Tennessee Number 14

Big 10 this year looks pretty strong to me, with Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, OSU and Rutgers all ranked. That's just 1 less than the SEC.

B12 has been pretty weak this year. UConn's schedule is pretty weak too, but hurt because they missed out on some marquis OOC games. Also adding that Louisville's schedule (OOC and ACC) is not the strongest either.

I think we will see the difference in the conferences shake out in the NCAA tournament. There are 5 legit teams (SC, A&M, UT, UGA, Kentucky, Arkansas) in the SEC that could be in the Sweet 16. Only see two really legit teams in the Big 10. I think Indiana and Maryland are at the elite level the rest are not. Michigan in particular is not that good. Rutgers has not played 3 of the top 6 teams in their conference at all (Indiana, Michigan and Ohio State) so I’m not giving them any credit for where they sit in conference right now. Iowa has played 17 games in conference to Rutgers and Michigan’s 11.

Naz is a great performer in the post in the Big 10 but won’t be able to do her usual as soon as they hit a team with size. Much like Holmes from Indiana when we played. Holmes has done her usual thing in the Big 10 but had no success against us due to our interior size.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I would put TAMU at #1 with their performance over SC. Actually at this stage of the season it really doesn't matter (unless you want to hang a banner). The only thing that counts is your NCAA draw. Your ranking with the committee is more important this year than any year. All teams will be ranked in an 'S' curve which means if you are the top ranked #1 you would be scheduled to play the 16th ranked team in the SS. While the 4th ranked #1 will play the 13th ranked team. If the rankings hold the EE would have #1 against #8 and #4 against #5. Both games are a huge edge to the top ranked #1 verses the 4th ranked #1. If the committee agrees with todays top 25 UConn's 2 games to get into the FF would be Georgia and Maryland while Stanford would play Arkansas and Louisville. Which two games do you think is the more difficult path to the FF?

I honestly think UConn’s path would be more difficult because they’d have to play a great defensive team then follow it with a great offensive team. Arkansas doesn’t play defense and Louisville is overrated.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Yes, the ESPN/UCONN Huskies do play their share of ranked OOC opponents.

My point is that they don't have to prepare for their conference games like SEC teams, do, where one bad night means you may lose to any other team in the conference. Plus, the wear and tear, physically and mentally, that a SEC conference schedule imposes on it's members is grueling over the course of a season.

Losing to the SEC's #6 seed shows the peril that would have faced them in the SEC.

However, their schedule favors them for both ranking and tournament seeding.

I agree the SEC is by far the strongest conference. But uconn always has a schedule rated stronger than any conference - usually one or two in the ratings. I think the conferences Baylor is in is very weak and they usually schedule very weak out of conference games. Maryland's conference is also not very strong but Maryland schedules stronger out of conference games than Baylor. I agree TA&M should be one.

Any one feel like UConn is rated number one this year and they really are not number one. When they were rated number one years before you thought they deserved it. They are not that great on the road have to see how they play on a neutral court. Several teams capable of beating them this season they are no where near the favorite they have been in past seasons.
well this season nobody is a true #1.... UConn vulnerable and that is similar to several teams toward the top

VN Store

Back