Tennessee lands Justin Powell

Why did you choose the Tennessee Volunteers?

“I chose them because of the culture they have there. They have an amazing fan base and have a great coaching staff and players. I felt like it was a great place for me to help me achieve my ultimate goal one day to play at the next level. We have some solid pieces to go make a run for a national championship and that’s the big goal.”

Discuss your relationship with your future teammate, Kennedy Chandler.

“Kennedy was a big part of my recruitment. He was on the phone with me everyday texting me. We have been brothers since we were little when we played together. We have always had good chemistry on the court and it was something that was intriguing to me to be able to play alongside him again.”

What was Rick Barnes’ pitch throughout the process?

“I liked how throughout this whole process coach Barnes was transparent with me the whole time. I really built a great relationship with him over the past few weeks and I already felt like I was one of his own. He wants to push me and I’m ready to go in there and work and be pushed by the coach every single day to bring out my max potential.”

This can't possibly be true...we all know CRB is too lazy to recruit (Powell must be lying to protect CRB just like Springer did in the interview when he said CRB & staff had practically begged both he and Keon to push the ball more)

Ky got a player at the same position who was rated #3 and Powell is rated #8.Both were transfers. I really like this one!

So, I'm curious as to who willl be the one to suffer fewer minutes because of this? Vescovi? VJB?

And, what is the skinny on whether Powell can play defense or not?

Did you really just post “I don’t want him.” Sorry but you aren’t the coach and candidly I think a guy that has been doing it as long as Barnes and has made millions may know a tad more than you. So I’m going with the professional on this one.
This basis for this argument holds no water with me. I was the third leading scorer on my Jr. high team. I bet you would tell me I dont know as much as Barnes either. Get it together man! Jk

Thanks clockwork for the videos, really my first look at Powell. Really good shooter, great size and a better athlete than I expected (yeah, my bad). Really pleased with this get, helps make one of UT's biggest weaknesses into almost a strength. Vescovi, Bailey, Chandler and now, Powell can shoot the 3. Can u imagine those 4 in with Fulk or James as the 5th with Chandler running the show, there's u all, a modern offense

A very solid addition. Not only great shooting percentage, but rebounding and assists look really good too.

Reactions: The Dog
Yea I have been very clear. I don’t want any one and done players. Barnes needs players for more than one year to get them to achieve at the highest level in his system
Nobody really cares what you think is what I was making very clear. Most reasonable trust Barnes, not you.

This basis for this argument holds no water with me. I was the third leading scorer on my Jr. high team. I bet you would tell me I dont know as much as Barnes either. Get it together man! Jk
Excellent point. I will give you more “street cred” than the original poster! At least you play some ball.

Yea I have been very clear. I don’t want any one and done players. Barnes needs players for more than one year to get them to achieve at the highest level in his system
I agree with Bruin to a point. I say the occasional one and done is fine but a revolving door of one and do es and transfers does not interest me much. College basketball should still have an element of players going to the same college for more than a year. And the teams have n the final four this year have some talented multi year players leading the way.

I agree with Bruin to a point. I say the occasional one and done is fine but a revolving door of one and do es and transfers does not interest me much. College basketball should still have an element of players going to the same college for more than a year. And the teams have n the final four this year have some talented multi year players leading the way.
But he isn’t right at all. He says he doesn’t want any one and done players which is utterly ridiculous. It means he doesn’t want the best player in the country. Where is the logic in that? I do agree with you that we would prefer not to build our entire roster that way.
The only issue with jaden and Keon this year is we didn’t have a true PG amd not enough inside help to complement their games.

But he isn’t right at all. He says he doesn’t want any one and done players which is utterly ridiculous. It means he doesn’t want the best player in the country. Where is the logic in that? I do agree with you that we would prefer not to build our entire roster that way.
The only issue with jaden and Keon this year is we didn’t have a true PG amd not enough inside help to complement their games.
I think Bruin values experience and players developing together into a unit that knows how to play together. I also value that but think an occasional one and done that will fit into that culture can work like the kid at Gonzaga. I think that type of team that spends time together and actually represents your university can both win it all and allows fans to connect with multi year players like Fulky and Admiral etc.

I think Bruin values experience and players developing together into a unit that knows how to play together. I also value that but think an occasional one and done that will fit into that culture can work like the kid at Gonzaga. I think that type of team that spends time together and actually represents your university can both win it all and allows fans to connect with multi year players like Fulky and Admiral etc.
Which is pretty much exactly what Barnes is trying to do.

We wouldn’t have been in the NCAA tournament without our two one and done players... I think we should definitely get a mixture of long term and one and dones but not wanting players because they are too good is crazy

You’re turning over the bottom of the roster with upgrades. Nothing wrong with that. We’re basically losing 3 contributors if fulk returns. That’s a pretty typical amount of turnover of players that actually play.

Reactions: i2amavol
You’re turning over the bottom of the roster with upgrades. Nothing wrong with that. We’re basically losing 3 contributors if fulk returns. That’s a pretty typical amount of turnover of players that actually play.
Fair enough. I am probably older then most on here and don’t really like what Kentucky and others have made college basketball. Now with all the transfers we will have a roster of players and lots of turnover every year it seems. I like the good old days of a kid committing and getting to watch him play for multiple years. Good discussion

VN Store

Back