Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey enters NCAA transfer portal

I think Bailey was screwed in this sense: he signed on here expecting to play in Pruitt's system. CJH came in and installed a system that Bailey doesn't really fit. That's not what Bailey signed on for. He needs to go some place where they play a pro set. I wish him the best but we can't use him here
A system...that passes a lot? With deep shots?

That said, it wasn't perfect for him. Requires quick decision making and (optimally) quick releases.

Bailey needs a slower system - play action slow developing one-read plays ideally. That said - it wasn't exactly a bad system for him if he could've learned to speed things up. But he couldn't it seems.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
My guess is Bailey wants to see the field. I don't see him signing up to compete with Nussmeier and 5-star freshman Walker Howard. I'm thinking Georgia Tech.
Ga Tech would be big for him if he can get them. Though I really think he could shine and get a shot to start at a G5. A highly talented G5 program would be closer to what he was used to in HS - having more talent around him than opposing teams and an overall slower game that he can develop against.

A system...that passes a lot? With deep shots?

That said, it wasn't perfect for him. Requires quick decision making and (optimally) quick releases.

Bailey needs a slower system - play action slow developing one-read plays ideally. That said - it wasn't exactly a bad system for him if he could've learned to speed things up. But he couldn't it seems.
Quick decision making ? How on earth did Milton come out #1 then?

I think people are selectively remembering what our games looked like. Most of the time, it looked like there was one passing option and the rest was eye candy or rubs. Option 2 was QB run. There is a dumb stigma about identifying a black QBs as a dual threat. Matt Corral ran 145 times for 591 yards and everyone recognizes him as a dual threat. HH ran the ball 148 times for 561 yards but we’re not supposed to call him a dual threat according to some. Everyone recognizes that HB is not a dual threat. It’s easy to connect the dots.

I think people are selectively remembering what our games looked like. Most of the time, it looked like there was one passing option and the rest was eye candy or rubs. Option 2 was QB run. There is a dumb stigma about identifying a black QBs as a dual threat. Matt Corral ran 145 times for 591 yards and everyone recognizes him as a dual threat. HH ran the ball 148 times for 561 yards but we’re not supposed to call him a dual threat according to some. Everyone recognizes that HB is not a dual threat. It’s easy to connect the dots.

Hendon Hooker has always been considered a dual-threat QB, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the color of his skin.

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee, Quarterback

Hendon Hooker's High School Football Stats

I think Bailey was screwed in this sense: he signed on here expecting to play in Pruitt's system. CJH came in and installed a system that Bailey doesn't really fit. That's not what Bailey signed on for. He needs to go some place where they play a pro set. I wish him the best but we can't use him here
Heupel would have designed the system around his skills if he had been the best passer. He's not a runner and that didn't help him. But there's a myth believed by several that he was the best passer. Everyone who observed said he wasn't.

He was a better version of JG and there are only a few O's nationwide that can make that skill set work.

Unless you have special access... none of us here observed practice. Those who did glowed about they guy's decision making. He apparently looked great in practice in August both physically and mentally. We've seen great practice not translate to games. Thankfully his tenure didn't last long before HH showed what he could do.

Reactions: Hairy Vols
It's a system of more than quick decisions. First of all, pretty much no pre-snap decisions are made by the QB. You take what the sideline is giving you. The QB also does not have to go through progressions. The system is to look at one...maybe 2 reads, and if that's not there, tuck it and run. That's not best for HB's skills

It's a system of more than quick decisions. First of all, pretty much no pre-snap decisions are made by the QB.
That's actually not true according to what Heupel himself said. All of the reads are more limited than most systems. They trade speed for complexity. Part of the reason they spread out so much is to make pre-snap reads easier.

You take what the sideline is giving you.
That is far, far more true of the more traditional O's. In the previous system, most major adjustments or play changes were signaled in.

The QB also does not have to go through progressions.
That's not universally true either. ALL RPO's are designed with a run read and a throw option. UT ran a lot of RPO's. The rest of the playbook is not tremendously different from what others run. UT spreads more and runs faster. That's the biggest differences.

The system is to look at one...maybe 2 reads, and if that's not there, tuck it and run. That's not best for HB's skills
You're trying to build an excuse for him. It appears his decision making was slower than the others. But that was overall and not just on RPO's and plays with limited reads.

Reactions: perico
First off Bailey wasn’t my first choice for starting QB at Tennessee. I actually thought Milton would have performed better that he actually did. I am thrilled Hooker stepped up and led us to numerous victories. After reading a lot of the posts in this thread, it’s like a great many of you hope Bailey fails wherever he ends up. Granted it didn’t work out here for him but good luck to the young man wherever he lands. At one time he actually wanted to come to Tennessee and represent the University. Best of luck to the young man.

Milton was promised the starting role by Heupel to get him to transfer here. That’s how big name transfers work. Heupel started him based on that, not practice. That’s also why he stayed second string. Bailey might not have been better than him anyway, but to think Milton’s place on this team is anything other than recruiting promises is to kid yourself. It hurts future recruiting if Milton was promised the starting role and then sits the bench all season, transfers and tells everyone that Heup lied to him. Fortunately, Heup was able to fulfill his promise and play the better qb who helped us to a great season.

Recruiting promises are also probably why Milton got playing time at Michigan. Both UT and Michigan had much better years this year without him on the field than with him on the field.

That's actually not true according to what Heupel himself said. All of the reads are more limited than most systems. They trade speed for complexity. Part of the reason they spread out so much is to make pre-snap reads easier.

That is far, far more true of the more traditional O's. In the previous system, most major adjustments or play changes were signaled in.

That's not universally true either. ALL RPO's are designed with a run read and a throw option. UT ran a lot of RPO's. The rest of the playbook is not tremendously different from what others run. UT spreads more and runs faster. That's the biggest differences.

You're trying to build an excuse for him. It appears his decision making was slower than the others. But that was overall and not just on RPO's and plays with limited reads.

There is pretty no audibilizing at the LOS, that's my point. Audibles allow the defense time to get organized and all and this system doesn't want that. The RPOs you mention are a simple 2 choice decision by the QB. HB is not a candidate for RPOs cause he can't run

HB needs a system where he sits in a pocket and throws darts to any of 4 or 5 receiver options. That said, I would not be surprised if HB is/was overrated. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and how he does

Milton was promised the starting role by Heupel to get him to transfer here. That’s how big name transfers work. Heupel started him based on that, not practice. That’s also why he stayed second string. Bailey might not have been better than him anyway, but to think Milton’s place on this team is anything other than recruiting promises is to kid yourself. It hurts future recruiting if Milton was promised the starting role and then sits the bench all season, transfers and tells everyone that Heup lied to him. Fortunately, Heup was able to fulfill his promise and play the better qb who helped us to a great season.

Recruiting promises are also probably why Milton got playing time at Michigan. Both UT and Michigan had much better years this year without him on the field than with him on the field.
False Milton didn’t play terrible in games he just missed the deep ball which by all accounts he was hitting in practice… bright lights effect each person differently I think they cause joe to increase his adrenaline and put a lil more on the ball… very ignorant take to say heup just gave Milton the job if you look at how the team played hard for one another and the culture that is being built it would not be like that if heup just gave the job away… the team thought Milton would hit the deep ball like he did in practice it didn’t happen hooker stepped in made the plays and never looked back… stop with the silly false narratives please

False Milton didn’t play terrible in games he just missed the deep ball which by all accounts he was hitting in practice… bright lights effect each person differently I think they cause joe to increase his adrenaline and put a lil more on the ball… very ignorant take to say heup just gave Milton the job if you look at how the team played hard for one another and the culture that is being built it would not be like that if heup just gave the job away… the team thought Milton would hit the deep ball like he did in practice it didn’t happen hooker stepped in made the plays and never looked back… stop with the silly false narratives please

You’re right, a new coach promising a starting position to a former starter on a P5 team is a silly narrative, but your ‘Milton was Joe Burrow and Jesus in practice’ but ran out of bounds at the end of a real game makes Heup look like an idiot coach. Your narrative doesn’t fit with what we’ve seen from Heup (or anyone in the world outside of Jeremy Pruitt). My narrative fits with what many coaches do around the country, and explains why Heup went with Milton over a clearly superior Hooker.

You keep believing that our ball coach is an idiot about qbs and I’ll believe that there was a recruiting promise made, kept, and fixed by our qb-whispering ball coach.

Reactions: Vol 67
You’re right, a new coach promising a starting position to a former starter on a P5 team is a silly narrative, but your ‘Milton was Joe Burrow and Jesus in practice’ but ran out of bounds at the end of a real game makes Heup look like an idiot coach. Your narrative doesn’t fit with what we’ve seen from Heup (or anyone in the world outside of Jeremy Pruitt). My narrative fits with what many coaches do around the country, and explains why Heup went with Milton over a clearly superior Hooker.

You keep believing that our ball coach is an idiot about qbs and I’ll believe that there was a recruiting promise made, kept, and fixed by our qb-whispering ball coach.
Heupel has specifically said (last Wednesday PC) that he does not promise playing time to recruits and that players should be suspicious of coaches that do.

There is pretty no audibilizing at the LOS, that's my point. Audibles allow the defense time to get organized and all and this system doesn't want that. The RPOs you mention are a simple 2 choice decision by the QB. HB is not a candidate for RPOs cause he can't run
Not necessary if you run them well and make the right decision. Hooker ran but not a ton on RPO's. I'd wager he took more sacks on RPO's when he made a bad run read than runs for positive yardage.

HB needs a system where he sits in a pocket and throws darts to any of 4 or 5 receiver options. That said, I would not be surprised if HB is/was overrated. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and how he does
Darts? His head is his best advantage if he can find a slow developing system that favors a QB polished at going through progressions. Unfortunately not many run that. Wisconsin might be a fit. Purdue for that matter. Possibly Pitt. NCSU? He has a pretty average college arm. That's not going to help him.

No one here is saying Heupel is an idiot. You are making yourself look like an idiot.

Heupel started Milton because he outperformed the others in practice. When live bullets started flying, Milton didn't perform. Good grief if the last 4 years didn't prove that is not a VERY, VERY solid presumption then I'm not sure what it would take. Two coaches lost their jobs in very large measure because JG looked like an All American in practice but couldn't take it to the game field.

By EVERY account, Hooker didn't have a good camp. Some guys wilt under live pressure... and some guys shine.

VN Store

Back