Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey enters NCAA transfer portal

This young man is going to destroy us in a game sometime in the next four years. It is the Tennessee way. And heaven help us is Hooker gets injured again and Milton is our ONLY backup. I like Coach Heupel and think he is doing some great things. But this one decision is NOT wise
Who do you think made "this one decision?"

This young man is going to destroy us in a game sometime in the next four years. It is the Tennessee way. And heaven help us is Hooker gets injured again and Milton is our ONLY backup. I like Coach Heupel and think he is doing some great things. But this one decision is NOT wise

How do you know Heupel has anything to do with it?

I’m not sure why he is doing this now and not 5-6 weeks from now once the season is over. But, good luck to him. Just poor timing for HB with the coaching change and offensive philosophy overhaul, I’m sure he’ll be a great player for another team the next 4 years.

Reactions: 08Vol and TNgradmom
The New Normal... if you have credentials and are not playing and/or don't fit the system, time to try the portal... Good luck HB... Go Vols!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I can’t blame him for going at all. If he were my son it’s what I would tell him to do. Ultimately… Hooker is a better player than him in a system that favors a guy like Hooker more. If I were Bailey the only real gripe I would have is Milton being a head of him. Milton jumped ahead of both hooker and Bailey without even going through spring practice with the team. That was ridiculously unfair. Bailey and hooker should have both gotten to play early in the year while the competition was playing out. Ultimately, hooker was going to win out. He’s just a really good player. But Bailey never got any sort of a chance at all with this staff

I have no idea what issues behind the scenes there were with Heupel and Bailey but I never got the impression Heupel had any intention of playing someone who wasn’t his guy. Harrison will be a better fit somewhere else.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It's actually bad timing...and unnecessary. We don't get that spot back and there's no advantage. He'll be fine.
Yeah. Like Maurer, why not let it play out. You can put feelers out. You can drop hints "through friends". Who knows he could have been the starter by the end of the season and perform so well that he's #1 going into next fall.

If Maurer hadn't let his emotions push him out the door then he could have been in line now as well. Who knows... with Maurer's mobility he might have actually passed Milton.

I think both made bad decisions with the timing. Leaving after the season would have been completely understandable.

Hate to see this but figured he would do it. Do not blame him and wish the young man the best of luck. I hope he does not go to a school that will play the VOLS while he is still there. Knowing the VOLS luck he would turn out to be Heisman winner and throw for 600 yards and 6 touchdowns against us. Look for a few more good players to be in the portal before the year is out. I would guess along the lines of maybe Dee Beckwith, Tyus Fields, Bryson Eason, Ramel Keeton and maybe one or both of the Jimmy's at wide receiver (Calloway and Holiday). But I really hope I am wrong. I just feel some guys are not the practice champions that the coach is looking for but I think all of these guys listed here are the type that when their on the field during the game they play better than they practice. Just my thoughts for what it is worth and I know it is not worth much.

Reactions: CJBlaze
They were hell bent on not playing him. He doesn't owe anyone anything here. Good Luck to him.
Feel the same way about Henry T? Gray? Lawrence?

For all we know Bailey could’ve been ordering some of those Happy Meals from McDonalds that the previous coach was giving out. I don’t think he was personally, but the way some of our former players are now the enemy and yet Bailey gets a pass by part of the fan base is kind of sad.

Reactions: 08Vol and Raebo
Forgive me for being an idiot on the portal but is he still on the team and exploring options or does that mean he’s out?

UT is signing a QB in this class and there is a good possibility JH will bring in a QB from the portal. The portal works both ways.

I have no idea what issues behind the scenes there were with Heupel and Bailey but I never got the impression Heupel had any intention of playing someone who wasn’t his guy. Harrison will be a better fit somewhere else.
Hooker... wasn't his guy. Heupel had no intention of playing someone who had not earned it.

I didn't get to watch practice either. But the portions we did see... he was not the most accurate, did not have the most arm strength, did not have a significant advantage in getting the ball off, and wasn't more accurate. The rumors circulated that it wasn't any better in the closed portions of practice. He just wasn't as good as the others.

To assume that Heupel had ANY sort of personal bias against Bailey is just foolish.

I had high hopes for Bailey. But for some reason, he just couldn’t get on the field here. Maybe it’s a system thing or maybe Bailey just doesn’t like the staff. Who knows? I wish him nothing but success. I hope he finds a team that suits his skill set and he balls out.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Hooker... wasn't his guy. Heupel had no intention of playing someone who had not earned it.

I didn't get to watch practice either. But the portions we did see... he was not the most accurate, did not have the most arm strength, did not have a significant advantage in getting the ball off, and wasn't more accurate. The rumors circulated that it wasn't any better in the closed portions of practice. He just wasn't as good as the others.

To assume that Heupel had ANY sort of personal bias against Bailey is just foolish.

And you’re foolish to think Bailey is a worse quarterback than joe Milton

I can’t blame him for going at all. If he were my son it’s what I would tell him to do. Ultimately… Hooker is a better player than him in a system that favors a guy like Hooker more. If I were Bailey the only real gripe I would have is Milton being a head of him. Milton jumped ahead of both hooker and Bailey without even going through spring practice with the team. That was ridiculously unfair. Bailey and hooker should have both gotten to play early in the year while the competition was playing out. Ultimately, hooker was going to win out. He’s just a really good player. But Bailey never got any sort of a chance at all with this staff

What???

It’s not anymore unfair than a hotshot freshman who comes in and takes the job from an upperclassman. It happens every single year at just about every single program.

Just about every report out of summer practice had Milton looking better than the other QBs. He sucked in pressure situations and when Hooker proved to be much more efficient and got a chance, he was the guy.

Heupel wasn’t predisposed to Hooker being #2 and if Bailey had beaten out Hooker, then it would’ve been his for the taking. Problem is that he didn’t. So Hooker got the first chance to unseat Milton and ran with it.

VN Store

Back