Tennessee remains #1 in both polls

It college it only matters what happens in a winner take all single game but I think it's fun to look at and discuss the strength of teams and guess the outcome if 10 games were played on neutral sites.

Here is the way I see it.

Duke beats us 6 out of 10 times
Virginia-Gonzaga is a 5 to 5 split
We beat Kentucky and unc 6 of 10 games
No one else beats us more than 3 of 10 games

JMO

We did fall to #2 in the coveted ESPN power rankings. Per ESPN Duke is better than us in every measure except for that pesky win-loss record. You know what all that means? Not a damn thing. We will see what’s up come March. I’d love to see Duke and our Vols lock up in the title game. A lot of ball left though so we shall see.
I agree. It'd be great to see our experienced guys go up against their youth and to have Admiral go against Zion, or to see Bone against Jones. I hope both teams play out their respective seasons and get those #1 seeds and then face off either final four or better yet championship game. I believe it would be the best game of the college season. Go Vols!!!

Nice to see Vols on top another week. This is a huge week with first South Carolina at home...do not sleep on this game. Then KY at their place where we should hopefully see another great game. I remember our win in Lexington last year. Hope to see another one this year. Go Vols!!!

It college it only matters what happens in a winner take all single game but I think it's fun to look at and discuss the strength of teams and guess the outcome if 10 games were played on neutral sites.

Here is the way I see it.

Duke beats us 6 out of 10 times
Virginia-Gonzaga is a 5 to 5 split
We beat Kentucky and unc 6 of 10 games
No one else beats us more than 3 of 10 games

JMO
Interesting stuff. Sounds good.

Interesting stuff. Sounds good.

If the national title was decided the same way as the NBA playoffs we would be a huge favorite to make it to the final four

It's really why I hate and love March madness. The body of work doesn't matter much for that 2 hour time period. I really really hate how the smaller conferences award that automatic bid

Reactions: cardvolfan
and then Gonzaga jumped Kansas after beating Duke
That shows it isn't necessarily strange to see it in Nov. and early Dec. as teams jockey for position at the top of the polls by posting impressive early season wins. It is much more rare to see it in Jan. or Feb., once conference play starts, and voters have an idea of what each team really is.

Reactions: walkenvol
That shows it isn't necessarily strange to see it in Nov. and early Dec. as teams jockey for position at the top of the polls by posting impressive early season wins. It is much more rare to see it in Jan. or Feb., once conference play starts, and voters have an idea of what each team really is.
Exactly. Tennessee is getting love FROM EVERYWHERE. Duke was never going to pass then this week. The inferiority complex so many have is asinine. Kentucky is getting so much love for two reasons: they’re playing REALLY good basketball AND to build up Saturday’s big game that’s on... ESPN!

I watch games every night and no teams are getting more love than Tennessee and Duke.

The #1 overall seed in the tournament means a bunch, it means home field advantage the 1st 2 weekends. Do you understand that reasoning?
It makes sense if you post the NET rankings which are actually used as a committee tool for seeding teams but it isn't a poll and it isn't the final authority. They may or may not seed teams based on the NET rankings. The ESPN and AP polls are just there to keep you interested. Totally a marketing scheme. A lot of the voters for those polls are completely clueless about basketball. If I were to rank the #1 team right now it would be Duke because of the # of teams they've beat in the top 15 RPI. if TN beats Kentucky at home then it's TN.

and then Gonzaga jumped Kansas after beating Duke
Early season polls have more movement as the voters figure out each team. Early in the year there is not much to go on. Another reason to play top teams early in the year.

I'm not sure you understand what "homefield advantage" means.
I know exactly what it means, come tournament time it means being placed in the closest region to your school thus more fans, it means an easier draw as the #5 overall seed cannot be in #1s region. It's a huge homefield advantage playing in Louisville as opposed to out west somewhere. Not sure you understand the word advantage.

I’m glad we are still #1. I don’t think this team needs any more motivation than what they are getting from CRB. When our shots are falling we are impossible to beat. When their shots are falling and our’s aren’t we just move inside to GW and change the game to our advantage and then shoot our way out of the funk.

We’ll see.

I like our chances.

I am glad we are almost done with the scrub teams on our schedule so we can show the pollsters what we are all about.

Reactions: Caculator
Proud of these guys and CRB. They are #1 and winners in more ways than basketball. It is fun to watch the type basketball this team plays. GBO!

Reactions: OneVolNation
Jay Bilas (while calling the UVA-UNC game) stating Tennessee and Duke are the best built teams to win a title with Kentucky coming alive. Man, the disrespect is awful

In both coaches and AP poll, and wasn’t really even that close. Tennessee received 30/32 votes in coaches poll after going 32/32 last week, received 40 first place AP Votes after getting 48 last week, Duke has half of that at 24.
As they should have remained.
51 straight days we have woken up to Tennessee being #1. Relishing every second.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Make no mistake, I will be rooting for LSU heavily against UK. It’s about the SEC too. I want to be up two games before we play them

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back