Tennessee Modernizing Football Ticket Pricing Model Beginning in 2022

I was thinking the same thing.... no more discounts to UT employees which I think is a horrible idea.
"Starting with the 2022 Spring athletic seasons, current and retired faculty/staff members will be asked to pay 100 percent of the per-seat donation cost and 80 percent of the ticket cost in their respective sections."

They're getting a 20% discount on tickets. They will now be required to donate at the appropriate amount if they want to stay in a specific section.

This system is going to ensure everyone in a particular area is required to donate the same amount. I think that is a long overdue change regardless of how many people pay more or less. No more special groups.

As someone who is in that section there’s no way in hell I’m paying that much, and I can’t fathom there are many who sit there that will. Those are a lot of seats to expect to fill with a $4600 price tag per seat let alone for a close view of the kind of product they’re putting on the field. And what happens to us? Ive donated a lot since purchasing these seats despite some really ****** football and through the covid season, and now am given the boot and left to find tickets elsewhere that might come available? Pretty ******

You want me to text the associate AD and tell him golf balls said to go F yourself? Also, you still will have to pay for food while the west club gets it for free. I was trying to work with them today but I’m getting screwed just like you. I think I’ll keep my 2 in X that will go down in cost and get basketball and screw the rest. Will make the 10,000 I’ve been giving them go to about 2,500. Maybe they can find other suckers to spend that kind of money.

That open area with high top tables planned for the north upper deck is targeted at the 20 and 30 year old demographic. I think they have gotten studies & feedback that that is the type of area the yutes are interested in.
With lots of crafty beers and your own personal cubby, to put away your flannel and sandals during the game. Also, a phone charging port, since all of them will have their faces glued to their phones.
GBO!!

Reactions: tbwhhs
I’m not sure how to understand any of this. I’m currently in QQ and have a locked in donation of $50 per seat. By this chart, it looks like I’m going to end up having to pay $300 per seat now?
If that’s the case, YouTubeTV just increased its value to me, substantially.
The $300 in QQ on that chart includes your ticket cost. Looks like no donation necessary for QQ moving forward.

I think I am bowing out. Too much money when I can go to about 4 games and pay off of stub hub and get great seats and save thousands.

Reactions: 08Vol
This is interesting on two fronts.

First there is statement about attracting new viewers at a time when attendence is at an all time low. I find that funny and not very genuine. Of course you want more fans because the current crop is loosing interest or just getting too old. Basically it looks like the upper deck is cheaper so that is where the new fans they are buying will be sitting.

Second I wonder if the TV revenue is now a high enough % of the budget where the AD is willing to risk the downside of changing their business model because the upside gain is worth it. In other words I wonder if this is something they wanted to do before but the risk was too high before the TV money.

I guess I won't get to go to my one game a year anymore. Single game tickets will be astronomical.

People who work for UT should have a benefit. Most take a pay cut to work for the University and should get a benefit. Are you willing to share your fringe benefits with everyone?

"Starting with the 2022 Spring athletic seasons, current and retired faculty/staff members will be asked to pay 100 percent of the per-seat donation cost and 80 percent of the ticket cost in their respective sections."

They're getting a 20% discount on tickets. They will now be required to donate at the appropriate amount if they want to stay in a specific section.

This system is going to ensure everyone in a particular area is required to donate the same amount. I think that is a long overdue change regardless of how many people pay more or less. No more special groups.

Long overdue. Demand is no longer greater than stadium capacity and seeing an empty south end-zone upper deck at Power 5 games will continue if changes are not made. Many other schools have already changed their approach. Non-football sports are hurt by the umbrella policy benefiting the privileged old guard. Change is not easy and some will grumble, but it's time to broaden the fan base. To not change means we will fall further behind.

All of this stuff is why scheduling is changing and cupcake games are going away.

Younger fans are not as loyal as a previous generation and they're actually more market savvy.

A season ticket holder back in the day was paying more than face value for the cost of tickets for two reasons....(1) love of school and (2) the only way to get your hands on the Alabama ticket was to purchase season tickets.

Now, if you're loaded, who cares. Maybe, you still have that love of school. But, if you aren't loaded, you can get tickets off the street for cheaper than purchasing them through the school if you really want them.

My guess is that I could purchase tickets to every Tennessee game this season by purchasing them below face value with the only possible exception being Georgia. And that's not even including the savings of not forking over the booster contribution.

College teams are going to have to win and they are going to have to play teams that make the trip worthwhile. Because unlike the professional teams, a school like Tennessee is drawing fans from all across the state, the Carolinas, Georgia, etc., on game day. It's not just a ticket and parking. It's hotel, food, gas, etc.

And on top of it all, a fan doesn't even know when the game will be played when they purchase the ticket until two weeks or less before gameday.

Last edited:
All of this stuff is why scheduling and cupcake games are going away.

Younger fans are not as loyal as a previous generation and they're actually more market savvy.

A season ticket holder back in the day was paying more than face value for the cost of tickets for two reasons....(1) love of school and (2) the only way to get your hands on the Alabama ticket was to purchase season tickets.

Now, if you're loaded, who cares. Maybe, you still have that love of school. But, if you aren't loaded, you can get tickets off the street for cheaper than purchasing them through the school if you really want them.

My guess is that I could purchase tickets to every Tennessee game this season by purchasing them below face value with the only possible exception being Georgia. And that's not even including the savings of not forking over the booster contribution.

College teams are going to have to win and they are going to have to play teams that make the trip worthwhile. Because unlike the professional teams, a school like Tennessee is drawing fans from all across the state, the Carolinas, Georgia, etc., on game day. It's not just a ticket and parking. It's hotel, food, gas, etc.

And on top of it all, a fan doesn't even know when the game will be played when they purchase the ticket until two weeks or less before gameday.
You are not wrong. Probably as accurate account of the state of season tickets as you can describe. And coming from a Gator, no less. I've been a season ticket holder for a long time and sometimes I question my sanity. If you buy them on the street, a) cheaper and b) you get a different view each time, not stuck around the same folks every week (which has it's ups and downs).

I've tried to make sense of this new ticket scheme. I know people that are grandfathered in that feel like they got a guarentee when they signed up for the tickets (early '80s?) that they would not be subject to a donation. The verbiage on this "deal" doesn't explicitly say that those days are over for them, but it looks like the statement 'equally fair price for everyone in the same section' seems to imply that things are about to change for them.

And the graphic someone posted - looks like the donation won't be considered separately - just the price of the tickets for that section will be enough to be donation + tickets. That way, everyone is sort of grandfathered in so that they just buy the tickets and the section reflects the amount.

I just wonder - during the 2020 season they made an offer "if you donate your ticket money, rather than buy your tickets, it's tax deductible, AND we will give you 5X donor points". Did I read somewhere that UT is going to do away with the point system? I almost took that deal.

I can see that there will be some ticked off people when the real details of what they are doing is unveiled. At this point, it's still fuzzy math.

You are not wrong. Probably as accurate account of the state of season tickets as you can describe. And coming from a Gator, no less. I've been a season ticket holder for a long time and sometimes I question my sanity. If you buy them on the street, a) cheaper and b) you get a different view each time, not stuck around the same folks every week (which has it's ups and downs).

I've tried to make sense of this new ticket scheme. I know people that are grandfathered in that feel like they got a guarentee when they signed up for the tickets (early '80s?) that they would not be subject to a donation. The verbiage on this "deal" doesn't explicitly say that those days are over for them, but it looks like the statement 'equally fair price for everyone in the same section' seems to imply that things are about to change for them.

And the graphic someone posted - looks like the donation won't be considered separately - just the price of the tickets for that section will be enough to be donation + tickets. That way, everyone is sort of grandfathered in so that they just buy the tickets and the section reflects the amount.

I just wonder - during the 2020 season they made an offer "if you donate your ticket money, rather than buy your tickets, it's tax deductible, AND we will give you 5X donor points". Did I read somewhere that UT is going to do away with the point system? I almost took that deal.

I can see that there will be some ticked off people when the real details of what they are doing is unveiled. At this point, it's still fuzzy math.

I know how this stuff works. And I'm not saying it's wrong. People feel entitled to their tickets. And I get the logic.

Do you honor and reward the loyal ticket holder who has been there for 35 years or do you honor the 27 year old graduate who's rolling in dough and wanting to fork it over.

The truth is.....IMO.....that 27 year old isn't forking it over either. He is purchasing them off the street too and is more comfortable doing that because of his age and expertise with the modern way of doing things.

I'll tell you what else happened. Season ticket holders used to have perks that are gone. If your team has that magical season and goes to the SEC title game, you're not getting tickets through the school. Anyone here dumb enough to purchase bowl game tickets through a school? You're sitting God knows where. You always buy through the bowl.

So, all those little perks about being a season ticket holder aren't there. What good is donating a nice amount of money if you still can't get your hands on tickets to the SEC title game if your team actually has that great season?

"Modernizing"

White is good at branding at least.
This reminds me of the hatchet CEO - you know - the one that is hired to come in and lay off people and change the culture in order to turn the revenue stream the other direction. Nobody likes him, but as he moves on after his short stay, the place is forever changed and the "old way of doing things" is never to return.

I did not see anything about grandfathered seats. I have 2 that I don’t have to make a donation for. Does anyone know if I get to keep them with no donation?
My guess (based on the jpg of the new prices compared to old prices, and the statement about each section being "fair and people paying the same in that section"), is that there really won't be a "donation" as a separate step in buying tickets. Therefore you still don't have to make a "donation". It's just lumped into the ticket price and everyone in the section pays the same. Again, that is a guess.

Long overdue. Demand is no longer greater than stadium capacity and seeing an empty south end-zone upper deck at Power 5 games will continue if changes are not made. Many other schools have already changed their approach. Non-football sports are hurt by the umbrella policy benefiting the privileged old guard. Change is not easy and some will grumble, but it's time to broaden the fan base. To not change means we will fall further behind.

... we have put 90k+ in that stadium regularly with a losing record. IF you win then there would be plenty of demand to fill the stadium 8 times a year unless you think losing 7x a year doesn't affect people's interest in attending?

Reactions: tbwhhs
I've been saying it on here. Dr. Dan is here to do nothing but monetize the program at all costs. He's nothing but a corporate suit. He doesn't care about the fans, the tradition, the players, or the program. The only thing Dr. Dan cares about is maximizing revenue and making himself loom good. NO matter what it takes.

Need to sacrifice a 90yr old tradition to get an extra 59 cents out of fans on gameday? Dr. Dan would say do it. He'd tear Neyland Stadium down to the ground if he could make more money doing so. Good bye Tennessee.

VN Store

Back