs to become club sports all around the country. As someone that has spent my career working in academia, including coaching club sports, I can guarantee you that the rugby players are just as every bit as happy as a football player would be winning a National championship. Probably even more so since they are doing it purely for love of the game, not for a scholarship, not for a free ride, not for an NIL, and most likely not for a shot at going pro.

Not a real one? LMFAO! I'd like to see your weak @$$ say that to the team.
Again it’s nothing to do with the sport or team it’s just not even an actual UT team. No different from 20 non UT students playing in a park

Again it’s nothing to do with the sport or team it’s just not even an actual UT team. No different from 20 non UT students playing in a park
But it is different, lol. They have a governing body along with a commissioner and rules and by laws and everything, lol. They can get funding from the university schools/departments and clubs to cover costs.

I am very familiar with the hockey team and have followed them for years. I can assure you that they are students, are authorized by the university, and even receive a small amount of financial backing from the university. The scenario that you posted here is not at all accurate.

I am very familiar with the hockey team and have followed them for years. I can assure you that they are students, are authorized by the university, and even receive a small amount of financial backing from the university. The scenario that you posted here is not at all accurate.
UT claims 23 national titles in all sports. That has not and will not change with the club sports

UT claims 23 national titles in all sports. That has not and will not change with the club sports
You might be right about how many effs the university gives, but they are not just a group of non students playing in a park. The club sports are a university sanctioned group of athletic programs for students. My nephew plays golf in one of those programs.

You might be right about how many effs the university gives, but they are not just a group of non students playing in a park. The club sports are a university sanctioned group of athletic programs for students. My nephew plays golf in one of those programs.
But UT actually has a golf team. I’m not diminishing your nephew or these other athletes but club sports and travel and rec sports aren’t the same level as NCAA sanctioned sports. It would be like Clement Hall playing for a “national title” against Western Kentucky Kappa Alpha in a 3 on 3 basketball tourney and claiming it’s legit

VN Store

Back