Tennessee QB records as a starter since 1980

In the very early weeks of Coach P's tenure of HC at UT, he was asked in an interview about the importance of the quarterback position. He quickly replied, in general terms, that the position was not any more important than any other position. You all and correct my memory.

I don't believe he would make a similar statement today..........
He thinks he still has Bama’s supporting cast.

Reactions: 08Vol
To get rid of the one offs...here it is listed with multi year starters listed by winning %

Player-----------------------W% Games
Tee Martin------------------ 88%----25
Peyton Manning------------87%----45
Heath Shuler--------------- 79%----24
Andy Kelly------------------ 77%----31
Casey Clausen --------------77%----44
Tony Robinson--------------69%----16
Erik Ainge-------------------68%----37
Josh Dobbs----------------- 66%----35
Alan Cockrell----------------65%----26
Jeff Francis------------------61%----36
Tyler Bray------------------- 54%----24
Jonathan Crompton--------50%----20
Jarrett Guarantano--------- 35%----26
Well, this isn't shocking at all.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I remember being in third down situations and not even caring no matter the distance. We had the ability on offense to gain any yardage necessary. CP was amazing to watch. EDIT: Unfortunately, our defense was the same way, no matter the distance, 3rd and Sunseri.
On 3rd/4th down that year, the question wasn't if the opposing offense was going to convert, it was how many yards and if they'd get a TD or not.

Reactions: VOLinAL
Yep. I know the family and had an insider's angle on that battle. Heath had more physical talent but the mental part came easier to Jerry. They were friends and Colquitt helped Heath with the playbook iirc even after Heath became the starter. I think an opportunity for Jerry may have also played into Heath's decision to leave early.
And Jerry got some coaching/assistant work out of the experience.

Reactions: sjt18
Some things are great about that list and some are depressing. Perhaps the most depressing is realizing we actually had a game where that D2 quarterback Will McBride started for us.

Like some others, I've been around for this entire list. Although I was very young with the first two. it had slipped my mind over time just how good Casey Clausen's record was with us. Also Ainge and Dobbs had almost the same identical record. Didn't realize that. Good info, op.

To get rid of the one offs...here it is listed with multi year starters listed by winning %

Only QB with a losing record says it all.

Man we were spoiled having Peyton, Tee and Iceman back-to-back-to-back. That run of successful QBs will probably never be duplicated in our program.
Harrison Bailey, Ty Simpson and Arch Manning would tell you to hold their beers...if they were old enough.😎
GBO!!

My bad; I was thinking of Jimmy Colquitt.

He was an AA fifth year senior started 1st game vs UCLA got hurt a high school looking Freshman PM came in. They applied for 6th year for JC were turned down on Medical RS, He was drafted by Carolina Panthers in 6th round. Did not make the team.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Bray had so much potential to do great things here, he was just a victim of time and circumstances

Man we were spoiled having Peyton, Tee and Iceman back-to-back-to-back. That run of successful QBs will probably never be duplicated in our program.

The key position
You start with finding the best QB's in the Nation get as many as you can. In 1994 we had 2 of the best in Manning and Brandon Stewart. BS transferred to A&M and helped UT get in the National Championship game by beating K State in 1998 B 12 championship. The Manning win years had everybody wanting to be a VOL ergo Tee & Clausen
Bama used to do it with game manager QB's It don't work unless you have 5 star type players everywhere else.
We've tried the Bama old style for 3 years. Even Saban has evolved.

Reactions: 08Vol
Josh Dobbs will go down as one of the most under appreciated QBs at UT, maybe even the conference
Kelly, Dobbs, Clausen, Bray, Ainge. Are all under appreciated because we have a large section of our fan base that are ignorant and say “remember when he threw that interception” or “remember when he didn’t shake my hand at the Vol walk”

I've seen all but the first two on this list play and have to say that the records pretty much sum up that you are what your record says you are.
Well, they say what your team is. Olszewski's record doesn't look good but he was tough as nails and I would take him as our Qb right now. Same for Cockrell.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Name that tune.

The only remotely possible group is WR... and UT is much deeper this year. The OL had two walk ons and a 275 lb RS Fr with a painkiller problem. Hardesty was the only RB and his knees were gone.

I'll give you Stocker. He was a more complete TE than any on this team that we know of.

Where do you disagree?
On the OL he played w 3 future NFLers, Jacques McClendon, Ramon Foster and Chris Scott. He also had on the offense Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, Bryce Brown, Denarius Moore, and Luke Stocker

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back