Tennessee practice #3

Playing well? Let me look at his stats real quick......
He was playing better than anyone expected given the reports. Could he have been better? Absolutely. But that doesn’t change the fact that he was playing well enough that JG would’ve finished the year behind him on the DC if he had stayed healthy.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Its funny because if no concussions and BM starts the rest of the season do we beat UK, MSST, or Mizzou? Two of those games BM didn't play well and was pulled. I do agree that JG leash should be short and I hope either BM or Shrout is ready (my assumption is HB is going to RS). But until proven otherwise JG is our best option at QB.
I think its likely we beat them all. We were already on our way to beating Piss State with him in there. He moved the ball on them pretty easily and JG went in there and handed it off 47 million times for 2 yards a carry and we still won. Ya never know though how it would be if he continued to throw a bunch of interceptions. Don't know if that would have cost us any of those games. Brian struggled in the Kentucky game, but people forget he did lead us to a score before the half and had a nice throw to Callaway. He could have maintained that momentum into the second half. My point there is even though BM struggled for the majority of the first half in that game he at least improved towards the end. If JG had started poorly he never would have dug himself out of that hole. The moment JG sucks he will continue to suck, if he happens to be good, which is rare, he usually remains pretty good. With BM and Shrout we at least saw them improve as JG had basically stayed the exact same from 2017 through 2019 with his only good play being against Auburn, USCjr, Kentucky and MIzzou. Even in those games he under threw people all over the place. We shall see if he comes out there are plays well while subsequently underthrowing receivers more often or not.

Few possessions level short. Pruitt doesn’t want to lose...much less to SC. If it’s just meh, maybe a quarter but major mistakes won’t be played through imo.

This still gets me with Shrout. Literally the only QB to not make any major mistakes and he had the shortest leash of them all.....

Reactions: butchna
There were some bright flashes...nothing game long. TBF he could never stay throughout a game.
That sideline throw against Florida..... it was miraculous it wasn’t picked, the ball definitely shouldn’t of been thrown but I’ll give it to Maurer he put some juice behind it and got lucky that Palmer came back and made a nice play on it. Otherwise that was a Pick 6.

Reactions: butchna
Show where he has done that. He knows him and roots for him. If you can't get that... then you need to worry more about yourself.

You want to see people acting like someone is Jesus in pads... check a few of the posts from the JG cult. I don't blame JG for it.... but some of the posters here act like Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to him.

I hope SOMEONE out of this very talented group of QB's steps up and plays MUCH better than anything we've seen since Dobbs left. In 4 years, JG hasn't proven he has it in him to do it. Maurer and Shrout have talent but left a lot to be desired last year as well. Bailey is a freshman. He may be great. He may need time. He may never play to that 5* ranking.
I like to think of JG with giant eagles’ wings and singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band, and I’m in the front row, and I’m hammered drunk!

That sideline throw against Florida..... it was miraculous it wasn’t picked, the ball definitely shouldn’t of been thrown but I’ll give it to Maurer he put some juice behind it and got lucky that Palmer came back and made a nice play on it. Otherwise that was a Pick 6.
He’s got MOXIE. Found out from an informed source that it’s an actual measurable statistic. 😎

He’s got MOXIE. Found out from an informed source that it’s an actual measurable statistic. 😎
I’m convinced you were bullied as a kid and that’s why you hide behind your keyboard talking nonsense. WHO CARES IF IM A NEW FAN OR WHY?! NO ONE! YOU should lead by example being the old school fan you are. Instead you sit on here and subtly attack posters that you deem inferior and fans like you can easily give an otherwise peaceful fan base a bad name.That’s your MO and what you’re known for. Now I’ve let you take several shots without reply and I’m done. I respect your knowledge of the game and this team. However I don’t respect the way you feel it’s acceptable to talk to or about people with such disrespect. It’s cowardly.

I’ve told you and this entire board that my passion is qbs. IM A QB COACH! Therefore most of my responses will be in qb related threads..... what wrong with that Butchna? Does it mean I bring nothing to the board because I have an opinion? Some think I do regardless if my opinion matches theirs or not. I don’t attack anyone. I know this GAME as well as anyone and I try to be respectful to others. If I’m not welcome to you, ignore me without comment. I’m sure it would be appreciated.

Who do you think is the best QB prospect on the roster, and will he win the job this year?
Long term? Bailey. Don’t know how rapidly he’ll “get it” if he already hasn’t. Immediately and until further lab time, I’d start with JG and whoever the coaches peg as the next man up between Maurer and Shrout. That’s what these practices are centric towards. I don’t buy some player advocate’s pitch that it’s predetermined. No one KNOWS and the answer may be different when it actually counts as opposed to now.

Long term? Bailey. Don’t know how rapidly he’ll “get it” if he already hasn’t. Immediately and until further lab time, I’d start with JG and whoever the coaches peg as the next man up between Maurer and Shrout. That’s what these practices are centric towards. I don’t buy some player advocate’s pitch that it’s predetermined. No one KNOWS and the answer may be different when it actually counts as opposed to now.

If JG doesn’t get it this year I don’t care who starts as long as they can get our guys into the endzone and eliminate turnovers.

Like you said if Bailey “gets it” right out of the gate he is obviously your go to. But if not then hopefully Shrout who has multiple reports lately that everything is starting to click or Maurer who showed flashes of being a good QB last year step up because let’s face it if JG isn’t cutting it someone has to step up or we are screwed.

The guy with the shortest leash in the QB room IMO is JG. First poor offensive series of downs, that is not the same as an unsuccessful series of downs, he gets yanked and doesn't see the field again on The Hill I do believe.

I’m convinced you were bullied as a kid and that’s why you hide behind your keyboard talking nonsense. WHO CARES IF IM A NEW FAN OR WHY?! NO ONE! YOU should lead by example being the old school fan you are. Instead you sit on here and subtly attack posters that you deem inferior and fans like you can easily give an otherwise peaceful fan base a bad name.That’s your MO and what you’re known for. Now I’ve let you take several shots without reply and I’m done. I respect your knowledge of the game and this team. However I don’t respect the way you feel it’s acceptable to talk to or about people with such disrespect. It’s cowardly.

I’ve told you and this entire board that my passion is qbs. IM A QB COACH! Therefore most of my responses will be in qb related threads..... what wrong with that Butchna? Does it mean I bring nothing to the board because I have an opinion? Some think I do regardless if my opinion matches theirs or not. I don’t attack anyone. I know this GAME as well as anyone and I try to be respectful to others. If I’m not welcome to you, ignore me without comment. I’m sure it would be appreciated.
“Cowardly”. You’re doing it wrong! No bravery is required in presenting our takes on here! So in your spare time in advocating one player on a college roster, you dabble in psychology babble. I’m sure you were a natural leader of men resplendent in bow ties and smoked a pipe at age 13. And of course YOU designated who got bullied and by whom. Delegation. You have no clue about me so quit pretending. Are you proposing that you meet me IRL so you can give me a proper thrashing? 🤣 Get off that log you lil sensitive nancy. I meet you in a sports bar and you get this same conversation. “Hide”. You’re not a “new fan” of this PROGRAM. You have no INTEREST in any part of the program that doesn’t affect your boy! We’ve covered this. I don’t fault you in joining a message board and stumping for a kid you have a personal stake in following. I followed the Colts and Broncos when #18 was their QB...and now? Not so much. When I did, I followed their drafts, FA moves, coaching developments etc. Could talk shop with any lifelong devotee but I never passed myself off as such...cuz it would have been fraudulent. It’s disrespectful to the genuine articles to don the guise of objective new fan and then not so subtly dig at coaches, other players and beat writers who you view as detractors to Maurer’s manifest destiny. Don’t hide behind that “I said this good thing about that other QB and said this one should start until... and I said Brian didn’t throw well here and...” hogwash! You posted that it was a coaching mistake by Pruitt to not go all in with Maurer last year to prepare him to be the long term starter. Because that was more important than WINS in the short term! That’s NFL franchise QB strategy that’ll get a SEC coach fired! Not important to you...since you’re not a real fan. For me it crystallized my suspicions about you. You’re a more comprehensible version of Brandon Johnson’s cousin who at least from the beginning was honest about being on the board for one player. You put your slanted BS on this board and I’m going to respond. If it overly irritates YOU then avail yourself of the ignore feature. I’m not going to quote you but it’ll be available. Smoke em if you got em. 😏

Last edited:
“Cowardly”. You’re doing it wrong! No bravery is required in presenting our takes on here! You’re not a “new fan” of this PROGRAM. You have no INTEREST in any part of the program that doesn’t affect your boy! We’ve covered this. I don’t fault you in joining a message board and stumping for kid you have a personal stake in following. I followed the Colts and Broncos when #18 was their QB...and now? Not so much. When I did, I followed their drafts, FA moves, coaching developments etc. Could talk shop with any lifelong devotee but I never passed myself off as such...cuz it would have been fraudulent. It’s disrespectful to the genuine articles to don the guise of objective new fan and then not so subtly dig at coaches, other players and beat writers who you view as detractors to Maurer’s manifest destiny. Don’t hide behind that “I said this good thing about that other QB and said this one should start until... and I said Brian didn’t throw well here and...” hogwash! You posted that it was a coaching mistake by Pruitt to not go all in with Maurer last year to prepare him to be the long term starter. Because that was more important than WINS in the short term! That’s NFL franchise QB strategy that’ll get a SEC coach fired! Not important to you...since you’re not a real fan. For me it crystallized my suspicions about you. You’re a more comprehensible version of Brandon Johnson’s cousin who at least from the beginning was honest about being on the board for one player. You put your slanted BS on this board and I’m going to respond. If it overly irritates YOU then avail yourself of the ignore feature. I’m not going to quote you but it’ll be available. Smoke em if you got em. 😏
Here is a prime example of what I was talking about. I NEVER said it was a mistake by not preparing BRIAN. I said it was mistake by not preparing a #2. So since #2 happened to be Brian, all of a sudden YOU put those words in mouth. And because he didn’t prepare him OR Shrout as the #2 he nearly lost his job as a result because NEITHER of them were ready. Yes..... that was a mistake and hopefully one he learned from. I know football coaches from pee-wee through college and NOT ONE has said that was a smart move by investing all his time into one qb. Not one player has ever said “I don’t want to be developed” and EVERY SINGLE COLLEGE COACH promises they will when they sit on these players living room couches talking to them and their parents. If you or anyone else think that it WAS a smart move then maybe I’ve over estimated yours or their knowledge of this game.

Here is a prime example of what I was talking about. I NEVER said it was a mistake by not preparing BRIAN. I said it was mistake by not preparing a #2. So since #2 happened to be Brian, all of a sudden YOU put those words in mouth. And because he didn’t prepare him OR Shrout as the #2 he nearly lost his job as a result because NEITHER of them were ready. Yes..... that was a mistake and hopefully one he learned from. I know football coaches from pee-wee through college and NOT ONE has said that was a smart move by investing all his time into one qb. Not one player has ever said “I don’t want to be developed” and EVERY SINGLE COLLEGE COACH promises they will when they sit on these players living room couches talking to them and their parents. If you or anyone else think that it WAS a smart move then maybe I’ve over estimated yours or their knowledge of this game.

Excuse me, but those QBs were getting just as many reps as JG. It’s not on the coach for them not being prepared, you can only coach them so much, they either get it or they don’t. They have the opportunity to study the playbooks like JG and watch as much film as JG. So.... if they didn’t do that or they didn’t get the mental aspect of it, that isn’t really on the Head Coach. It will also be why Harrison Bailey separates himself from mediocre QB play when he gets into practice on Monday.

VN Store

Back