Tennessee practice #3

To summarize this up... Pruitt will play JG due to having the most experience.

I’ve watched JG make some beautiful throws then also some very bad ones that make you want to cringe. Will he magically become a world beater after 3 years? It’s unknown.

JG has the size and arm to be a very effective QB but he tries too hard to not make a mistake on the field which results into negative plays. He overthinks the play instead of just letting it come to him naturally.

He’s a great practice QB but he doesn’t have the mental aspect to play during an actual SEC game.

Please, let him prove me and everybody else wrong this season.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Thought I was all alone
I'm with you guys. I don't see the utility in playing JG as it stands. He's been good for three full games. @Auburn (and it wasn't thaaat great) @Mizzou by far his best game. Second half @kentucky a half worth of game time @ South Carolina. 3 impressive games. The rest is absolutely atrocious.

I love JG for sticking with it and helping us win some games despite being the most hated QB in Tennessee history.

If he comes out there at South Carolina and stinks it up, I really hope Pruitt pulls the plug. I don't want him to keep getting thrown to the wolves. He doesn't need to go through any Develop the baby quarterbacks and move on. Let JG be a back up.

If it were me I'd have Shrout, Maurer and Bailey out there, because at least one of them will be here in the future and I would be shocked if one of them isn't at least as good as JG.

If JG falters this season he should be benched without hesitation. The young talent should take over at that point. Only question is who would replace him. So far that's Shrout but there is still time for maurer and HB to move up into that role. Does anyone know what shrout and maurer weight this season? I know JG hit 230. Curious about the other two. Also heard HB is bigger than people thought

It won't be Shrout. And I'm pretty sure people are reading way into a few comments made by journalists.

Maurer in year two ...after everything he's been through this off-season, could be a huge suprise.

And ofcourse we have a 5 star waiting...
JG won't even have 100 pass attempts this season...as I said he won't pass for 1,000 yards this season.

Reactions: 1vol8
I'm with you guys. I don't see the utility in playing JG as it stands. He's been good for three full games. @Auburn (and it wasn't thaaat great) @Mizzou by far his best game. Second half @kentucky a half worth of game time @ South Carolina. 3 impressive games. The rest is absolutely atrocious.

I love JG for sticking with it and helping us win some games despite being the most hated QB in Tennessee history.

If he comes out there at South Carolina and stinks it up, I really hope Pruitt pulls the plug. I don't want him to keep getting thrown to the wolves. He doesn't need to go through any Develop the baby quarterbacks and move on. Let JG be a back up.

If it were me I'd have Shrout, Maurer and Bailey out there, because at least one of them will be here in the future and I would be shocked if one of them isn't at least as good as JG.
I personally agree and wish that were the way Pruitt was thinking LAST year. I understand that winning games is what holds jobs but he had a perfect opportunity to develop JGs replacement without consequence on a team that wasn’t expected to do much as he had a built in excuse of rebuilding in his pocket. He no longer has that excuse legitimately. He’s done such a great job with every other position (especially defensively) that this team is now expected to compete. In a normal year this team is expected to win 8+ games now. Anything less is a failure.
Last year the way this team started it looked questionable to win 4 tops after 4 weeks of play. It’s hard to believe that we don’t win more than 4 with a freshman qb starting the season. Using Maurer as the freshman qb because that’s who we had as #2, Maybe we still lose to GAST because that was as much on the defense as it was JG. Maybe BYU was another loss. But we still beat Chatt and lose to Florida anyway. Our record is the exact same! BUT, we now have a talented freshman with 2-3 games of cupcake experience going into Florida and maybe he’s able to compete with them much better than we did. At least we send a message that we’re not going to be a doormat much longer. We knew we were losing to Georgia but we competed with them and surprised a lot of doubters with that freshman qb. Our record is still the same through week 6.
No one can convince me that JG won the MSU game handing the ball off. Maurer was dismantling them between the 20s and I know he would’ve settled down in the red zone after the 2 picks. With the game experience leading up to MSU maybe he doesn’t force it. Maybe he does. Maybe he learned to slide by then. Maybe he learns to play making business decisions. Our record is still the same.
We weren’t going to beat Alabama but there are those that think we had a chance with Maurer. I do think however that we only lose by 10-14 if he’d stayed in. Record is still the same.
We still beat UAB.
We still beat USCe
We still beat UK
We still beat Vandy
We still beat Mizzou.

We would’ve lost nothing! But we would’ve gained experience and experience is everything.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I personally agree and wish that were the way Pruitt was thinking LAST year. I understand that winning games is what holds jobs but he had a perfect opportunity to develop JGs replacement without consequence on a team that wasn’t expected to do much as he had a built in excuse of rebuilding in his pocket. He no longer has that excuse legitimately. He’s done such a great job with every other position (especially defensively) that this team is now expected to compete. In a normal year this team is expected to win 8+ games now. Anything less is a failure.
Last year the way this team started it looked questionable to win 4 tops after 4 weeks of play. It’s hard to believe that we don’t win more than 4 with a freshman qb starting the season. Using Maurer as the freshman qb because that’s who we had as #2, Maybe we still lose to GAST because that was as much on the defense as it was JG. Maybe BYU was another loss. But we still beat Chatt and lose to Florida anyway. Our record is the exact same! BUT, we now have a talented freshman with 2-3 games of cupcake experience going into Florida and maybe he’s able to compete with them much better than we did. At least we send a message that we’re not going to be a doormat much longer. We knew we were losing to Georgia but we competed with them and surprised a lot of doubters with that freshman qb. Our record is still the same through week 6.
No one can convince me that JG won the MSU game handing the ball off. Maurer was dismantling them between the 20s and I know he would’ve settled down in the red zone after the 2 picks. With the game experience leading up to MSU maybe he doesn’t force it. Maybe he does. Maybe he learned to slide by then. Maybe he learns to play making business decisions. Our record is still the same.
We weren’t going to beat Alabama but there are those that think we had a chance with Maurer. I do think however that we only lose by 10-14 if he’d stayed in. Record is still the same.
We still beat UAB.
We still beat USCe
We still beat UK
We still beat Vandy
We still beat Mizzou.

We would’ve lost nothing! But we would’ve gained experience and experience is everything.
Would’ve lost GAMES. That’s a “consequence” that FANS won’t accept.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Would’ve lost GAMES. That’s a “consequence” that FANS won’t accept.
I feel like that’s a false statement for a couple different reason. 1) If you remember back to the record predictions thread most people predicted anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4. That tells you everyone EXPECTED to lose games. And nearly every prediction took some kind of shot at JG. When you have that kind of lack of support in a player it’s a safe bet that the majority of the posters would be willing to sacrifice another game or two to get the next man up ready. 2) most fans seem to blame JG for every loss anyway. So the 6-6 crowd blame JG for all 6 losses where the 8-4 crowd blame JG for 4. With a freshman qb, like I said, maybe we still lose to GAST and BYU but replace the last name on the jersey and all of a sudden the focus of why we lost turns to the defense and rightfully so.

Point is most fans had a bowl appearance pegged as a success last year. So that being said who’s right? You saying losing games isn’t acceptable? Or me saying it’s forgivable with a freshman as long as we were competitive?

Correct. Lol, no Coach is going to put their job on the line because they want to “develop” a kid.
I agree with that. That’s not what I’m saying. But as it turned out his job was on the line because he DIDNT. The way JG was playing early last year you can’t tell me we make a bowl if JP had stuck with him.

If the coach is starting JG he is our best chance to win a game. Its pretty simple, can the young wide receivers get open and can JG hit them in stride? I don't know the answer but we will find out very soon. A stable of QB's behind him and my bet is we will see them all.

Reactions: Beagle Bill
I feel like that’s a false statement for a couple different reason. 1) If you remember back to the record predictions thread most people predicted anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4. That tells you everyone EXPECTED to lose games. And nearly every prediction took some kind of shot at JG. When you have that kind of lack of support in a player it’s a safe bet that the majority of the posters would be willing to sacrifice another game or two to get the next man up ready. 2) most fans seem to blame JG for every loss anyway. So the 6-6 crowd blame JG for all 6 losses where the 8-4 crowd blame JG for 4. With a freshman qb, like I said, maybe we still lose to GAST and BYU but replace the last name on the jersey and all of a sudden the focus of why we lost turns to the defense and rightfully so.

Point is most fans had a bowl appearance pegged as a success last year. So that being said who’s right? You saying losing games isn’t acceptable? Or me saying it’s forgivable with a freshman as long as we were competitive?
So YOUR perception of expectations vs our coach’s educated feeling on who was the best choice to help us win? Guess which one a FAN will go with? Now you’re going with a MESSAGE BOARD poll as your proof of what we would’ve accepted? Hells of loads of science there, bruh! Since you’ve only been on this board a little over a year, I’ll give you what serves as a pass...WE don’t accept LOSSES. Whatever’s being done has to be done within the context of WINNING! I really don’t care what you feel is “forgivable”...we’re not from the same place. Going by your hypotheticals, it does sound like you’re saying Maurer should have been the immediate starter...despite previous denials.

I agree with that. That’s not what I’m saying. But as it turned out his job was on the line because he DIDNT. The way JG was playing early last year you can’t tell me we make a bowl if JP had stuck with him.

Well he tried, but Maurer couldn’t complete a game and then he started making bad decisions. Hence having to always go back to JG. Btw I’m not a JG fan. Far from it. I just want Tennessee to win and I honestly don’t care which QB makes it happen. But it is going to be very obvious this year which QBs can hack it because there will be guys open all year and if whatever QB isn’t hitting them that is the indicator.

Reactions: jlawso21 and 1vol8
Whoa @1vol8 trained BM in HS? Thats awesome.

I don't disagree that BM has talent and potential but what you said above is the kicker. With JG we have seen the good and bad. All I'm saying is if he can be consistent with another year under Chaney he is/would be our best option. If not, we will know soon if BM can live up to his potential. Honestly, this year may be his (BM) best opportunity to win the job with the QBs we have lined up over the next couple of years. For the record, I think HB is the real deal and 2021 he will start from day 1 IMO.
I'm leaning toward Salter when it comes down to the two... either way I think the future is better than the recent past.

Reactions: JT3
So YOUR perception of expectations vs our coach’s educated feeling on who was the best choice to help us win? Guess which one a FAN will go with? Now you’re going with a MESSAGE BOARD poll as your proof of what we would’ve accepted? Hells of loads of science there, bruh! Since you’ve only been on this board a little over a year, I’ll give you what serves as a pass...WE don’t accept LOSSES. Whatever’s being done has to be done within the context of WINNING! I really don’t care what you feel is “forgivable”...we’re not from the same place. Going by your hypotheticals, it does sound like you’re saying Maurer should have been the immediate starter...despite previous denials.
You responded to me responding to someone else that held that opinion. My response was a hypothetical “what if” knowing how it turned out. Of course no one knew how it would turn out before the season started so beforehand I was and still do say that JG had the most experience so therefore SHOULD BE THE STARTER. However, IF a change was going to be made because of performance of JG and he was making the same mistakes that we were trying to AVIOD with a freshman, then said freshman should’ve been thrown in there long before the university of Georgia. Knowing now the way JG played through the first two weeks, it’s my opinion that UT Chatt should’ve been his replacements first FULL GAME action. And if I were Pruitt, I personally wouldn’t have waited even that long knowing I had the exact same problems last year. I would’ve pulled him at halftime of GAST. I also would’ve known from the previous year that pulling him was a definite possibility and therefore would’ve consulted Chaney and gotten my number 2 ready with a game plan to fit him as well.

You responded to me responding to someone else that held that opinion. My response was a hypothetical “what if” knowing how it turned out. Of course no one knew how it would turn out before the season started so beforehand I was and still do say that JG had the most experience so therefore SHOULD BE THE STARTER. However, IF a change was going to be made because of performance of JG and he was making the same mistakes that we were trying to AVIOD with a freshman, then said freshman should’ve been thrown in there long before the university of Georgia. Knowing now the way JG played through the first two weeks, it’s my opinion that UT Chatt should’ve been his replacements first FULL GAME action. And if I were Pruitt, I personally wouldn’t have waited even that long knowing I had the exact same problems last year. I would’ve pulled him at halftime of GAST. I also would’ve known from the previous year that pulling him was a definite possibility and therefore would’ve consulted Chaney and gotten my number 2 ready with a game plan to fit him as well.
Not into auto racing myself, but the best analogy for you in this discussion is zipping around all over the track. Find a lane and stick to it. 😉

Not into auto racing myself, but the best analogy for you in this discussion is zipping around all over the track. Find a lane and stick to it. 😉
I have found a lane and stuck to it. If there’s one thing I think I’ve proved is I’ll admit if I’m wrong and I don’t back off of what I say. After week one last year you can find posts of mine saying the exact same things and I still hold that opinion today. If your red shirt junior qb has shown no improvement in areas that are costing you games his leash should’ve been an inch long going into 2019 when you have a year of experience dealing with it and it shows up in the very first game of the following year vs a weak opponent. At that point the entire program is better off playing for the future.

Anyone saying JG has hit some mythical ceiling is just an idiot.

He had the exact same rs JR season as Joe Burrow. If qbs hit their ceilings in college NFL rookies would be just as good as the vets. He has gotten better number wise each year and the team has won more games each year.

I have found a lane and stuck to it. If there’s one thing I think I’ve proved is I’ll admit if I’m wrong and I don’t back off of what I say. After week one last year you can find posts of mine saying the exact same things and I still hold that opinion today. If your red shirt junior qb has shown no improvement in areas that are costing you games his leash should’ve been an inch long going into 2019 when you have a year of experience dealing with it and it shows up in the very first game of the following year vs a weak opponent. At that point the entire program is better off playing for the future.
Totally disregarding your preferred option of a true freshman QB who doesn’t practice well. Create a whole new gameplan for a “gamer”. Sacrifice wins in your second season for a kid who still hasn’t proven himself a QB capable of holding up an entire game. I want you to go smash into the pace car. Why? Because you’ve hit everything else on the damn track...I want you to be perfect! Days of Thunder.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Totally disregarding your preferred option of a true freshman QB who doesn’t practice well. Create a whole new gameplan for a “gamer”. Sacrifice wins in your second season for a kid who still hasn’t proven himself a QB capable of holding up an entire game. I want you to go smash into the pace car. Why? Because you’ve hit everything else on the damn track...I want you to be perfect! Days of Thunder.
Do you know for a fact that he “doesn’t practice well”? Not one report has said he “doesn’t practice well”. I’m just telling you that he performs better vs competition. The better the competition the better he plays. His best two games being vs UGA and Alabama was no coincidence. That is who he is.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer

He had the exact same rs JR season as Joe Burrow. If qbs hit their ceilings in college NFL rookies would be just as good as the vets. He has gotten better number wise each year and the team has won more games each year.
Please tell me your not making a comparison to Burrow????

That’s not true. Vets are better at every level because of experience and time in a system. Simple as that.

To summarize this up... Pruitt will play JG due to having the most experience.

I’ve watched JG make some beautiful throws then also some very bad ones that make you want to cringe. Will he magically become a world beater after 3 years? It’s unknown.

JG has the size and arm to be a very effective QB but he tries too hard to not make a mistake on the field which results into negative plays. He overthinks the play instead of just letting it come to him naturally.

He’s a great practice QB but he doesn’t have the mental aspect to play during an actual SEC game.

Please, let him prove me and everybody else wrong this season.

He seems to thrive when he as the motivation and most importantly, confidence. He played fairly well coming off the bench pissed about losing his job.

He needs to learn to have consistent confidence in himself

Please tell me your not making a comparison to Burrow????

There was the EXACT same situation. Why would I not? same wins and same passing numbers. Same amount of time in college.
Anyone saying a qb in JG's situation has definitely hit some ceiling is wrong.

That’s not true. Vets are better at every level because of experience and time in a system. Simple as that.
HAHAHAHAHA

Ok mr "qb coach." So high school qbs are jut as talented and developed in their skills as NFL vets? The vets just have more experience and time in their system so they appear to be better but are actually not?

I hope you give free lessons. If not you owe some major refunds.

lololol

VN Store

Back