Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

In watching the second Florida vs. Va. Tech game today it amazes me that the umps are calling so many illegal pitches on the Hokie freshman pitcher for crow hopping. It is ironic that softball's greatest crow-hopping pitcher was Florida's Kelly Barnhill and she was rarely called for her crime.
The umps are definitely influencing this game and seem to have it in for the Hokie pitcher. The umps should not single out a player and thus influence the game as such.

It happened in one of their games vs. FSU. They had the game won and she had some of those calls which resulted in balls and FSU wound up winnings. Umps went all game long without calling it but when FSU was about to lose the umps magically decided to call it.

WTBS, she's definitely illegal. And she was doing it the entire game when they came to Knoxville. She's very much in the same realm of Florida alum Stephanie Brombacher and Arizona alum Kenzie Fowler when it comes to leaping on basically every pitch. Those two went uncalled during the season but when they got to the WCWS it was called and it affected them and their teams. Cat Osterman did it a lot in her days at Texas and it was never called.

I made some comments about Karen's relating to and motivating players but it was not intended to be trashing her as a coach. I have met her and she can be a very pleasant person and knows softball. She is direct and to the point and doesn't joke around much, the lawyer part, and some players don't handle that well.

The biggest issue is, as other posters on here that know the program far better than me have said, once you get in her dog house for something it can be very hard to get out of and your playing time suffers. Just part of her personality I guess.
Nice people are great/ she’s just not a good coach.

Arizona Is 2 innings away from the WCWS. That is a team that I have tremendous respect for this season. Started extremely horrible, kinda how we were like in 2020, and they rided the wave, stuck together & are extremely close to get back.

Reactions: Majors
Any word re portal activity for the LVs?

Bender and McCatchren are in the portal. Fox is going to be a grad transfer somewhere else. There are three players considering taking an medical scholarship rather than trying to continue through injuries.

As for players coming in, they are hosting two players from other power five schools on visits this week. I do not know who.

Bender and McCatchren are in the portal. Fox is going to be a grad transfer somewhere else. There are three players considering taking an medical scholarship rather than trying to continue through injuries.

As for players coming in, they are hosting two players from other power five schools on visits this week. I do not know who.

You mean medical retirement strongly suggested by Karen.

With their history of injures, I don't have high hopes of Amanda Curran or Caliyah Thompson ever contributing.

I think the writing is on the wall for Webber but we shall see. I don't necessarily see her transferring but she could leave the team and stay in school. Regardless, what time she got this year she looked horrible.

I think with an OF spot, and possibly more than one if West moves to catcher, opening up I could see Katie Taylor challenging for playing time. Underwood doesn't really fit in anywhere.
Heard that Thompson got hurt shortly before post season again. Some talk that she is facing her third shoulder surgery since she’s been at UT. Not looking very promising for her to even continue playing softball after this season.

I’m assuming Caliyah, Olivia, and Amanda C although I think Amanda C can swing it if she gets confidence in her knee. But I certainly understand the frustration of fighting injuries or being suggested it might be for the best.

What a choke job from Arkansas.

OU's championship is going to be very easy with all these subpar teams making the WCWS. Arizona, Oregon State, Texas and possibly Florida if they beat VT.

If Florida doesn't win there will be no SEC teams in the WCWS. I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'm also not that impressed by Northwestern and I think they're overseeded. ASU also choked against them yesterday. If ASU can pull it out that will be three Pac-12 teams in the WCWS, including two who beat SEC teams in their regionals in Arizona (who also beat an SEC in their Super Regional) and Oregon State.

OU's championship is going to be very easy with all these subpar teams making the WCWS. Arizona, Oregon State, Texas and possibly Florida if they beat VT.

If Florida doesn't win there will be no SEC teams in the WCWS. I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'm also not that impressed by Northwestern and I think they're overseeded. ASU also choked against them yesterday. If ASU can pull it out that will be three Pac-12 teams in the WCWS, including two who beat SEC teams in their regionals in Arizona (who also beat an SEC in their Super Regional) and Oregon State.

Kind of like when every team magically lost in the playoffs and didn’t have to face the 85 Bears

Reactions: volman128
You mean medical retirement strongly suggested by Karen.

No, I mean consulting with multiple medical experts in town and out to see if it’s possible for them to continue playing. I don’t believe she wants to see any of them go and it wouldn’t free up much scholarship money regardless.

Reactions: IBlvNTmWrk
Arizona Is 2 innings away from the WCWS. That is a team that I have tremendous respect for this season. Started extremely horrible, kinda how we were like in 2020, and they rided the wave, stuck together & are extremely close to get back.

Honestly ... I think a lot if it with Arizona is luck. They were bad during the regular season from start to finish. It's not like they came on strong at the end. They went to Mizzou -- a team that never should've been hosting -- and they were lucky enough to get Mississippi State in the Supers. Similarly, Oregon State got a team that always chokes in postseason (us) and then played Stanford.

I will hand it to Texas, though. They won a regional vs. a superior opponent on the road and then won a Super against #4 after losing the first game.

Reactions: MS_LdyVols_fan
What if Texas is just better and Arkansas got the benefit of the doubt as the champion of a league that is probably at its worst in over a decade.

I know all schedules aren’t created equal but Tennessee finished 3rd in this league and didn’t even make it out of regionals. 3rd place was a lock for a super 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: anecwnrjcns12

I hope one of them is a pitcher.

What if Texas is just better and Arkansas got the benefit of the doubt as the champion of a league that is probably at its worst in over a decade.

I know all schedules aren’t created equal but Tennessee finished 3rd in this league and didn’t even make it out of regionals. 3rd place was a lock for a super 5 years ago.

Texas is nowhere near overall a better team than Arkansas. I tip my hat to them beating Washington and Arkansas, but Arkansas choked. They only scored one run in the last two games of the Supers and Texas doesn't exactly have lights out pitching. Hell they looked like ... us.

It was always going to be easy for OU. Obviously the SEC was down this year. The only team that has given OU fits has been FSU and they won’t even be there.

It was always going to be easy for OU. Obviously the SEC was down this year. The only team that has given OU fits has been FSU and they won’t even be there.
I feel like if all of the remaining teams only UCLA & Oklahoma State have a chance at taking the title from OU. I feel like year in and year out OU has always gotten the easy road which frustrates me because if you’re the number 1 seed then you should have the hardest road to prove that you deserve that 1 next to your name. Also someone mentioned that Northwestern was overseeded and I kind of agree but I think they got the 9 seed because they beat Washington, Clemson, & UCLA all teams that we lost to. I think that if we beat all 3 of them then we would have got the 9 seed.

VN Store

Back