Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Here’s the other thing on scholarship money, and it’s a new thing going forward, but I think baseball and softball are probably the sports where saving money for players that will be in the transfer portal is going to have the biggest impact on high school kids. Especially when it comes to pitching. I think when you look across the country, the hit rate on highly rated pitchers is much lower than it is for position players, while some “late bloomers“ end up being fairly successful early in their careers, albeit frequently at smaller or less traditionally successful programs.

You’re always going to see kids like Pickens or Jordy Bahl at Oklahoma that are highly rated throughout the process get major offers and come off the board early. But I don’t see a lot of programs committing a lot of money to pitching beyond those top prospects. You may let a kid walk on or give them a lower percentage of scholarship, then increase it if they pan out. But I think many coaches would rather budget differently to make sure they will have something left to chase a proven picture from a smaller school or a program that is going through a transition.

It may regulate itself out a little more once these fifth year players stop being a thing after 2024, but where the majority of sports in the NCAA use the transfer portal to replace transfers that they lost, baseball and softball with partial scholarships seem to be using it as an opportunity for late bloomers to move up. Oklahoma is using it to let everybody else develop players for a couple of years, then build another super team. I really hope that changes eventually.

Ultimately, it’s the high school kids that are going to miss out on scholarship opportunities at major schools because so many are doing so much shopping in the portal.

Agree, the portal has changed the landscape and the allocation of money top to bottom as the first come option. Between the portal and the Covid year it’s been a log jam for the 2022’s in regards to money and spots. Common ground outside Pickens and Pannell, I doubt there was much given if any to this class. Tennessee I’m sure has had to get creative in regards to non-scholarship money to entice kids, in-state is always low hanging fruit with the built in academics. OU is writing the book and everyone else waiting for the movie.

Rough outing by Pickens lastnight. A few hits, 2BB gave up 2 in one inning of work. Nerves I’m sure and no let up in the order. The speed was on display and rise, not a lot of movement boarderline flat all inning. But you see the potential and what she can do with college fitness and adding more movement pitches. She can sling it.

Panell was solid at 3B nice knee throw from 3B.

Ashtyn Danley from small town Tennessee was Futures MVP again. Headed to FSU

Rough outing by Pickens lastnight. A few hits, 2BB gave up 2 in one inning of work. Nerves I’m sure and no let up in the order. The speed was on display and rise, not a lot of movement boarderline flat all inning. But you see the potential and what she can do with college fitness and adding more movement pitches. She can sling it.

Panell was solid at 3B nice knee throw from 3B.

Ashtyn Danley from small town Tennessee was Futures MVP again. Headed to FSU
I agree. Watching her live you can tell that there is potential to be really good just based on speed alone. I think she looked a little rushed between pitches and was kinda just throwing to throw, granted it’s an all-star game. I am very intrigued to see how she progresses in the fall and what she’ll be like in the spring. I think with Rogers back and Gottshall on the staff now there wouldn’t be that much pressure to be perfect early and throughout the season.

I agree. Watching her live you can tell that there is potential to be really good just based on speed alone. I think she looked a little rushed between pitches and was kinda just throwing to throw, granted it’s an all-star game. I am very intrigued to see how she progresses in the fall and what she’ll be like in the spring. I think with Rogers back and Gottshall on the staff now there wouldn’t be that much pressure to be perfect early and throughout the season.
Agree, she has the goods to be great. If she can get a curve/backdoor down and away from the speed and rise she’ll be golden. Didn’t see her this summer but she’s always been able to power it.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Agree, she has the goods to be great. If she can get a curve/backdoor down and away from the speed and rise she’ll be golden. Didn’t see her this summer but she’s always been able to power it.

Pickens is going to have to get movement on her pitches. One thing I noticed that she has no presence in the circle. I didn’t like Pannell’s swing she steps in the bucket on every pitch.

Pickens is going to have to get movement on her pitches. One thing I noticed that she has no presence in the circle. I didn’t like Pannell’s swing she steps in the bucket on every pitch.
Agree on Pickens needing some movement. All the girls had the added pressure of the game and TV. Believe she’s not used to innings of kids being able to put the bat in the ball consistently. She’s going to benefit by the older staff in place and not having to be thrown to the fire. Closer, midweek block of innings to get easy work

I think Pannell could take 3rd and move Puni to short? I know it’s not the ideal situation but Puni is good because she hasn’t different arm slots she could throw from and she has good range. I am not too sure I would want a freshman at short.
After Gibson at 2B last year nothing is off the table. I could see it Panell 2B/Lair SS. Depth of Sarvis and Mosley at both spots.

After Gibson at 2B last year nothing is off the table. I could see it Panell 2B/Lair SS. Depth of Sarvis and Mosley at both spots.
Yep Gibson at 2nd last year took the cake for me. Nothing more than adaquat and slow. I dont know enough about the transfers and recruits coming in but in the fall i may give Puni a shot at short. Good quick hands and as mentioned can throw at all angles.

Yep Gibson at 2nd last year took the cake for me. Nothing more than adaquat and slow. I dont know enough about the transfers and recruits coming in but in the fall i may give Puni a shot at short. Good quick hands and as mentioned can throw at all angles.
Not the best for sure but I do applaud them for at least trying to get the best hitters in the lineup. I’m afraid we are going to really miss Ivy’s defense. Her hitting was hit and miss but the d overall was stellar.

I think having Ashley, Gottshall, and Ryleigh will help Orsini and Pickens ease in. I think McKenna at 1B is solid and I like Zaida’s different arm angles but does she have SS range? I have quietly thought Ivy’s replacement was our biggest thing to get straightened out. Don’t know details but will Lair’s surgery limit her? That leaves a bunch of folks this fall being looked at up the middle.

I think having Ashley, Gottshall, and Ryleigh will help Orsini and Pickens ease in. I think McKenna at 1B is solid and I like Zaida’s different arm angles but does she have SS range? I have quietly thought Ivy’s replacement was our biggest thing to get straightened out. Don’t know details but will Lair’s surgery limit her? That leaves a bunch of folks this fall being looked at up the middle.
I think you gotta give her a shot at SS. She’s in my opinion, the one that could easily take that spot. I had Lair there but with her surgery I am not too sure what she will be able to do come this fall and even into the spring.

I think you gotta give her a shot at SS. She’s in my opinion, the one that could easily take that spot. I had Lair there but with her surgery I am not too sure what she will be able to do come this fall and even into the spring.

They've planned on Lair being primarily an outfielder since before she arrived. She had to play infield when Thompson was re-injured, then they brought Gibson along to get her bat in the lineup. Danihoo was recruited to be a SS, that's likely where they put her. Not moving Puni off of 3B for anyone. Pannel is probably your 2B. Really only leaves RF or LF, depending on which one Lair plays, and DP up for grabs.

They've planned on Lair being primarily an outfielder since before she arrived. She had to play infield when Thompson was re-injured, then they brought Gibson along to get her bat in the lineup. Danihoo was recruited to be a SS, that's likely where they put her. Not moving Puni off of 3B for anyone. Pannel is probably your 2B. Really only leaves RF or LF, depending on which one Lair plays, and DP up for grabs.
We can play around with fitting all the pieces in the defense but i am thinking regardless if you cant or dont hit you sit.

We can play around with fitting all the pieces in the defense but i am thinking regardless if you cant or dont hit you sit.

Based on this, can you sub a better defensive player say in the top of an inning but if that player that was subbed for gets a bat in the bottom of the inning, can you put the original starter back in to bat? I know you can sub for players a pinch runner only but was not sure about reinserting for a field position.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Based on this, can you sub a better defensive player say in the top of an inning but if that player that was subbed for gets a bat in the bottom of the inning, can you put the original starter back in to bat? I know you can sub for players a pinch runner only but was not sure about reinserting for a field position.
Yes. Many times this year Gibson would start (better offensive player) but once she had her second or third AB they would sub in Fox bc they wanted better defense later in the game.

Recruit athletes/UTL and figure it out later. Lair was with Corona Tyson and HS a MI, players like her can transition with reps. It was obvious she was going to be starting at 2B over Fox last fall after a few fall games, not sure how a healthy Thompson would have factored in being we havent seen much to say one way or the other. I'd be surprised if Lair ends up in the OF based off having depth and recruiting traditional OF this class and last class. Taylor, Mesusan, Ahlin and Brockenbrough... I don't see Goodloe getting reps anything outside of running.

Danihoo falls into that category of MI/OF. This should be our most balanced team of speed and power at the plate we've had in some time at the plate.

Recruit athletes/UTL and figure it out later. Lair was with Corona Tyson and HS a MI, players like her can transition with reps. It was obvious she was going to be starting at 2B over Fox last fall after a few fall games, not sure how a healthy Thompson would have factored in being we havent seen much to say one way or the other. I'd be surprised if Lair ends up in the OF based off having depth and recruiting traditional OF this class and last class. Taylor, Mesusan, Ahlin and Brockenbrough... I don't see Goodloe getting reps anything outside of running.

Danihoo falls into that category of MI/OF. This should be our most balanced team of speed and power at the plate we've had in some time at the plate.
Lair looked really good in left when healthy. Fall ball should be interesting this year.

Lair, Kiki, Zaida, Mackenzie D, Taylor P, McKenna, Rylie, and Gracie looks good on paper offensively. Add in one OF and Amanda C who I think can give us quality ABs……. We could be pretty good. Fall will be competitive, can’t wait to see all the new folks and returners battling it out for PT.

VN Store

Back